What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snapshot at memberships to date

Saintsified

Bench
Memberships don't always reflect your overall fan-base. I'll always be a believer and supporter of the fact that we have the biggest overall fan-base out of every NRL club. Not everyone's going to become a member when buying a ticket on the day isn't that difficult.

You are right, but that applies to all clubs, so if we have the largest fan base why is it that ours don't join? Either we don't have that fan base we think we have or our management isn't savvy enough to get bigger numbers...point is if we weren't with Steelers we could be even lower.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Saintsified - This happens to all clubs. Fans will flock in numbers when their team is successful on and off the field. Take a look at 09 to 11. Im sure we had no problems selling membership packages. Since winning the 2010 comp, we have gone from premiers to wooden spoon contenders in 2 years. Instead of management building on this success, Doust and co have made us go backwards. What upses me the most is that the St.George brand ( with all due respect to the illawarra merger side of things) is a marketing tool in its self. We dont need our home games taken away from us. Yet we struggle to market our brand properly and become a financial powerhouse. All these aspects may drive supporters away from signing up until they see something positive once again.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
Yeah agree, they spun this super club powerhouse bullshit to us to merge and now we are worse off than alone .

GT0007

Juniors
You are right, but that applies to all clubs, so if we have the largest fan base why is it that ours don't join? Either we don't have that fan base we think we have or our management isn't savvy enough to get bigger numbers...point is if we weren't with Steelers we could be even lower.

I think we have reasonable membership by way of comparison but you're right given our fan base you would expect more. Part of that I believe is our fan base is widespread rather than local and I will give my reason for that. There is no doubt, as long ago as it was, that winning 11yrs in a row grew our supporter base hugely and we are still beneficiaries of that as being a Dragons supporter has since been inherent, as it is with some of the great clubs before the game expanded. So many of our supporters are from the country and Qld etc as they were not represented through that era. Souths went through the adversity of being kicked out of the comp and fighting their way back in which gave their supporters passion but were still struggling until Mr Hollywood Rusty got involved and good luck to them for that amazing turn around. Brisbane are really still a 1 team city and their frenzy started with SOO so the whole state got behind them when they entered as they were for several years basically the QLD SOO team playing in the ARL. Brisbane has about 2.2 million people in their metro without any competition so I'd be distraught at their membership as good as it is where we have to split 4.5 million 9 ways. Brisbane have their own TV show for god sake. Only Melbourne could compete on that level except for the stronghold that AFL has.

I also think that due to having 2 home grounds an hour apart and fuel costs, time etc deter many people from becoming a member when games are a part of the package. I'm sure and hope that there are packages to compensate but I still see it as a deterent.

Having said that I've been a Dragons supporter for 44yrs and love that Illawarra is a 50/50 member of our merger, I love that we play games at WIN stadium even though I can't attend because I feel we have alot of club spirit there. I can't think of any clubs more suited to merger than Illawarra and St George and we have to reflect on the success we've had since in the last 15yrs.

* 1 Premiership
* We've made the finals 10/15 which was 10/13 before Price
* 2 Minor Premierships
* 1 Equal Minor Premiership
* 1 Runners Up
* 1 World Club Challenge

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
I have an idea.... .... .... lol ok what if for regional supporters instead of including tickets to games we included a dvd set of the season? Realistically a dvd package is not that expensive especially in bulk. I do realise that the game tickets are all profit but as long as the membership outweighs the cost of the package you are always in front. Tadaa more members.....maybe thousands

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
Not a dvd set but live streaming which includes behind the scene etc dragons TV with login. Passwords etc, a dragons membership card that doubles up as a bank credit card or debit card,we are sponsored by a bank for gods sake...there are loads of things we could do, dragons could be resellers of sim card packages with dragons TV enabled and unmetered etc...but Doust doesn't think of anything worthwhile.

bottle

Coach
16,606. Trying to get to 17,000 by Friday night. If they reach it a Red V member will win the chance to Skydive into WIN stadium.
Just avoid the roof, it's fragile.

saint.nick

Coach

Dude, this isn't 'st.george dragons plus the steelers'. It's St George Illawarra Dragons. Original Steelers fans are just as genuine saints fans as we are. The Wests Tigers for a fact have one of the biggest fan bases too, yet they can't even rack up 7000. It's all down to management. Souths are far and away the best at it.

saint.nick

Coach
Memberships don't always reflect your overall fan-base. I'll always be a believer and supporter of the fact that we have the biggest overall fan-base out of every NRL club. Not everyone's going to become a member when buying a ticket on the day isn't that difficult.

Bar Brisbane you f**king wanker.

Elias1983

Coach
Yep I just read on dragons twitter that they have hit 17k.

Brett finch to sky dive with a red v member...

Latest posts