What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So...What Is Our 'Culture"?

So it seems to be agreed that culture means so many different things to many different people.

Whereas I think it’s supposed to embrace some commonality, some shared beliefs and traditional practices.

I thought the “ oust doust” and “ Fail Mary” signs were a unique and spirited experience although “ bomb the shire” was next level and fun.

Those displays said a lot about the madness of the hard core, uniquely cultural.

Not many fans of other clubs have that rugby league flair and passion. I enjoy seeing it from the other side.

People were outraged when those fail Mary guys got banned with their flags. That stood for everything the fans were against. That was destroying culture.

6449E393-74DE-497D-83BB-4B7642CC98C9.jpeg

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
Im sure many of you may have already watched it but for any old school footy fans who grew up in the 70-80s like me The Final Winter was interesting to watch. Brought back a lot of memories and some interesting cameos. No Oscar nominations and you can see why, but a more enjoyable 90 mins than most of the games Ive watched in the last 2 years

Its free on the net if anyones interested and hasnt seen it

Old School Culture

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...96428294AF1816FDD669964&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
I remember watching this when it came out in 2007 and loved it. I am only in my early forties so i don't know what it was like to watch Rugby League played this way on the field but my Dad and my Uncle were dragons tragic's and they would always tell me about how brutal the game use to be.

I think that players who played during this era would laugh themselves silly when a penalty for a crusher tackle is blown. It's unrealistic to think we could go back to this sought of game but the modern day game probably lacks a lot of the warrior mentality and tribal aspect that league used to have in the past.

Thanks for posting this and reminding me about this film, As soon as i get a spare couple of hours i'll be watching this again..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My wife (supports canberra) walked past TV the other day and was asking who I was watching as they were all in red , she didnt even recognize them
What game were you watching the other day?

We were in the red v...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It was a few weeks back when we were in the full red version
I can’t remember the exact game
We’ve only worn it once in ages, against the cowboys..

Was a seesawing game that we lost in golden point..

The jersey doesn’t influence the performance.

But our alternate this year does look shit.

Coffs dragon

Bench
(Good standards + Strong management) x Success = Culture

Unfortunately, the present JV Dragons lack in all the above...
I get the impression we have turned a corner with our CEO Ryan Webb & hopefully Griffin can repair the team performance damage.

This earlier post...Very inspiring stuff champion... We suck and it’s Illawarra all over

wake up mate.

blaming the Illawarra for the sad state of affairs in childish.

yes, I followed the steelers for their 17 seasons - take it from me, even when we came last those teams played with more passion and pride than the clowns that have been running around for the past 8 years.

possm

Coach
I'd say now that we have rid ourselves of the mediocre Illawarra slugs, a great new culture will emerge under Griffin.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd say now that we have rid ourselves of the mediocre Illawarra slugs, a great new culture will emerge under Griffin.

Whatever you do possum - don’t go eating the the little beggars , as they will give you a stomach-ache like you have never had before !

thebigredv

First Grade
Losing last week an unlosable match was upsetting as it gets but we have seen it too many times before in recent times.

Gaining a hard fought win against a decent bogey team tonight is much sweeter but it gets me thinking about one question.

Why can't we compete all the time?

Not win, compete. Winning is just a by product of attitude.

We all know it means very little but a hollow two points if we return to 'meh' next week.

I see the shedding of underperformers. I see an improvement of coaching. I want to see a return to culture of the pride and gratitude for the big red v and a team spirit of belief in one another.

Look at Tigers, another club whose fans will be posing the same question. They can tear a team like us apart and then go and serve up that. We are no different in reality but we can determine our own destiny and land a spot in the 8 any year if we just raise our standards as players, as a team, as a club.

Losing last week an unlosable match was upsetting as it gets but we have seen it too many times before in recent times.

Gaining a hard fought win against a decent bogey team tonight is much sweeter but it gets me thinking about one question.

We all know it means very little but a hollow two points if we return to 'meh' next week.

