What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how does this get fixed?

Tiger05

First Grade
Lol building a better roster…the sin bin saved us from copping 80 last night. Who do you claim is worth it in this current roster?

In the backs Doueihi, Brooks, Laurie are worth keeping. Nofo on fair dollars would be okay if he was surrounded with some better players.

In the forwards Stef, Seyfarth, Twal, Blore, Luc and even Garner are decent players especially for the dollars we are paying them.

Our hookers in Liddle and Simpkin also have their moments. They aren't top quality but they may get there.

stryker

First Grade
In the backs Doueihi, Brooks, Laurie are worth keeping. Nofo on fair dollars would be okay if he was surrounded with some better players.

In the forwards Stef, Seyfarth, Twal, Blore, Luc and even Garner are decent players especially for the dollars we are paying them.

Our hookers in Liddle and Simpkin also have their moments. They aren't top quality but they may get there.
Well those players will ensure we keep at 9th or lower.
Raise your f**ken standards!

Tiger05

First Grade
Which teams are rorting the cap?
I wouldn’t necessarily call those three disloyal. They came into first grade and experienced the true shitshow that this club is. With such a hostile and unpredictable work environment producing terrible on field results, it is understandable that they fled. The way they went about it is a different story however….
I think rorters and Melbourne have rorted the cap for years.

I can't respect those 3 merkins. Only a true turd runs when shit is going downhill unless it suits me at the time.

Tiger05

First Grade
Well those players will ensure we keep at 9th or lower.
Raise your f**ken standards!

Not if you get some quality players around them. I reckon 2 to 3 quality players each year plus retaining the guys we want plus another 20 years or so and we can make the 8.

stryker

First Grade
I think rorters and Melbourne have rorted the cap for years.

I can't respect those 3 merkins. Only a true turd runs when shit is going downhill unless it suits me at the time.
🤣the two most successful clubs have been cheating for years?
You love the victim mentality don’t you?

stryker

First Grade
Not if you get some quality players around them. I reckon 2 to 3 quality players each year plus retaining the guys we want plus another 20 years or so and we can make the 8.
Mediocre bullshit.
Not one of those useless arseholes is better than a 7 out of 10 player at best

Fordy20

Juniors
Probably didn't want to be the next Chris Lawrence. Spend 16 years at a club and only play finals twice.

Funny you bring up Lawrence. I haven't rated the defence of any of our centres since he was moved to the second row apart from Simona and Momo. I don't know how Gildart will go, but another decent defensive centre would be good. Joey Manu is probably the best centre in the comp, but he'll be playing fullback for the Roosters once Teddy retires. There are three blokes at Manly off contract at the moment that I would take in a heartbeat over Talau though. That's Dylan Walker, Brad Parker and Tevita Funa.

Vozzy

Juniors
The Roberts signing is OK for mine. He is playing on minimum wage and yesterday our 3 worst defenders were LL, MBye and Nofo and he was stuck in the middle of them.

If it means we have Roberts for a year while we develop Cini and Cooper and wait for the English guy then it makes sense to me.

Lets all be serious our forwards as a whole were shit they made poor contact it was impossible to stop at how easy they made our ruck defense look it made having outside backs pointless.

We desperately need at least another second rower, centre and winger. Luciano is not an 80 minute player and Garner probably played a better game than most but he's still not more than an average first grader. Hopefully Gildart makes the transition. Nofoaluma needs to go, I'm f**king sick of him.

Liddle is rocks and diamonds, Laurie appears to be regressing.

What alarms me the most is the lack of leadership in the playing group. If Doueihi was there he would at least be talking.

Tiger05

First Grade
🤣the two most successful clubs have been cheating for years?
You love the victim mentality don’t you?

I don't think I have a victim mentality at all. I'd suggest that the two most successful clubs have been rorting for years and one of those clubs was caught systematically rorting the cap.

Tiger05

First Grade
Mediocre bullshit.
Not one of those useless arseholes is better than a 7 out of 10 player at best

How do you get better players ? One thing I'm confident of is that a dumb sack everyone and rebuild approach will just make things worse.

Tiger05

First Grade
The Roberts signing is OK for mine. He is playing on minimum wage and yesterday our 3 worst defenders were LL, MBye and Nofo and he was stuck in the middle of them.

If it means we have Roberts for a year while we develop Cini and Cooper and wait for the English guy then it makes sense to me.

Lets all be serious our forwards as a whole were shit they made poor contact it was impossible to stop at how easy they made our ruck defense look it made having outside backs pointless.

I'm fine with Roberts being here but his defense is atrocious and his attack has been poor. He hasn't had many chances though with the ball.

We should definitely keep him and he either improves on his game or he doesn't get picked.

Shredder

Juniors
JTJ is cheap, has a decent amount of first grade experience and on his day "isnt shit"

He is a perfect depth player for us.

The problem is, hes playing first grade.

stryker

First Grade
How do you get better players ? One thing I'm confident of is that a dumb sack everyone and rebuild approach will just make things worse.
What we have done for the past 10 god damned years hasn’t worked. There’s no plan, no strategy. Every off season is the same…”training the house down” “fitter than ever” “this group are different”….but they aren’t. They always resort to f**ken pathetic losers by round 6.
The same f**kwits are running the club, the same f**kwits are preparing the squad, the same f**kwits are overhyping them and most of the same f**kwits who played shit last year are still front and centre trying to look tough in photoshoots.

