What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Riddell's old school charm revived as Eels roll on

mickdo

Coach
SMH said:
Riddell's old school charm revived as Eels roll on
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/riddells-old-school-charm-revived-as-eels-roll-on/2006/08/13/1155407670662.html
Greg Prichard
August 14, 2006

THE sight of Parramatta hooker Mark "Pig" Riddell throwing the big dummy from dummy-half, fooling the Cronulla defenders and then slipping through the gap to score a try at Toyota Park would have warmed the hearts of older league fans.

There are so many super athletes in league now, conditioned to play the game at peak fitness and show little emotion, but Riddell is the type of player with whom people can still identify. He carries a bit of weight, he loves a beer, he has a bit of fun on the field and he's got plenty of old-style tricks up his sleeve.

I'm not saying Riddell is not an athlete. He couldn't play first grade if he wasn't fit enough. But he isn't obsessed. He created his own mould. Most importantly, the bloke is a hell of a player when he's firing, and right now - like so many of his Eels teammates - he's at the top of his game.

Parramatta did it again on Saturday night, rolling to their eighth straight win as their amazing turnaround continued. At the same time, the Sharks continued their woeful run in which they have gone from being top-four aspirants to outside of the top eight.

After 16 rounds, Cronulla had a win-loss record of 9-5. At the same time, the Eels were 4-10. Since then, the Sharks haven't won and Parramatta haven't lost, so the result of this game was no shock. Cronulla rallied for a while, as desperate teams often manage to do, but they couldn't take it all the way. After the Sharks led 12-8 at half-time it was all Parramatta.

The Eels were fabulous in the end, but there were a few signs in the first half that would have caused the club's coaching staff a bit of concern. Parramatta looked like they weren't as determined to do the hard work as they had been earlier in their winning streak and wanted to get to the lead a bit too easily.

But they got the building blocks out again at the start of the second half and laid the foundation for what became a runaway, 34-14 win. They are playing a similar style to Melbourne's, with the speed of their game making it difficult for opponents to contain them.
I have to agree, although after a streak this long you'd be hard pressed to go without a few down halves of football every now and then.

Utey

Coach
Pretty good little article. And it made me think thats right, we did it tough out of our own end.

Kornstar

Coach
Cronulla dominated us, however it was our committment that really shone through in the end.

Melbourne were down 10-0 at half time yesterday too, you can't be perfect for 80 minutes all the time......

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
maybe we should give the Sharks a bit of credit for the way they played in the first half

I must say, we looked alot fitter than we did at the start of the year

Stagger eel

Staff member
The pleasing aspect was that they were much more desperate than us and really showed in the firat half and it wasn't like they tried to put all their eggs in one basket if you look at the bench that they chose for the match they had strike weapons sitting there but we just kept the intensity for the full 80 and they just couldn't.

This week is different danger against a side with a completely different attitude and they will be really tough.

parra pete

Referee
Twizzle said:
maybe we should give the Sharks a bit of credit for the way they played in the first half

The side has been given a Melbourne Cup style preparation!!!!

Hellsy

Immortal
Twizzle said:

100%!!!
Same with Brisbane yesterday, they went into the game very strong

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Nickeel said:
Well whenever I look at Piggy I think 'thoroughbred!'. :lol:

Nick

As in could eat a horse (and chase the rider):lol:

In all seriousness though, I think Riddell is a barometer of our side. When he is firing the team fires. His enthusiasm is a very underrated, important part of our team.

Nickeel

Juniors
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
As in could eat a horse (and chase the rider):lol:

In all seriousness though, I think Riddell is a barometer of our side. When he is firing the team fires. His enthusiasm is a very underrated, important part of our team.

I have always thought the last couple of years that when Cayless is fired up and making metres, we win. And yeah, same with Riddell - they're two of those players who will really give you an indication early of how the team will fare.

Nick

varion

Juniors
Not to put the mocker on but, when Cayless is in form you notice the errors go out of his game.

Hes back to his best, doesnt make a terrible lot of metres compared to the best proprs but his defence is top notch and he tries all day long.

Riddel is a very smart player, he causes defences grief with his running game. I dont think we have seen the best of Piggy yet, I still think he was playing better at the Dragons before here, he may be working himself towards it though.

Latest posts