I see the shedding of underperformers. I see an improvement of coaching. I want to see a return to culture of the pride and gratitude for the big red v and a team spirit of belief in one another.

Look at Tigers, another club whose fans will be posing the same question. They can tear a team like us apart and then go and serve up that. We are no different in reality but we can determine our own destiny and land a spot in the 8 any year if we just raise our standards as players, as a team, as a club.
Yeah I agree it’s not time for rest.

Having hung around during the tough times, from an outsiders view, the dragons are a much more competent and competitive outfit without a massive injection of marquee and some very interesting signings. There’s a lot of growth.

The ordinary nrl fan would have gagged if you suggested this time last year that you would be well into the top 8 and taking a sly look at the top 4 today. But there is still a bit of “which dragons team will turn up” some lapses.

Where we tigers go one step forward, two steps back.

I think Hook is punching above his weight. Probably I think he’s done enough from the low bar for another 3 years and the accompanying opportunity to plan. Otherwise there’s a risk he will throw everything into the present and immediate future and to hell with the next few years when he’s back on the wireless.

But the sgi book 2021, it’s one of the better stories out there. Its a bit of a wild ride, but the good things, the fundamentals- are creeping back in.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

TBH I can think of only 2 halves this year where we did not look like we were competitive 2nd half against Dogs last week and against the Tigers a few weeks back
Other games we tried but some errors and execution let us down
Why?..
Because players that were hear for the last few years, there confidence was near rick bottom thanks to Big Foots impact
What has to be built to last a full season is confidence, belief and trust in each other on field
It is not there yet and why are you see some erratic parts in our game
work in progress it’s gonna take some time
But I will say what I have seen is more effort and comraderie mostly than what I’ve seen for the past two years
Hunts captaincy is a part of that

getsmarty

Immortal
TBH I can think of only 2 halves this year where we did not look like we were competitive 2nd half against Dogs last week and against the Tigers a few weeks back
Other games we tried but some errors and execution let us down
Why?..
Because players that were hear for the last few years, there confidence was near rick bottom thanks to Big Foots impact
What has to be built to last a full season is confidence, belief and trust in each other on field
It is not there yet and why are you see some erratic parts in our game
work in progress it’s gonna take some time
But I will say what I have seen is more effort and comraderie mostly than what I’ve seen for the past two years
Hunts captaincy is a part of that

Well Said....it will turnaround eventually...plenty of positives with the younger guys now getting a run in the top grade....never happened under you know who...

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeah I agree it’s not time for rest.

Having hung around during the tough times, from an outsiders view, the dragons are a much more competent and competitive outfit without a massive injection of marquee and some very interesting signings. There’s a lot of growth.

The ordinary nrl fan would have gagged if you suggested this time last year that you would be well into the top 8 and taking a sly look at the top 4 today. But there is still a bit of “which dragons team will turn up” some lapses.

Where we tigers go one step forward, two steps back.

I think Hook is punching above his weight. Probably I think he’s done enough from the low bar for another 3 years and the accompanying opportunity to plan. Otherwise there’s a risk he will throw everything into the present and immediate future and to hell with the next few years when he’s back on the wireless.

But the sgi book 2021, it’s one of the better stories out there. Its a bit of a wild ride, but the good things, the fundamentals- are creeping back in.
The rot sort of came in when we lost JDB. There was a lot of positivity in the minds of our players and coaches after the last few games of 2018 and everyone was looking forward to a great 2019 but unfortunately as bad luck would have it, we plodded for 2019 and 2020.

Now that we have JDB back and he is now starting to get back into a good rhythm and getting much needed match fitness and a better feel with the new rules, the team should now get back to some consistency and the coaches can plan better for future games, especially with the returns of Fui and McGuire and then Lomax. Hopefully if we challenge the charge on Rava and is successful, we should end up with a team that can help win us the games that will enable us to end in the top 8 this season.

Latest posts