What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solomon Islands

nadera78

Juniors
Reports in the Solomons suggest people there are trying to get tgg up and running, which is obviously good news.

http://solomonstarnews.com/index.ph...ew&id=4351&change=100&changeown=102&Itemid=42
RUGBY players in the Solomon Islands will soon be introduced to a new code in the country after discussions yesterday to introduce it.

Currently, Rugby Union is the only code which has a league in the country, and the responsible federations are working on establishing the League.

Executives of the Solomon Islands Rugby League Federation (SIRLF) met yesterday to discuss ways doing this.

Chairman of the SIRLF, William Tuhaika, revealed to Star Sports the main purpose of the meeting was to find ways introducing the new code.

Rugby League was officially launched in the country back in 1999 but the league failed to kick start because of the ethic tension.

Tuhaika said after the lunching in 1999 they have seen a lot of interest from young people and that’s the reason his federation is committed reestablishing the league.

Tuhaika revealed they are looking to kick start the League in June to July next year when the Rugby Union league ends.

“We want to provide the opportunity for young people to enjoy the new code and see this as a chance for them to play overseas,” he said.

Tuhaika said Honiara Rugby League Association (HRLA) have agreed for a joint meeting with the SIRLF to plan ways to kick start the League.

The meeting is scheduled for the 10th November 2008 at the Environmental Health Conference room at 12pm.

Tuhaika extended invitation to volunteers interested, individuals and people who wish to join the League.

He said he is looking to working closely with the PNG Rugby Football League as a promoter in PNG, which will have links with SIRLF.

“PNG had agreed during the launching in 1999 they will provide assistance to the League once launched but the link was affected by the ethnic tension.

“I’m already following up on this and waiting for a response from them,” he said.

They have planned to organise an expedition match sometimes next year.

BY PHILIP LILOMO

nadera78

Juniors
A quick google search comes up with Jardine Bobongie (St George-Illawarra Loose Forward ) and Luke Fatnowna (Central Comets Prop) as being eligible for the Solomon Islands. Probably one or two others floating around too, which would give them a bit of a jump start.

roopy

Referee
Is there still an australian peace keeping force in the solomons, or am i talking ancient history?
I remember lots of stories when they went in, but nothing for years.

yakstorm

First Grade
They mention the 'Honiara Rugby League Association' in that article. I wonder what that is all about, does it mean there is already a League association in the capital city? Or is it two separate organisations trying to kick start league at the same time?

Or could it just be a typo and it's meant to be the Rugby Union Association...

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Well that might make League easier to introduce - hard to say what sort of relationship they have with the locals.

Kiwis have an ok realtionship with the locals, though i think the aussies have pissed a few locals off...

XIII

Juniors
my bro was up there for about a year. soccer is king. only place in the pacific like that i think.

BatiFan

Juniors
There was a young guy from Canberra a few years ago named Jack Asyemba (sp?) who was playing in their SG Ball side who was born in the Solomons also. He was a winger. Wonder if he is still playing?

Copa

Bench
someone has been in touch..

http://solomonstarnews.com/index.ph...iew&id=4470&change=103&changeown=88&Itemid=45

Offer for rugby league Monday, 03 November 2008
DEAR EDITOR - My name is Dane Campbell and I am the Managing Director of Global League Management, an Australian based sports marketing company that deals with commercial matters on behalf of developing rugby league nations.

I am writing to you in regards to a sports article written on the 29/10/08 titled “Rugby League to a new start”.

I was hopeful that I may be able to be put in contact with the newly formed Solomon Islands Rugby League as to offer our assistance to them in their development process.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dane Campbell
Global League Management
globalleaguemanagement@gmail.com This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Phone/Fax:
Mobile:

roopy

Referee
I'm not sure Dane meant that as a 'letter to the editor'.

Good to see he is still working hard for the game - (and a bit funny to see a post about him in this thread - for reasons i won't go into). I thought being a captain/coach would be keeping him too busy.

It's a pity that a guy with his interest in the international game only played a few games of firstgrade.

deluded pom?

Coach

Good to see he is still working hard for the game - (and a bit funny to see a post about him in this thread - for reasons i won't go into). I thought being a captain/coach would be keeping him too busy.

It's a pity that a guy with his interest in the international game only played a few games of firstgrade.

What's his background roopy?

roopy

Referee
What's his background roopy?
A very good Qld cup halfback who might have done a lot better at the Knights under a different coach.
The guy who was coach at the Knights when Dane was understudy to AJ never really developed anyone well IMO.

yakstorm

First Grade
Dane never played too bad for the Knights, unfortunately he was involved in a team that at the time just couldn't remember how to win games.

Anyway our good friend Mr Campbell was one of the main instigators of the game in Jamaica, among other international projects.

Titanic

First Grade

Don't know what "background" you're referring to but since when is being an A Grader a prerequisite for developing Rugby League in the world's outposts? We'll never get anywhere if that's the case. The sport is based on volunteers.

The Colonel

Immortal
Australian company helps Rugby League Wednesday, 05 November 2008
AN Australian based sports marketing company has offered to provide assistance to the newly formed Solomon Islands Rugby League in its development process.

Dane Campbell, Managing Director of Global League Management that deals with commercial matters on developing rugby league nations revealed this.

“I’m hopeful to be able to put into contact with the Solomon Islands rugby league to offer our assistance to them in their development process,” he said.

Chairman of the Solomon Islands Rugby League Federation (SIRLF), William Tuhaika, revealed to star sports yesterday they are happy this organisation offered assistance.

“Technical assistance like referees and coaching of coaches are some of the areas which need to be improved,” he said.

“Australia is the founder of Rugby League and to have them assist in our development process will certainly boost the moral of players in the country.

“Our aim now is to have direct link with the Global League management to give us support and advice to kick start rugby league here,” he said.

Tuhaika added the SIRLF intends to register with the Rugby League International Board (RLIB) and see this assistance an opportunity to push forward in achieving their goals.

PNG Rugby League has approved to pass the registration of the 1999 launching but was disrupted by the ethnic tension.

The SIRLF are now looking to reestablishing the league.

Republic of China (ROC), Kossol car rental and BP Investments were major sponsors of the past league and they are still open to SIRF for sponsors when the new league starts.

A joint meeting between the Honiara Rugby League Association (HRLA) and SIRLF is set for Monday 10th November at 12pm at the Environmental Conference room.

Tuhaika said interested individuals are encouraged to attend to support the revival of rugby league in the country.

“The agenda of the meeting is to discuss the development of the rugby league and individuals who need further inquires can contact me on 75787,” he said.

Tuhaika is inviting members of the Honiara Rugby League namely Golden Kiloko, Joseph Nelson, Derick Kama, Martin (PNG), Sika (Tonga) and Ronanzki (Australia) to attend.

BY PHILIP LILOMO

http://solomonstarnews.com/index.ph...ew&id=4522&change=100&changeown=102&Itemid=42

roopy

Referee
Don't know what "background" you're referring to but since when is being an A Grader a prerequisite for developing Rugby League in the world's outposts? We'll never get anywhere if that's the case. The sport is based on volunteers.
If he had gone on to replace AJ at the Knights on a permanent basis rather than just for a few games a lot of doors would have opened a lot easier for him.
He is doing a brilliant job, but it could have been easier for him if Hagan had been able to develop his obvious talent.

Latest posts