What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith welcomes lack of Eels hype.

scottyeel

Bench
Parramatta veteran Ben Smith welcomes the lack of hype around the Eels ahead of the 2011 NRL season.
The Eels started the 2010 campaign as favourites to win their first premiership since 1986 but flopped miserably, finishing 12th, leading to the sacking of coach Daniel Anderson.
The recruitment of veterans Chris Hicks, Chris Walker, Casey McGuire and Carl Webb has been derided by many, but Smith believes their experience is just what the team needed.
"Some of the reaction from the media has been a bit over-the-top and surprising, Carl, Casey and Chris are all Queensland representatives and have great ability," Smith told AAP.
"Carl has dropped seven kilos and is in great shape and to see these guys in training, they are tearing the place down and being a great example to the younger guys, who are thriving off their enthusiasm."
Smith, who is entering his eighth season with the Eels, also believes Jarryd Hayne is looking sharper than ever.
"Haynesy is always a wanted man, but the attention has been away from him for a bit and I think he is thriving on that," he said.
"The time he has had off due to injury has allowed some down time, which he hasn't had for a couple of years and he looks a lot lighter on his feet and that is great for us."
The Eels open against the Warriors on Saturday week at Eden Park and Smith said the squad is like a coiled spring, ready to get into action.
"We just want to start now, the trials have been good, the new coach has got us where he wants us and none of us can wait for next week to come.
"We believe we have a strong squad, a top class coach and can go much better than last season."

http://www.nrl.com/smith-welcomes-lack-of-eels-hype/tabid/10874/newsid/61587/default.aspx

spartan2153

Juniors
Its actually good to hear someone else speak apart from the chosen one.

Well done ben smith a potential future captain once hindy goes

Eels Dude

Coach
A lot of cliches in there, but it's good to hear Ben Smith speaking at least because he'll be our next captain if he stays with the club post next year. But yeah those comments reak of a cliched script of what to say to the media, but that's fair enough given he's probably not used to talking to the media.

The Colonel

Immortal
A lot of cliches in there, but it's good to hear Ben Smith speaking at least because he'll be our next captain if he stays with the club post next year. But yeah those comments reak of a cliched script of what to say to the media, but that's fair enough given he's probably not used to talking to the media.

Mannah is the captain in waiting. As much as I like Ben he'll remain as part of the leadership group and captain only in Tim's absence......

Eels Dude

Coach
Mannah is the captain in waiting. As much as I like Ben he'll remain as part of the leadership group and captain only in Tim's absence......

It's the coaches decision. But if I was a betting man I'd put money on Smith to take over as captain once Hindy retires. Thta's if he is still at the Eels. Cayless already gave him the endorsment which has to be respected. If Hindy misses games for whatever reason this year there's no doubt in my mind Ben Smith will be captain if he's in the starting side.

typicalfan

Coach
It's the coaches decision. But if I was a betting man I'd put money on Smith to take over as captain once Hindy retires. Thta's if he is still at the Eels. Cayless already gave him the endorsment which has to be respected. If Hindy misses games for whatever reason this year there's no doubt in my mind Ben Smith will be captain if he's in the starting side.
i think you would lose that bet. Mannah has captaincy written all over him, he is Cayless mkII

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think it would probably be Smith if only because he's older and he's been around longer than Mannah.

With the leadership group probably every club has, there's no big difference between most captains and the other senior players. The bloke with the little 'c' next to his name is just a figurehead for the fans and the refs.

It would be more of a snub for Ben Smith not to be named captain than for Mannah to miss out. After all, he'd probably be captain after Ben Smith leaves/retires anyway.

I'm tipping Bennett will give the captaincy to Cooper.

You don't think Isaac Luke's got what it takes?

Eels Dude

Coach
i think you would lose that bet. Mannah has captaincy written all over him, he is Cayless mkII

He will be a great captain Mannah. But so would Smith. By the time Hindy retires it will just be a 50/50 decision, and Mannah by then will have enough experience to do the job. But I still think if Smith is with the club he'd be front runner.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think it is funny that Smith is being touted as a future captain of the club when it wasn't all that long ago that people were outraged when he had been signed to a four year deal at the club........

yy_cheng

Coach
yeah but Mannah doesn't play 80mins and so Benny boy will be co-captain.

I would've thought that Cronk would be captain if he came.

But knowing Parra, you will see:

7. Mortimer (c)

Eels Dude

Coach
I think it is funny that Smith is being touted as a future captain of the club when it wasn't all that long ago that people were outraged when he had been signed to a four year deal at the club........

I will put myself in the position to be bagged out because I was one of them more than likely, not because I don't rate Smith, but because I personally believe no player should be signed to 5 year contracts. It's very risky. The club chose to do so in this case and as it turned they made the right decision as Ben Smith has turned out to be a great clubman.

MrT

Juniors
i think it is funny that smith is being touted as a future captain of the club when it wasn't all that long ago that people were outraged when he had been signed to a four year deal at the club........

bingo!!!!!!!!!!

MrT

Juniors
I will put myself in the position to be bagged out because I was one of them more than likely, not because I don't rate Smith, but because I personally believe no player should be signed to 5 year contracts. It's very risky. The club chose to do so in this case and as it turned they made the right decision as Ben Smith has turned out to be a great clubman.

was a 4 year contract and ben Smith should take over Hindy's role.
I'd like to see Lassalo start as he offers something different.

Eels Dude

Coach
was a 4 year contract and ben Smith should take over Hindy's role.
I'd like to see Lassalo start as he offers something different.

I wouldn't mind Lasalo starting either and have Shacks as our bench prop as opposed to that useless lump Carl Webb.

Lasalo could be used as a great impact player off the bench as opposed to starting ahead of Smith.

MrT

Juniors
I wouldn't mind Lasalo starting either and have Shacks as our bench prop as opposed to that useless lump Carl Webb.

Lasalo could be used as a great impact player off the bench as opposed to starting ahead of Smith.

Problem with that is and qwe had it last year. Ben Smith and Hindy are much alike. Lassalo offers something different. H eruns wider and runs good lines. He has better leg strength than Smith.

Shack will be on the bench as poore is injured.
Don't underestimate Webb. He's at 108kg and could surprise