The problem with getting good players here is that they know that they will be a West’s Tiger. This clubs culture is failure. It is a laughing stock to the general NRL community. It is not respected amongst the other 15 clubs. Even it’s name is f**ken stupid. Coming 9th has become a meme and a punchline. We are famous for failing to play finals footy….8 teams from 16 starters do it every year and we can’t get a start. JAC and Mitchell proved as much in the off season when we tried courting them. Politely say no…then piss yourself laughing at the notion. JAC even preferred to sign with the competitions worst side over us!

There are only two options:

1. Bring in the kids. Relegate these so called first graders and promote some bolters. If they show signs they can make it, stick with them. If they are drowning, cut their throats and grab another.

2. Burn the whole shitshow to the ground, relocate and start again. Sack every merkin in the club who isn’t a player from the CEO down to the bitch who answers the phones. Replace the lot.
Move somewhere out of Sydney and let the excitement of the new digs entice some talent over.

That’s it. This club missed its chance to capitalise on Robbie and Benji’s popularity when they were young and setup for the future. We failed to bring in the best administrators, coaches and trainers. We failed to capitalise financially on the excitement these two were causing and set up awesome training facilities. We failed to negotiate one home ground to call our fortress. We leveraged f**k all out of the huge amount of free to air games we were given. This all culminated in us not signing the best talent on offer. We had a small window to turn this joint into a power club and we missed it by focusing incorrectly on players who didn’t deserve their upgrades and extensions. When we won in 05 the direction should have been to use that popularity to replace the guys who won that title with better players. Instead we rewarded a bunch of good players, dishing out contracts left, right and centre whilst great players off contract were ignored. We then managed to home grow some exceptional talent and just let it walk out the door. All of these failures are the clubs fault yet the fans blame the refs, the NRL admin, the players who left and the forward thinking awesome clubs who snapped them up. Why are Melbourne and Sydney Roosters so dominant? because they cheat…f**k off.

It is all our own fault and we are reaping what was sewn 15 years ago.

Last edited:
This club missed its chance to capitalise on Robbie and Benji’s popularity when they were young and setup for the future.
Interesting point Stryker, I remember when Stephen Humphreys was appointed CEO, a good mate worked with him at Qantas and said you guys now have a very good business manager with international experience in sales and marketing, my thoughts were simply, that's good, as long as he has good staff and gets the place moving forward.

A good sales & marketing manager could have used those guys correctly, FFS they could have utilised Beau Ryan back when as well.

I remember when Humphreys left the Tigers, he was head-hunted by British Airways to lead global sales & marketing in London, he cannot be a dud, perhaps he could have led the Tigers forward.

You don't hear much about him in his present role, that's a good CEO for me.

Perhaps Sheens, Noddy and whoever can be utilised correctly and even outside of what they were employed to do, time will tell but we have all said that before.

Tiger05

First Grade
@stryker has a point but I'm not that much of a f**ken depressive. I think we are already completing step 1. Relocation shouldn't even been considered.

Further to your points stryker:

James Hooper has blasted the Tigers’ front office for the club’s dire current situation, while Paul Kent has told Michael Maguire he needs to “take a flamethrower” to his roster.

The Tigers are facing up to one of the most embarrassing losses in their history.

The Tigers are reeling after a 66-16 defeat to the Melbourne Storm on Saturday.

The perennial strugglers have failed to attract big names and are now staring at another year without finals football.

Maguire arrived at the club in 2019 turfing out some top-line talent to bring his own players in.

That hasn’t worked, however, with Kent telling Fox League’s NRL360 that Maguire hadn’t suited the players to suit his strategy.

“They’ve got to take a flamethrower to the roster, that’s what they’ve got to do,” Kent said.

“The concern for me for Michael Maguire is if you go back to his South Sydney team, would he have recruited Joey Leilua? Probably not. James Roberts? Probably not.

“He’s got to recruit players to the club that are true to the way he wants to play football and not be pressured into thinking he needs a quick fix.

“I like James Tamou but I’m talking about the other players that have been brought there, I don’t think Madge would’ve taken them at Souths.”

Maguire walked out of the sheds at halftime with his side 40-0 down, putting the onus on the players to fix their own mess.

While Maguire has built his reputation on being a defensive coach, Kent suggested it was not the system he was employing and more the desire of his players that saw them thumped at the hands of Melbourne.

“Nothing he could’ve said would’ve turned it around. When it’s 40-0, they needed to find from within,” Kent added.

“If you’re down 40-0 it’s not game plan or stats, it’s effort.

“They clearly don’t have it in them.

“Watch the game and watch how passive they are defensively – commitment to the tackle, not structure or coaching. It’s about what you’ve got in the chest.

“They go passively into the tackle where they protect their head, arm tackles, there’s no shoulder in the tackle.

“It was embarrassing. For first-grade players to be on $500,000 and more… to turn out that! Please. If they’ve got an ounce of go in them, they’d sort themselves out.”

Fox League’s James Hooper hinted at broader issues, however, saying it wasn’t just defence or the roster which should come in for scrutiny.

Hooper turned his attention on Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe as one of the main sources of the club’s continual poor performances.

“If you’re going to be fair dinkum it’s bigger than what Madge can say at halftime,” he said.

“The issues at the Tigers are far broader than anything Madge can say. Let’s go back to the old Jack Gibson line that winning starts in the front office.

“Justin Pascoe has been the CEO since 2016. In the last five years, he sacked Robbie Farah the club’s star player at enormous cost.

“He then sacked Jason Taylor the head coach six months later – the coach who got rid of Farah.

“Then he decided to hire Ivan Cleary and we all know how that ended up.

“Under Ivan they sign Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and Ben Matulino and they’re only just coming out of that mess now.

“I blogged on foxsports.com.au today and the overwhelming view from all Tigers fans was that the management had been awful and they’ve cultivated an environment of failure which led to that performance on the Sunshine Coast.”

Latest posts