What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, where are we going to finish in ‘22?

Shredder

Juniors
I think we will be better this year. But I also think some of the top sides will drop off.

Melbourne look a mess, the Roosters need to stay healthy and the Rabbits lost their best player and heart and soul to Brisbane. Parramatta also look a rabble.

I think somewhere between 6th and 10th for us.

Also, I think Barrett will be the first coach punted next year. Massive expectations on him now with a completely new team.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I'm hopefull we'll improve on last year & be more consistent. Honestly though our roster is still pretty shit. If we compete in most games & we're still in the game with 20mins left I'll probably see season 22 as a positive. We'll finish somewhere in the bottom 4, I'm picking Cowboys for the spoon. Then the other 3 in no particular order: Us, Dragons, Newcastle ( I reckon Canberra are a smokey for a complete capitulation)

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Next year is a write off.
I agree that the Knights will probably struggle to finish top 10 but I think we will take two more years before we get to their standard.
Madge was asked on a radio interview what will be considered a pass mark for the Tigers next year. He replied he wasn't going to put that kind of pressure on the boys. My reading of his answer is that he doubts the Tigers will achieve anything that is considered a pass.
I'm tipping bottom 2 with a real chance of the spoon. I would be super excited if we finished 10th.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Next year is a write off.
I agree that the Knights will probably struggle to finish top 10 but I think we will take two more years before we get to their standard.
Madge was asked on a radio interview what will be considered a pass mark for the Tigers next year. He replied he wasn't going to put that kind of pressure on the boys. My reading of his answer is that he doubts the Tigers will achieve anything that is considered a pass.
I'm tipping bottom 2 with a real chance of the spoon. I would be super excited if we finished 10th.
I reckon he should be putting expectations on the squad- maybe minimum of 12th and expect the squad to play as a team and carry out the plans. Just that bit better than 2021 but expect the main improvements to be playing as a team and carry out the plans. Not too much to expect from a professional football team playing in the NRL with wages to match. If the current lot cant do that minimal request / expectation what possible recruitment 'we want you to build on' story can we give any more potential recruits for 2023?

If the poor darlings are that mentally fragile sack half the squad now.

BrotherJim05

Bench
There is absolutely no way we will make top 8 this year. We basically have the same squad minus Doeuihi for half the year, Laurie coming off a major injury and the only inclusions are a really good Utility and two unproven players from Super League. Then throw in Luciano who doesn't want to be there and whatever else dramas the Media will cook up.

2023 is a different story. COE will be complete in time for full pre season. New recruits will be on board and the very last of dead weight will be gone. Our halves should well and truly be settled then and our Youngsters like Laurie and Stefano will be getting close to 50 NRL games.

2022 is the final test of who from our current NRL squad can handle NRL

Vic Mackey

Referee
12th-14th

If Doueihi was fit I’d give us an outside chance of sneaking into the 8 with a lot of luck and other sides falling apart around us.

The only thing giving me some hope is that I think there’s about 10 very ordinary teams in the comp

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I reckon he should be putting expectations on the squad- maybe minimum of 12th and expect the squad to play as a team and carry out the plans. Just that bit better than 2021 but expect the main improvements to be playing as a team and carry out the plans. Not too much to expect from a professional football team playing in the NRL with wages to match. If the current lot cant do that minimal request / expectation what possible recruitment 'we want you to build on' story can we give any more potential recruits for 2023?

If the poor darlings are that mentally fragile sack half the squad now.
The same can be said for Madge. A simple request Madge, one spot on the ladder better than the year before. with players at least as good, likely better, and the opposition sending out more and more invitations each successive year…one spot better. That’s all Please..not 2,3 and 4 worse as has been the case

I think a fair few have forgotten the level of contribution a coach has to a winning or losing team. It doesn’t take much for a coach’s negative influence to spread like wildfire and snowball if unchecked and unfiltered. … That won’t be the case this year..

Whoever thinks that just by coincidence, the majority of the players that ended up at WT don’t care about winning or losing when playing Rugby League is dreaming.

