What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snapshot at memberships to date

The Nick

Bench
I don't see what the big deal is? Personally I never renew my membership until Feb/March. This time of year with Xmas and holidays coming up, buying footy tickets 4 months in advance just really isn't a priority. I'm sure many people are in the same boat.

If 10,000 Parra fans want to blow their whole pension on a membership the first week it becomes available and then scab cigarettes for the next fortnight, then that's their perogative.

Come the start of the season our membership base will be up thereabouts, because despite last year's results we still have the biggest and most passionate supporter base in the NRL.

It's almost like people on this forum actively look for things to complain about... Almost...

I don't see what the big deal is? Personally I never renew my membership until Feb/March. ......

ditto Nick.
I'm another of the "do something at the last minute" men.
(that must be 99% of us ;-) )

But i have GA and do not need to worry about retaining a specific reserved seat.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Yeah we should all renew and push the figures up to 20k. So then the board can think they are doing a great job and tell us that they are listening to the fans. Then nothing will change and we can enjoy more crap seasons where we worry about getting the spoon rather than make the 8. Can't remember the last time I was praying Saints don't come last prior to this season that passed.

If the board listened more to the fans then they would certainly get more memberships but they clearly don't so therefore comes the PRICE they pay for their poor organisation.

Ace-STi

Juniors
close to 3500 now :) surpassing some clubs soon that have been on sale for 1-2 months in under 2 weeks!

TruSaint

Referee
Yeah we should all renew and push the figures up to 20k. So then the board can think they are doing a great job and tell us that they are listening to the fans. Then nothing will change and we can enjoy more crap seasons where we worry about getting the spoon rather than make the 8. Can't remember the last time I was praying Saints don't come last prior to this season that passed.

If the board listened more to the fans then they would certainly get more memberships but they clearly don't so therefore comes the PRICE they pay for their poor organisation.

+1

ive just renewed my membership for the fith year running,results aside from the last couple of years i love the club and i'm putting my money in to help them climb back up the ladder and if any one jumps off after the last two season then f$#k ém go support someone else we dont need you here anyway!and if you cant get excited by the new guys coming on board and the enthusiasm that is around the club with the other players then maybe you're still dwelling on the last two seasons too much, like the gaz say's FIRE UP!
GO SAINTS 2014!!!!!!!!!

_Johnsy

Referee
I renewed, we're supposed to support them through thick and thin right? What happened to saints having the most passionate supporters..

Price/Doust + moving games = Makes Fans something, something...

IMO

Some (not those above) have the attitude of I'll support them on my terms, ie when it pleases me.

We have a responsibility as fans to support them when they need our support most.

cleary89

Coach
Every team will have fair-weather supporters.
Those that dont really follow the team, but will go to an SOO or final every now and then, when it suits them.

This thread is not about those people.Its like a NRL club supporter going to the final of the AFL , wearing a Swans jersey, cause his AFL team is " Sydney". Does he follow the Swans, know the players, or even care? Its an event...

It basically is, because the ones you are trying to say are still supporters are about on par with the september fans. Turn up when it suits them, not members, definitely not through thick and thin.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
IMO

Some (not those above) have the attitude of I'll support them on my terms, ie when it pleases me.
Plenty will probably still go to at least 4 games in 2014, which I reckon will be above the average because we have so many supporters that just love the team - and yes, they'll do so on their own terms (which is not a crime).

I don't think any of us are in a position to gauge the worth of a supporter. It's not a numbers game, or about dollars and cents. Some fans may only go to one game a year, or buy only one piece of merchandise. Others will simply 'fly the flag' so to speak... it could be something as simple as cheering the team on at the local pub or telling your mates about it at work on Monday. That's promotion too, and supporters will do this without even thinking.

The whole judgment thing of what constitutes a supporter is so out of whack, simply because of the compexities of trying to define what a supporter is.

The fact is, supporters come from all backgrounds and the opinions of these supporters are wide and varied.

_Johnsy said:
We have a responsibility as fans to support them when they need our support most.
We also have a responsibility to voice our protest when things aren't being done right. Let's get this straight, the club is asking for unconditional support here - the same people that have got the club into this strife in the first place! And I love the club, but like any relationship that love is not unconditional.

Look, they have driven the clubhouse into the ground, they are selling off our home games, and came within a whisker of sending us to the bottom of the table - when those things happen they can't expect loyal supporters to remain sedate. There will be those who protest - as is our right.

Supporters have every right to send a message to the club by voting with their game selections. If going to Kogarah only sends that message, even in a small way, then the protest is sound.

Sometimes you simply have to tell them when they are wrong.

If the club takes notice in 2014 and looks around for more amicable ways to meet the financial demands of running a football team, then we are all the better for it.

TruSaint

Referee
Well said Willow,

This whole thread has been twisted to take a pot shot at those who are expressing their frustrations. I have said it before, i will take up my renewal, not the full one... but understand clearly those who wont. But this thread isnt about me and me alone. Its about freedom of expression for ALL.

