What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Who do we really Need?

Como Connection

First Grade
Exactly JDB to slot in to half. Norman to f/back...hang on JDB might not be there either. Yes we have a dilemma booting Dufty out of the side. But i have been knocked down on these forums because I said we need someone on the bench that can cover a back position as none of our current forwards can adequately because people think 4 forward bench is the way to go. That is their opinion and I disagree unless we had a forward who can drop back to centre and so on and so on..but we dont. We dont even have a centre or winger who can play fullback.
This may be wrong or strange but why cant Norman be our 14 for 2019.
Because he's too good and must start.
CC

mickeylane

Bench
Hypothetical question:

Widdop at fullback round 1, dives to make a tackle in the 1st minute and redislocates his shoulder.

Who plays where for the remainder of the game?
Dufty will be 14 if Widdop start at FB.
When Dufty comes on the variations available are multiple as Norman, Widdop, Lomax can cover all backline positions if needed . Remember the 14. Ostensibly is there to cover backline Injury but my hunch is that Mary will use Dufty as a shock weapon on tiring defences.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Exactly JDB to slot in to half. Norman to f/back...hang on JDB might not be there either. Yes we have a dilemma booting Dufty out of the side. But i have been knocked down on these forums because I said we need someone on the bench that can cover a back position as none of our current forwards can adequately because people think 4 forward bench is the way to go. That is their opinion and I disagree unless we had a forward who can drop back to centre and so on and so on..but we dont. We dont even have a centre or winger who can play fullback.
This may be wrong or strange but why cant Norman be our 14 for 2019.

Agree its a preferable option imo

possm

Coach
Dufty will be 14 if Widdop start at FB.
When Dufty comes on the variations available are multiple as Norman, Widdop, Lomax can cover all backline positions if needed . Remember the 14. Ostensibly is there to cover backline Injury but my hunch is that Mary will use Dufty as a shock weapon on tiring defences.

I'd say Robson will be 14 no matter who is fullback. Robson will be in the hooker rotation this year and we will see a big difference in McInnes's performance. Robson will bring the team variety and speed at dummy half; something we have been lacking lately.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'd say Robson will be 14 no matter who is fullback. Robson will be in the hooker rotation this year and we will see a big difference in McInnes's performance. Robson will bring the team variety and speed at dummy half; something we have been lacking lately.

This will become the dilemma, trying to fit 3 people into 1 spot.
Norman, Dufty or Robson. Thats the #14 choice. Each one have merits to be there in the 17.
There are a myriad of possibilities, but at least there seems to be competition for places.
Unfortunately the biggest factor is our coach, and wether he sticks with old guard or has he learnt from the past.

Gareth67

First Grade
If I had the Widdop contract money available for season 2020 ( that is should he decide to return home ) then I would be using it to make a play for the Broncos Tevita Pangai Jr. to sign him on a 3 or 4 year term and by so doing beat the other clubs to the punch .

Bearing in mind that there may very well also be other money available ( should the contract of a current player be terminated , hopefully that will not be the case , but . . . ) to purchase another 1st class center/winger if needed .

aquiin

Juniors
We might be deficient in 2020 but we are more than fine with Norman coming aboard this year. Halves need to improve their tactical kicking and general decision making based on 2018.

Developing young halves has not been our strength. Even when we’ve had some potential in the lower grades it hasn’t worked out. We rely on imports.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Regarding Nichols, who are we possibly going to get to come here as a back up half that's better than him? He is just about as good as you can be as an ISP player, just not quite NRL quality. And you aren't going to get an NRL quality player to come as a backup half.

He has won 2 isp competitions and did a good job last year.
No one going to come with widdop, hunt and now norman all ahead .

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I had the Widdop contract money available for season 2020 ( that is should he decide to return home ) then I would be using it to make a play for the Broncos Tevita Pangai Jr. to sign him on a 3 or 4 year term and by so doing beat the other clubs to the punch .

Bearing in mind that there may very well also be other money available ( should the contract of a current player be terminated , hopefully that will not be the case , but . . . ) to purchase another 1st class center/winger if needed .
I obviously want us to sign Pangai Jr, but there is going to be a lot of competition for his signature. Brisbane and Souths have the front running and Easts were apparently after his signature this year, so they will be in the running for his signature and Politis has too good a record for getting his man. I expect to see Pangai at one of the 3 mentioned clubs in 2020. In saying that I agree that we should be doing everything in our power to sign Pangai. I think he will be challenging Taumalolo as the best lock in the game, if he plays lock. I think he will be the best second rower in the game if he plays there and I think he will be one of the best props in the game if they play him prop, he is that good and improving. If Debelin isn't at our club next year, then we should be making an even bigger effort to sign Pangai.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I would like to see Widdop's money reserved for the fullback position, whether it be Dufty or we would be cashed up to make a play for Tom Turbo, but again, it will be difficult to get him to move from Manly and his family and friends on the Northern Beaches. It is another example of why we should be located at Kogarah. We could also be a position to offer Holmes big money after he comes back from his Gridiron escapade. I do not expect Holmes to make it in NFL. I didn't expect Hayne to either.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Semi Radradra :pray:
Now Semi would be unbelievable. I rate Semi and Eric Grothe as the 2 best wingers I have seen. Brett Morris and young Lote Tuqiri are my other best 2. I doubt that we could manage to sign Semi, but we should be in the market for him, if he becomes available.

There was talk of Koroibete last year. He would be good too.

possm

Coach
We might be deficient in 2020 but we are more than fine with Norman coming aboard this year. Halves need to improve their tactical kicking and general decision making based on 2018.

Developing young halves has not been our strength. Even when we’ve had some potential in the lower grades it hasn’t worked out. We rely on imports.

I feel sure that Norman will run the team this year with the number 6 on his jumper. Hunt will be at 7 and possibly Widdop at fullback. I doubt very much that Norman will be on the bench. Talk of Dufty or Field on the bench is also unlikely because we really need a hooker rotation to liven up our attack and freshen up our defence around the middle so I see Robson at 14 off the bench.

Crush

Coach
I feel sure that Norman will run the team this year with the number 6 on his jumper. Hunt will be at 7 and possibly Widdop at fullback. I doubt very much that Norman will be on the bench. Talk of Dufty or Field on the bench is also unlikely because we really need a hooker rotation to liven up our attack and freshen up our defence around the middle so I see Robson at 14 off the bench.
Norman to fullback, that's my prediction based on nothing much. Other than Mary being a stubborn prick that wont like the fact that Bennett has already done it (moved widdop to 1) so he won't get credit.
Mary will play Norman at fullback.

BLM01

First Grade
Why cant Hunt relieve McInnes. Norman on for Hunt, when mcInnes returns Hunt gets a rest..that way Widdop 6, Dufty 1, Norman 14. Robson to vy his time but will get plenty of opportunity with injuries and SOO time to be No. 14 for sure as Mary looks to rotate / rest a bit more our better players....maybe.
That is what I would do as the Dragons lounge chair coach anyway