What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Why some don't love NYC

girvie

Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/why-some-dont-love-nyc/2007/08/17/1186857781425.html

TO STEAL a line from a rival code's advertising campaign, you don't know Jay Lasscock … yet.

Lasscock is a front-rower with Canberra who, in one of the game's true curiosities, is likely to relocate to Brisbane to stay with the Raiders.

Lasscock is seen as a future first-grader, but at 20 years old, is considered too young at the moment. Which means next year, after the introduction of the National Youth Competition (NYC), he is playing league limbo.

With the Raiders choosing not to field a side in the new NSWRL open-age competition next season, which will replace premier league, Lasscock will have to uproot his young family in order to play with Canberra's feeder side, Souths Logan, in the Queensland Cup.

"Every team's got them," Raiders general manager Don Furner says. "Not many forwards go straight into first grade at such a young age."

Rooster David Shillington is regarded as one of the outstanding up-and-coming props, yet he is already 24 years old, having made his first-grade debut when he was almost 22. Melbourne's Ben Cross is one of the best front-rowers in the game, yet he made his debut, for Canberra, when he was 24.

This is the crux of a groundswell of opposition to the new competition. Not so much the premise of it, but the format. Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart has been a vocal critic of the under-20 age group, believing the competition should be for under 22s. Here's why: statistics unearthed by one club official show that of 248 players to make their first-grade debuts between 2003 and 2006, just 11 of them came directly from Jersey Flegg, the code's present under-20s competition.

Others, however, don't know what all the fuss is about. Tigers coach Tim Sheens told the Herald the controversy over the new competition was "a load of crap", believing the NYC would give rugby league an advantage in the battle with rugby union and the AFL for the elite juniors.

"Where are they playing now?" Sheens said. "They're playing premier league. What are we worried about? Flegg is an under-20 competition. All we've done is upgrade the competition. We've got a great vehicle to attract young kids to our sport, because of the attractiveness of the competitions."

Sheens is one of many NRL coaches planning to play his elite under-20s talent in the new open-age competition anyway, because it will pit them with and against players with first-grade experience, and thereby give them a better grounding for the NRL.

"If I've got two 18-year-olds, I might play one in premier league, if that's the best option, to play them with older players and against older players," Sheens said. "And if they're good enough, they'll play first grade. This crap, 'What about the late developers?' … we haven't taken premier league out of the competition."

Sort of. The Bulldogs, Manly and Western Suburbs will field teams in next year's open-age competition, while the majority of NRL sides have formed arrangements with other clubs to play in it. Brisbane will continue their arrangement with Aspley in the Queensland Cup, North Queensland with the Young Guns, and Melbourne with Brisbane Norths and the Central Coast. And it should be said, Canberra could have fielded a side but chose to link with Logan.

As Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said, "There will be an evolution" of the competition. And for the moment, there will be no revolution; it will run next season in under-20s form and will be reviewed thereafter. "We still lose good young players from North Queensland to Brisbane and Sydney," Cowboys boss Peter Parr said. "Now there's a career path."

For most, anyway. You don't know Jay Lasscock … and time will tell if you ever do.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Exactly.

Everyone had a chance to get a team in the NSWRL, Canberra declined and it isn't the NYCs fault.

colonel_123

Juniors
I don't really get all this anxiety over the under 20s comp.

All that's changed is that Jersey Flegg has been expanded to 16 teams.

There's still going to be a Harold Matthews, SG Ball, Jim Beam Cup, Queensland Cup and Premier League comp.

The only problems that have arisen have come from clubs like Canberra that are using the introduction of the new comp as a cost cutting measure by dumping their premier league side.

Raider_69

Post Whore
alot of fans are filthy at the club for declining to field a team in the NSWRL... im one of them, no sympathy from me Donny... you made our bed, now lets see you try and fit all of us under the sheets

joshreading

Staff member
I think canberra should try and field a combined side with Riverina that plays out of Viking Park in the south, at Seiffert in Quenbeyan and in Wagga.

Hanscholo

Bench
I agree that the reason this young fella has to move to QLD is Canberra's fault, if fault is even a term that can be applied to that situation.

Clearly since the early nineties grade football other than 1st grade has been on the way out. As the competition becomes more and more national, travel becomes more and more of an issue for clubs to deal with.

As we have seen over the past years, most non NSW clubs have ditched the reserve grade competition in favour of their local competitions, or feeder clubs in strong non NRL leagues.

I think the league are really looking at developing a competition that has all of the hallmarks of the Arrive Alive Cup, but with some additional skill and focus on it. I agree with Sheens, not only is it a great medium for players to be involved with but it will be a great addition or spectators.

Reserve grade football is not meant to be elite, its meant to be a stepping stone up or out, and it will still be exactly that. NSW clubs may have a slight advantage because the level of the games are stronger than the other feeder methods, but the advantage will be slight. If any of you have seen the standard of the QRL Comp this year im sure you would agree, any team using a highly ranked side from the Brisbane comp is missing out on nothing in terms of skills, coaching and experience.

All the elite under 20 comp will do is give us some additional football to watch, at higher levels; I have no problem with that.

Canard

Immortal
Brisbane will continue their arrangement with Aspley in the Queensland Cup, North Queensland with the Young Guns, and Melbourne with Brisbane Norths and the Central Coast. And it should be said, Canberra could have fielded a side but chose to link with Logan.

I dont believe that Brisbane have continued their relationship but happy to stand corrected, and the Young Guns no longer exist.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
sad but any article that says "Melbourne's Ben Cross is one of the best front-rowers in the game, yet he made his debut, for Canberra, when he was 24."

that lost it for me...why would they even write the bs up??

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think the main problem is that Reserve grade/Premier League has always been used to allow young players to gain experience from the older guys. Sure some kids are freaks but others need a little time to develop and having the experience of learning of guys coming to the ends of their career has helped many great players. This process seems to be the victim. I think we will see many more young players faulter and either not make grade or have very limited careers. Also, the step up is going to be alot harder.

D

Deleted member 10972

They called Shillo the Pillo an outstanding frontrower lol.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
League went halfway between the american collegiate system they were aiming for and JF. IMO those who are U20 should NOT be allowed to play first grade (except those who have already made their debut), this would lengthen the playing careers as they wont get that many injuries etc. If they are good enough, let them make the transition to FG when their 21 OR let them learn discipline etc from the bunch of older reserve graders who would play at more traditional/suburban grounds.

By allowing soem U20 players in FG, the NYC is undervalued and is seen as only a reserve grade comp instead of an elite junior comp (bcoz elite players will be in FG)

My biggest concern over the NYC was what it might do to the Qld Cup. So far it hasn't had a huge affect. The only thing it has done is seen the Young Guns go, but luckily Cairns will replace them and Aspley go, which doesn't really matter. What might happen to Norths or the Titans clubs in the future I don't know. There must still be some uncertainty there, but at least the implications don't seem to be too serious just yet.