My guess is Madge or anyone who has the results Madge has had for the last 3 years, couldn’t help but have given up, but is paid enough to know the importance of looking like he hasn’t…

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
Not quite on topic, but . . . .
I was looking on nrl.com's "1-100. Numbers that matter"
There is nothing negative about our club. In fact, the only real mention of WT is for the most supporting runs.
So that is a league journo has 100 opportunities to put the boot into WT, yet doesn't.
Parra, on the other hand, takes out the famed #35 spot.
Let's not upset our little mate rhyno by going into too much detail about what 35 represents.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The same can be said for Madge. A simple request Madge, one spot on the ladder better than the year before. with players at least as good, likely better, and the opposition sending out more and more invitations each successive year…one spot better. That’s all Please..not 2,3 and 4 worse as has been the case

I think a fair few have forgotten the level of contribution a coach has to a winning or losing team. It doesn’t take much for a coach’s negative influence to spread like wildfire and snowball if unchecked and unfiltered. … That won’t be the case this year..

Whoever thinks that just by coincidence, the majority of the players that ended up at WT don’t care about winning or losing when playing Rugby League is dreaming.

My guess is Madge or anyone who has the results Madge has had for the last 3 years, couldn’t help but have given up, but is paid enough to know the importance of looking like he hasn’t…
Most certainly the pressure will be on Maguire as well as the players. Dishing up last years poor results will be the death of him as a coach- he has to get a better result. as I said even 1 position better than last year, less blow outs, the team performing as a unit and some better performances from the youth brigade will be a good, positive improvement that he could take credit for (yes, with new assistants and Sheens watching from above- changes forced by the club- not Maguire). So, if those expectations are on him, he has to also make those expectations clear to the squad too.

gordsy

Juniors
I think we will do well, not so much in terms of where we finish but with seeing consistency and improoved efforts from our young guys. . I think we will have some issues for the first say 10 - 12 rounds but finish the season strongly. All i hope is we either back Madge or sign someone good. The issue is who is better than Madge that's available.

You don't want to go back to Sheens and not alot of good coaches on the market. People say Flanno but that is a mistake imo. If we had to hire someone I'd like to sign Brennan as he's done well with a crap roster. Anyway I have learnt to expect to finish 11 - 14 as anything else ends up with a 30 - 10 season ending losses against three teams who have 15 players on the field or some other stupid way to lose that makes you want to cry...

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
The pack is still on training wheels. The backs are an unproven commodity. Injuries to keep positions…
I think we‘ll start and slow and build momentum as the year progresses.
Probably fall just short

Tiger05

First Grade
The pack is still on training wheels. The backs are an unproven commodity. Injuries to keep positions…
I think we‘ll start and slow and build momentum as the year progresses.
Probably fall just short

That sounds pretty positive to me. I think we have another dud year but maybe some players or the team outperforms and we have a good year. I think the odds are against us though.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I feel like we will improve very slightly but it will be another year of missing finals. Maybe moving up to 9/10th but unlikely.

2023 I expect to see much better results. We have to simply play the waiting game

Perth Tiger

Bench
I think the reality is there is about 8-9 teams of roughly the same standard that either need 1 or 2 break out players and a good inquiry run to be competing for spots 7 and 8, or one or two key injuries or off field dramas away from competing for the spoon. We are probably around the middle of that group.

Hoping for a couple of break outs but expecting off field dramas like constant speculation on the coach

Tiger Ted

Bench
We won’t go close to making the 8.Should finish 13-16.Glaringly 1 of the weakest squads in the comp & one that’s awash with park footballers.The weight of the world is on Hastings’s shoulders.This is not the touch footy of super league that he has been accustomed to over the last few yrs & he won’t get any assistance from his halves partner the dumbest no. 7 in the NRL.

We still lack speed in the backs & our forwards lack the attention span & grit required to compete for 80mins In the physically demanding NRL.Additionally there is undoubtedly a rift between players & the insane coach as was demonstrated in the deplorable effort in rd 25 against the wooden spooners.Before long Sheens will be wishing he were still in the nth of England.