What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith court action looms

Pantherjim.

Referee
I hope for three outcomes from any legal action that the Raiders may (and should) launch.

1 - Nathan Smith is found to have breached his original contract, but is permitted to remain with Penrith
2 - The NRL rules governing this aspect of contracts is found to be illegal and throw out
3 - The Raiders receive substantial remuneration from the morally bankrupt scum Panthers.

Oh for Farks sake will you stop whinging!

If the boot was on the other foot and Carney had signed with us and yet used the loophole to reneg on the contract later you would be defending the rule left right and f**king centre!

It's a loophole that is perfectly legit... Get the f**k over it already! It's not our fault Smith wants to stay!

Big Mick

Referee
I hope for three outcomes from any legal action that the Raiders may (and should) launch.

1 - Nathan Smith is found to have breached his original contract, but is permitted to remain with Penrith
2 - The NRL rules governing this aspect of contracts is found to be illegal and throw out
3 - The Raiders receive substantial remuneration from the morally bankrupt scum Panthers.

Can you sound any more like a whinging bitch?

1 - No contract was signed and Penrith did not wave their last right of reply, which in essence meant that Penrith could still offer. Perhaps the problem is clubs announcing signings way too early with the knowledge that the last right of reply exists.

2 - How is it illegal. Canberra have no basis for any type of legal action at all and if it went to court it'd be thrown out in a heartbeat. This is what the Players Association and Clubs agreed on. To suggest the rules change now because a club actioned it is ridiculous. As others have stated...if Todd Carney had signed with Manly...and then Canberra changed their mind and re-signed him prior to June 13...would you then back legal action? f**k no...you'd be loving it and rubbing it into the Manly supporters. As you usually do anyway.

3 - As if that'll happen...seriously?...Morally Bankrupt my arse. How quickly some forget that in fact Canberra is the same club that ditched a number of players over the years instead of supporting them through problems because it was so much easier. Also the club whose supporters threaten and enact violence on players that leave a club...yet Penrith are morally bankrupt for allowing a player who wanted to stay...the opportunity to do so. Far out some people are so remarkably stupid...why would any form of compensation be given.

Look I appreciate Canberra as a club are pissed...they now need to change their recruitment strategy...fair enough. But realistically who wants to play in that sh!thole. What players would you have attracted? If you had to pay $250k a year for someone like SMith and he has decided to stay at Penrith for $200k...which imo is still too much but fair enough, then who else would you have attracted???

All the Canberra club...as a whole...seem to be doing is bitching. Take legal action against Niel Henry...didn't happen...take legal action against the NRL, Smith and Penrith...wont happen...take legal action against Robert Finch even though your team got mauled on Friday...wont happen. Just get over it. Move on. Yeah you've been kicked in the nuts a few times, but threatening baseless legal action over everything just highlights how stupid your management is.

If anything everyone should be praising this "loophole"...as it stuffs clubs who put all their eggs in one basket to sign a player prior to their contract being registered. It also promotes the opportunity for loyalty.

For too long this game has been promoting players departing rather than staying. If anything this rule has highlighted an opportunity for players to stay at a club that they enjoy playing for and remaining loyal to their team and the supporters of that team.

While i'm not thrilled that Nathan Smith is staying, I appreciate the fact the guy is settled at Penrith and developing into a decent enough lock forward. I appreciate that he enjoy's the playing environment enough that he in fact WANTS to stay...For that reason i'm happy enough that he is staying. He wants to stay loyal. That's something that should be encouraged, not threatened with legal action over.

Big Mick

Referee
On the other hand, just because a contract has been signed that doesn't mean it's necessarily legally binding.

I'm not familiar with NRL contracts but there could be a term that means the contract is not binding until registered by the NRL.

CORRECT.

Contracts cannot be registered with the NRL until June 13 unless the club who the player comes from...has waived the right of final reply prior to that date to the NRL itself.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: All this over Nathen Smith, if canberra's legal team think they can get some cash out of this, awesome, having penrith pay us not to have nathen smith seems like a brilliant outcome for mine

but if there is the slightest chance the verdict would go penrith's way, i hope the club dont bother, he's not a good enough player to warrent wasting cash on...

Matt Elliott, what a dope :lol:

Syren

Juniors
I knew most Raiders fans are happy about this u-turn, if you get some sort of compo out of it then even better.