What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH.com.au: Vagana, Albert: In the Firing Line

SMH.com.au said:
Albert and Vagana in firing line
Greg Prichard
August 8, 2006

NEW Zealand Test star Nigel Vagana and Newcastle's 1997 grand final hero Darren Albert are in line to be dumped from the Cronulla team as coach Stuart Raper searches for answers to a six-game losing streak.

The demotion of centre Vagana, who will leave the club at the end of the season to join South Sydney, and winger Albert would not bother hard-core Sharks fans, who have bombarded the club with emails criticising their form and the form of other players.

Raper set the scene for likely changes when he was blunt in his criticism of players after Cronulla's 12-10 loss to the Warriors in Auckland on Saturday night, which meant the Sharks dropped out of the top eight.

"We have players in the side who are noted try-scorers and they are not scoring tries," Raper said. "They are not putting themselves in position and they are not doing things to score tries." Raper said players had to "aim up a bit more".

Although he didn't name them, it was clear Raper was talking about Vagana and Albert.

Asked yesterday for his opinion on the form of Vagana and Albert, Raper replied: "I said my piece in public without naming names. I'm not going to elaborate on it. We're not scoring tries at the moment."

Whether the coach goes ahead and drops Vagana and Albert for the game against Parramatta at Toyota Park on Saturday night may depend on whether Phil Bailey and David Simmons are today confirmed as being available for comebacks.

Centre or back-rower Bailey and winger or fullback Simmons have been out injured recently, but Raper said it was "looking positive" for the return of both players. Cronulla's depth is stretched otherwise.

Raper said he had to be prepared to do whatever he thought necessary to try to revive Cronulla's finals hopes or he would be letting himself, the team and the club down.

"I have to decide whether we persist with the personnel or make changes," he said. "I have shown a lot of faith for a long time. But there is no point in making changes unless you can improve the team.

"Some of the players we look at as try-scorers either aren't in position or we're not getting the ball to them and I have to look at all of the aspects. I haven't made any decisions yet, but Bailey and Simmons coming back would obviously increase our options.

"I have to make sure the decisions I make affect the team in a positive way … I've got a responsibility to the club to win games and unfortunately the individual sometimes pays a price for that.

"As sympathetic as I am with the players that I work with, I have to be prepared to make big calls and I am prepared to do that. I don't think we're that far off getting it together, but you can't lose six straight and not look at possibly changing things."

Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce backed Raper's judgement, saying the coach could make whatever calls he thought were necessary to try to get the team winning again.

Asked about the ongoing debate about whether the combination of halfback Brett Kimmorley and five-eighth Adam Dykes worked, Raper said it was a non-issue. "I don't think they're the problem," he said. "Noddy [Kimmorley] had an outstanding game the other night. He was probably our best player. Adam played pretty well, too. That is not the issue with us."

Raper also said after the loss to the Warriors that the Sharks were "struggling a bit up front", but he said yesterday that was more an observation than a criticism and that injuries had weakened the pack and made it hard for the younger players there.

I'm not usually one for rehashing news stories from other sites, but I thought this was particularly interesting.

You can get the full story here.

fatshark

Bench
I have to be prepared to make big calls and I am prepared to do that. I don't think we're that far off getting it together, but you can't lose six straight and not look at possibly changing things."

umm its to late super coach you goose.

sharkadelic

Juniors
I didnt want to start a new thread as there enough already but I thought this was an interesting quote by Baz.

"Thankfully, most of the players involved in the Premier League game will not be here next season. If they haven't got pride in the team they're playing for, they shouldn't be playing for the club."
- Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce laments the attitude of the club's lower-grade sides.

The full article can be read http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20053092-23214,00.html

Sharks stars face axeBy Steve Mascord
August 08, 2006 SHARKS chief executive Greg Pierce will read the riot act to youngsters at the club this week, saying he'll be "interested" to see which players coach Stuart Raper drops from his NRL side tonight.

A fuming Pierce labelled the performances of the Premier League (78-6) and Jersey Flegg (44-10) sides against Canberra as "embarrassing", accusing players of giving up.
And after the first-grade side's sixth consecutive loss, 12-10 to the Warriors on Saturday, Raper said he was disappointed with the contributions of "noted try scorers".

"He's disappointed with a few of the players and he's going to be letting them know that this week," said Pierce.

Asked whether Nigel Vagana and Darren Albert's positions were in jeopardy, Pierce replied: "They're our two noted try scorers.

"It will be interesting to see when he picks his team if he does something about that.

"He's actually got (Phil) Bailey and (David) Simmons back from injury.

"People have been saying for a couple of weeks that Stuart needed to make changes, but with so many injuries in the club it's been hard for him because he hasn't had the depth.

"We've gone from a comfortable situation to a desperate situation in six weeks.

"It's getting to the stage where if they don't find it in the next week, the season's going to be over."

The Sharks host on-fire Parramatta at Toyota Park on Saturday.

"The lower grades were embarrassing," Pierce said.

"I certainly wouldn't say first grade is embarrassing us.

"Thankfully, most of the players involved in the Premier League game will not be here next season.

