1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

SMH:Smith's the man to take over from me, says Cayless

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by lucablight, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lucablight

lucablight Bench

source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-over-from-me-says-cayless-20100410-rzq6.html

2. andrew057

andrew057 First Grade

Dont think so. Ben Smith was struggling to make the starting XIII last year before the team went on its run and has been rather lacklustre again this season. I'd prefer someone else.

3. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Benny would be a good option, he's becoming a very good backrower and I know he is highly respected by the guys. Mannah or KK are probably the other options, or even a few years of Luke Burt.

4. Stagger eel

Stagger eel Moderator Staff Member

given that it was endorsed by our captain of 10 years than Ben Smith would be an ideal replacement.

5. strider

strider Post Whore

i think ben appears to traverse the generation gap in our team - seems to get on well with the oldies and the youngies .... might be a good option if he can continue to cement his role in the back row this year

6. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I'm all for Benny.

7. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

I'd be happy with Benny and I'm sure he' be pretty wrapped to be nominated by Caylo

8. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Coach

:|

9. The EELiminator

The EELiminator Coach

theres a joke there but im not touching it :sto:

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Juniors

start developing hayne for the captaincy.

during the streak last year, the boys would be gather together on the field before a the kick-off. hayne was the one that was doing all the talking and all the others were listening to his instructions and looked like the real leader of the team.

11. bartman

bartman Immortal

Interesting. I'd never thought of Smith as captaincy material before...

But if he's playing the bulk of the game (60-80 mins) in the back row, and guys like Cayless are coming out in his corner, then I'd assume it's a done deal for next season (or if Cayless misses a game). Well done Benny :clap:.

On a side note, did anyone else read the quote from Hindmarsh about how he couldn't see himself running out under another player as a signal that he might be thinking about calling it quits at the end of the year...?

12. Parra Guru

Parra Guru Coach

Benny is actually one of the few guys who look like they give a sh*t when we're down.

Good choice IMO

13. SCoops

SCoops Juniors

I could see Benny doing this.

As for Hayne... He need to prove himself first. As much as I like him as a player, he needs to have more than just one half of a good season to be the captain.

If Hayne continues to play like he did late last year and can show some leadership over a couple of years then yes.. by all means give it to him.

Cheers

Coops

14. Fathead

Fathead Bench

Im telling you that if Tim Mannah establishes himself in the side this year, he will be the long term captain.
    Tim is definately the person that Ando is looking at.

15. NorthShoreEel

NorthShoreEel Bench

Can't agree with the post that Smith has been lackluster. He is one of the only ones that can hold their heads up ATM IMO.

As for Mannah, he's a kid. Give him a few years to develop as a prop first. ( he doesn't have the same maturity that cayless did at the same age)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  16. Nikki

Nikki Coach

Yeah I noticed that comment as well. Was gunna bring it up in the other thread, but didnt want to add to all the consipracy theorists in here. lol. I dont think it comes across in written form as it was meant.

17. CrazyEel

CrazyEel Bench

Can't anything be taken at face value anymore, maybe he just means what he said, he'll find it hard running out onto the field without his mate being there.

Anyway, I do think Caylo would know the players pretty well so if he feels Smith can do the job then then I'd like to see him get it.

18. natheel

natheel Coach

as much as id love to see hindy get the captaincy i think we should give to someone who will carry it on for a while just like caylo did, hindy i think will be retired in 3 years, benny looks like he is loyal and respected.

19. natheel

natheel Coach

well cayless has always been hindys captain itll be weird for him for sure

20. Western_Eel

Western_Eel Juniors

I think Johnathan Thurston should be our next captain!