What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smh league hq: Don't crucify my Origin boy

astrogirl

First Grade
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dont-crucify-my-boy/2007/05/15/1178995162573.html

Don't crucify my Origin boy

Andrew Webster | May 16, 2007

Does he have enough experience? Will he handle the pressure? Is he up to it? Leaann Mullen is worried for her son.

"I'm worried this might break him," says the mother of Newcastle's rookie halfback, after his selection in the NSW State of Origin side yesterday.

She pleaded with Blues fans not to "crucify" her 20-year-old son, Jarrod, if NSW loses game one against Queensland next Wednesday night. "There's so much pressure on him. I know in my heart that he will do well. But if he doesn't, he doesn't deserve to be crucified."

For Newcastle, Mullen had already answered the hard questions after Andrew Johns retired last month with a serious neck injury. Yes, he was up to it. But now the state asks the same after he was named as NSW halfback for the opening Origin match.
Yesterday Mullen sat in the same seat at Newcastle's EnergyAustralia Stadium as Johns did when he retired on April 10 and declared he would not let anyone down at Suncorp Stadium on May 23.

At the same time, near a coalmine between Singleton and Muswellbrook in the Hunter Valley, his father Steve - a former Bulldogs and Wests second-rower during the 1980s - was asleep, before starting a night shift.

Around the corner, at Hunter Valley Hampers and Gifts, his mother Leeann made her plea to Blues fans to go easy on her son.

Mullen has grown tired of comparisons to Johns almost as much as the retired playmaker has. A message from Johns was delivered to the press asking it not "to ask any of those stupid questions about being the next Joey" - or the media conference would be cut short. Yet the similarities are remarkable.

Johns was thrown in the Origin deep end in 1995 when Super League thrust him into the No. 7 jumper ahead of time. He was 21.

"I've had the best help in the world from Joey," Mullen said. "I'm just looking forward to my time now and looking to play my own game."

All that's needed now is one of those Johns-like performances.

IanG

Coach
Selectors have obviously taken the view of your good enough your old enough. No doubt that he has the talent but can he be cool under pressure. We'll have to wait and see. I wish him luck

voltron

Juniors
man
but u cant help but feel a little embarassed for the guy
i mean guys are already saying he's too young without his mum coming out to say, dont be too hard on him......

Pika

Bench
Is there ever an age where your Mum stops embarrising you?

Remember years ago when Homoano (sp) got knocked out for the Bulldogs and his Mum ran on the field.

Great stuff.

Mums are great.

Tams

Juniors
I have no doubt Mullen's ready for it - I remember him saying when Joey retired that he didn't want to be "the next Joey" - he wanted to play his own game and I think that shows the maturity beyond his years the media keeps going on with.

Got to agree with Voltron though - having his mum come out and protect him has got to be mortifying!

roopy

Referee
I agree with his mum.
He never played halfback in the juniors, had maybe half a dozen games at halfback in PL and has has half a dozen games at halfback in firstgrade.
How desperate are the selectors to name a 20 yo with a dozen games at halfback in his life as the playmaker for NSW.
The kid is a fantastic talent - but if he doesn't produce no one should be surprized. The selectors should take any blame going.

macavity

Referee
Mullo reminds me more of Thurston than anybody else

and just like Thurston, he is a natural 5/8 playing half...

give him a few years and he will be up there with him - but its a tough ask right this minute.

this will either make or break him - im quietly confident SOO 1 2007 will be the making of Jarrod Mullen.

Ben

Bench
All great players come out with the goods when thrust into adversity. I'm pretty sure Mullen is a great player.