"If they haven't got pride in the team they're playing for, they shouldn't be playing for the club.

"The scores would suggest they went out and they didn't put an effort in.

"They threw in the towel."

Pierce also said he "hoped" NRL stars had not slackened off since securing their futures on June 30.

"You would like to think players have got enough personal pride to not think about the next season ... because they're not going to be at the club ... or they've secured their futures," he said.

"You shouldn't be playing first grade if you're not hungry."

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Thankfully most wont be with the club next season???????

WTF sort of comment is that?

who wont be there? Why havent the public been informed about buying a new PL team?
surely the members are entitled to know???

blacktip-reefy said:

who wont be there? Why havent the public been informed about buying a new PL team?

Old school management tactic.

spider

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:

That is a truely inspirational comment. You have a problem - turn your back on it as it might be gone when you start again.

What about looking into it and rectifying it. PL is our base for FG. There are problems deep within for loses such as those on the weekend.

troy

Juniors
I thought BK played well .... and i'm sorry but i don't think it was Alberts fault either .... They never get the ball to him.... A few times with pressure on the Warriors line they were sure to crumble and we throw stupid passes.. Gallen was our best in some area's but twice on their line early on repeat sets he through crazy passes and once lashed out at that Warriors player also... Apart from that we were the better team i thought.... and don't say it was BK not getting the ball wide as he was playing 2nd fiddle to Dykes most of the night as chief play maker.....

sharky1973

Juniors
I don't know what the issue is to be honest. True, Vagana and Albert don't score tries, but the ball doesn't get to them. I don't care what Raper says, it's fact that BK and Dykes don't play well together. We should have no problem creating scoring opportunites, but we do.

I have been the sharks my whole life, we have never had a true winning culture. We never have gun players coming into first grade like the likes of almost every other club. Look at Melbourne, Cowboys and the Tigers over the years. The Saints and Dogs always seem to have great young players coming through the grades, we rarely do.

A complete overhaul of the club is needed. We plod along the same old way every season, nothing ever changes.

A bloke tried to change it... he was run out of town.

That sort of change never tastes nice. It didn't get past the gag reflex of many.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I think the problem is that Stu opened his gob to early saying the stats meant nothing in regards to the halves! Its obviously come back to bite him on the a$$.

Its now about how much of a man Stu is to go back on his word! Something tells me he is not a man so therefore wont change the problem! Its a bit like Bush saying there is no problem in Iraq

OmniShark

Juniors
H1 "I have to be prepared to make big calls and I am prepared to do that."

Complete & utter bullsh*t, months of evidence say otherwise.

H1 "I don't think they're the problem," he said. "Noddy [Kimmorley] had an outstanding game the other night. He was probably our best player. Adam played pretty well, too. That is not the issue with us."

Well there you go - QED.
The prosecution rests its case.
Raper has just missed his last chance at a lifeline.
His fate is sealed.

sharky1973

Juniors
I put Raper in the same category as Nathan Brown, can't make the hard decisions when needed. How can a coach let a team sitting in the top four at one stage lose form so badly and not do anything about it. Even though we beat Manly and Newcastle the signs were there at that point.

Inferno

Coach
The demotion of centre Vagana, who will leave the club at the end of the season to join South Sydney, and winger Albert would not bother hard-core Sharks fans, who have bombarded the club with emails criticising their form and the form of other players.

Bah last time "hardcore fans" emailed the club they were called idiots, go figure.

Raper said players had to "aim up a bit more".

wtf does that even mean. Whats even worse is that is probably as technical as he gets.

Raper said he had to be prepared to do whatever he thought necessary to try to revive Cronulla's finals hopes or he would be letting himself, the team and the club down.

Except change the halves it seems :roll:

"As sympathetic as I am with the players that I work with, I have to be prepared to make big calls and I am prepared to do that.

DROPPING ALBERT IS NOT A BIG CALL DUMBASS.

Asked about the ongoing debate about whether the combination of halfback Brett Kimmorley and five-eighth Adam Dykes worked, Raper said it was a non-issue. "I don't think they're the problem," he said. "Noddy [Kimmorley] had an outstanding game the other night. He was probably our best player. Adam played pretty well, too. That is not the issue with us."

FMFF, our best player? OPEN YOUR EYES. Honestly its clear he doesn't even watch the game, he must look at some other game going on in his head, or decide before the game kicks off whose going to play well and who won't.

Inferno

Coach
2nd article

"It's getting to the stage where if they don't find it in the next week, the season's going to be over."
The stage has come and gone old boy

"Thankfully, most of the players involved in the Premier League game will not be here next season.

Really, most are going? Thats funny considering THIS WEEKS TEAM IS ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AS LAST WEEKS!!!

"If they haven't got pride in the team they're playing for, they shouldn't be playing for the club.

Shouldn't the same be said about First Grade?

[/quote]"The scores would suggest they went out and they didn't put an effort in. [/quote]

Same could be said for first grade over the past 6 weeks.

"You shouldn't be playing first grade if you're not hungry."

Finally something I can agree with... Hang on a minute who picks the First Grade side every week?

I don't think I'v ever been as pissed off as I currently am after reading those articles.