What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Who do we really Need?

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Merry New year Hap hap Happy Xmas to you all...Yes even the constant whiners:)
So 29 places filled and 1 left.
What is the teams priority to fill this last position?

BLM01

First Grade
I think we need a back up half better than Nicholls who is a plodder. If Field is there man well OK but I am not so sure. If Widdop goes in 2020 we are back to 2 decent halves only. 1 injury and we are pooped again! I am OK with the forwards and will revisit that later next year but for me ATM if Field is our back up half man then we need another good back for positions 2-5. Probably more than likely a winger.

Well the Dragons Director of some Pathway..I forget the rest..thinks our coaching is better than I thought as anyone that comes to our club is a stepping stone in becoming a SOO player..LOL
What is funny how he spruiked how they look well into Corry's (well that is how he pronounced his name) background as a person and were happy with only SOME of his values. They probably stopped reading at Page 1. Next page may tell a different story.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Hmm, quite impressed with Millwards genuine excitement at getting Norman and seems real keen on Dufty and Hunt working with Norman.
This could be a very good year....waket wakey Mary.

st.phil

Bench
I think we need a back up half better than Nicholls who is a plodder. If Field is there man well OK but I am not so sure. If Widdop goes in 2020 we are back to 2 decent halves only. 1 injury and we are pooped again! I am OK with the forwards and will revisit that later next year but for me ATM if Field is our back up half man then we need another good back for positions 2-5. Probably more than likely a winger.

Well the Dragons Director of some Pathway..I forget the rest..thinks our coaching is better than I thought as anyone that comes to our club is a stepping stone in becoming a SOO player..LOL
What is funny how he spruiked how they look well into Corry's (well that is how he pronounced his name) background as a person and were happy with only SOME of his values. They probably stopped reading at Page 1. Next page may tell a different story.

More halves? Third of the squad at present ..

BLM01

First Grade
More halves? Third of the squad at present ..
Dr Phil..planning for post Widdop in 2020. That means according to you we have 10 halves ATM being a 1/3 of our Top 30.
Outside Norman & Hunt who else can step up to 1st grade half position due to an injury. Not sure Field but if so OK forget another half....but Nicholls I think is too slow and not 1st grade material. Have i missed another ready made back up?

BLM01

First Grade
Few teams have them and as soon as they do, they move on.
True Aquiin...the stocks are thinning at an alarming rate.
But I look at teams like Sharks, Nth Qld, Melb, Souths, Newcastle, Penrith, Dogs, Tigers and even Titans who signed that Melb half from early last year. They have 3 guys that can play 1st grade in the halves. Roosters & Broncs have depth always. Field is not up to it defensively. For me 5 teams stand out deficient in this area. Us Manly, Parra, Canberra and now Warriors

TomRedVRiver

Bench

We have plenty of rotation depth for the halves. If we run with
1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
Then we don't lose much if an injury strikes. For example if we lose Widdop:

1. Dufty
6. Norman
7. Hunt

Or if we lose Hunt:

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Norman

Etc etc.
Field is still there too. There's no reason Nicholls should see any first grade. I wouldn't worry about 2020 yet. I dare say by that time we'll be letting Nicholls go and looking to promote Field to first change in the halves, or buying a new back-up.

BLM01

First Grade
We have plenty of rotation depth for the halves. If we run with
1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
Then we don't lose much if an injury strikes. For example if we lose Widdop:

1. Dufty
6. Norman
7. Hunt

Or if we lose Hunt:

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Norman

Etc etc.
Field is still there too. There's no reason Nicholls should see any first grade. I wouldn't worry about 2020 yet. I dare say by that time we'll be letting Nicholls go and looking to promote Field to first change in the halves, or buying a new back-up.
Missing the point of my whole argument. Back to my original point.."Post Widdop only". If Field is not up to it which i dont think he is defensively we are 1 short. Dufty cant do it and as you said Nicholls no. So I am preparing in my mind this year for 2020 if we buy a back up half. Then also dont re-sign Field.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hypothetical question:

Widdop at fullback round 1, dives to make a tackle in the 1st minute and redislocates his shoulder.

Who plays where for the remainder of the game?

BLM01

First Grade
Hypothetical question:

Widdop at fullback round 1, dives to make a tackle in the 1st minute and redislocates his shoulder.

Who plays where for the remainder of the game?
Exactly JDB to slot in to half. Norman to f/back...hang on JDB might not be there either. Yes we have a dilemma booting Dufty out of the side. But i have been knocked down on these forums because I said we need someone on the bench that can cover a back position as none of our current forwards can adequately because people think 4 forward bench is the way to go. That is their opinion and I disagree unless we had a forward who can drop back to centre and so on and so on..but we dont. We dont even have a centre or winger who can play fullback.
This may be wrong or strange but why cant Norman be our 14 for 2019.