It started as a mere "look" at memberships, qualified and prefaced by our late start, and ended up with
some pretty cryptic shots, thrown into the void.

Sometimes, I think being a Saints fan should come with a warning sticker...

TruSaint

Referee
It basically is, because the ones you are trying to say are still supporters are about on par with the september fans. Turn up when it suits them, not members, definitely not through thick and thin.

No it is not the same.

The true fan, who follows every game, albeit radio / TV etc and CANT get to game due to a variety of variables, distance, money, ill health etc etc etc, is way different to the so called September fan who thinks a hooker is someone you meet on the street and calls out "go Changa" at a game.

Being a member / ticket holder does not give any of us exclusively to the use of the word "supporter".

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have said it before, i will take up my renewal, not the full one... but understand clearly those who wont. But this thread isnt about me and me alone. Its about freedom of expression for ALL.
Yep. And it's really about how we make a difference as supporters. Everyone will have their own ways of doing that.
TruSaint said:
Sometimes, I think being a Saints fan should come with a warning sticker...
I'd buy that sticker! lol. We just need a keenster graphics artist. Where's muzby and moik?

All proceeds could be donated to the Taj.

TruSaint

Referee
Yep. And it's really about how we make a difference as supporters. Everyone will have their own ways of doing that.
I'd buy that sticker! lol. We just need a keenster graphics artist. Where's muzby and moik?

All proceeds could be donated to the Taj.

Hahahahaha ... i get them printed:D:D:D
You provide the artwork lol.

bottle

Coach
There's supporting 'the team', the boys that take the field, and there is supporting 'the club'.
How do you demonstrate frustration with one without hurting the other?

hardbaby

Coach
There's supporting 'the team', the boys that take the field, and there is supporting 'the club'.

Good point although it's almost the reverse for me (or maybe the different side of the same coin). I support the club and the team that is actually playing is just the latest manifestation of that club.

One thing that does hurt is that I have contacted the club through numerous avenues and voiced my frustration in a coherent and passive manner and with the exception of one lucky phone conversation, I haven't even had a response.

The Dragons management has very obviously made the decision that they are right and we supporters are wrong. Maybe they are but they have made very little effort to cushion the never ending blows that seem to come our way. It's a real "suck it up" attitude. I don't agree with the method. I don't agree with the process. The outcome will hopefully be ok.

TruSaint

Referee

Good question bottle.

In fact therein lies the dilemma.

To me anyone that dons a Dragons jersey is like family... therefore support.
They are our players.

Behind the scenes is a board, decision makers if you will.

When one of our players has a crap game or two he is punished, by being dropped.
When the businessmen of the CLUB, sell out, there is no accountability. So therefore,
the only pertinent matter for these guys is the bottom line, which by the way, is not that pretty for a iconic club.

Our board has become a "club" within itself.

There's no easy answer, thus this thread. The argument will rage on as it does in all sports. Lets not muzzle voices or opinion, as more often than not, they do lead to some changes.

cleary89

Coach
No it is not the same.

The true fan, who follows every game, albeit radio / TV etc and CANT get to game due to a variety of variables, distance, money, ill health etc etc etc, is way different to the so called September fan who thinks a hooker is someone you meet on the street and calls out "go Changa" at a game.

Being a member / ticket holder does not give any of us exclusively to the use of the word "supporter".

And then there's the 'true fan' who doesn't renew membership because we have a monday night game or because we are playing out of town teams at Kogarah or because we came 3rd last or because they don't like the coach.

Sure, they may be fan's, but they certainly aren't supporters in my book. Supporters are there through thick and thin.

Minh

First Grade
No it is not the same.

Very well said Tru and Willow.

TruSaint

Referee
And then there's the 'true fan' who doesn't renew membership because we have a monday night game or because we are playing out of town teams at Kogarah or because we came 3rd last or because they don't like the coach.

Sure, they may be fan's, but they certainly aren't supporters in my book. Supporters are there through thick and thin.

Re-read the post.

Maybe twice. I HAVE renewed.

That is NOT what I am saying.
Taking a comment and dissecting it to your benefit, is with all due respect BS.

When have I said a Monday game has any relevance. Out of town sides YES.

What I have said, is that the JV was based on 6 games at EACH f.... stadium.
The board is accountable, not the players. Please refer to the JV announcement at the end of 98.

We now have 4 games at each venue for FOUR years.
If you are satisfied with that OK.
I for one am not. The assumption that I / we won't attend games is wrong.

As a Saints fan, i also have feelings for our Gong brothers. If this bullshit continues, how many will turn up? In a huge region getting 4 games a year ? At least us Sydney siders can get to the toilet called ANZ. Can they?

Finally, you and I are in no position to judge who is a true supporter based on an anonymous forum.

Good night and good luck.

Latest posts