What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Interesting Titbit New On The Eels & Souths

TheRam

Coach
HE'S long gone as Parramatta chief executive but Denis Fitzgerald refuses to let old wounds heal.The former Eels supremo turned up for the club's annual general meeting last weekend, bounced up on to the stage and took the microphone to launch a scathing attack on the football club board. Fitzgerald was upset over the board's decision not to accept a life membership nomination for his mate and former employee Andrew Hill. He also attacked chief executive Paul Osborne for not attending a recent NSWRL meeting as one of the Eels' delegates. The shot at Osborne was in particularly poor taste as his mother is suffering from cancer and is gravely ill. He was visiting her in hospital on the night of the NSWRL meeting. Board member and old Fitzgerald enemy Ray Price was furious over the attack on the directors. "What the hell has Andrew Hill done to deserve life membership anyway - he only played in juniors?" Price said. "Apart from that he was just an employee. You don't hand them out to everyone. If Denis doesn't want to help the club, he should stay away. One day he's going to have to move on."

THE NRL wouldn't allow Parramatta Eels cult hero Fuifui Moimoi to fly his son to Sydney to watch him play football unless it was included in the Eels' salary cap.But they will allow South Sydney's blockbusting new forward Sam Burgess to stay rent-free in Russell Crowe's Potts Point apartment until he finds his own pad. NRL chief David Gallop denies it's a case of double standards with the Great Britain Test forward. "It all comes under relocation costs - I wouldn't think it was unreasonable for a club to provide accommodation for a player who has come all the way from England until he finds his own home," Gallop said. "I don't think it is a salary cap issue."

WE continue to hear rumblings from Parramatta about the future of Kiwi forward and club stalwart Nathan Cayless as Eels captain. Cayless can no longer be guaranteed a starting spot, with Fuifui Moimoi and Justin Poore the logical favourites to wear the front-row jerseys. Under normal circumstances, coach Daniel Anderson would hand the captaincy to Nathan Hindmarsh, but he is Cayless's best mate and would never take the job under these circumstances. Whatever happens, it shapes up as a real test of the coach's ability to make sometimes unpopular and tough decisions.

WHO said rugby league clubs need poker machines to make a profit? We're told the South Sydney Rabbitohs are about to announce a small operating profit for last season on the back of a hugely successful membership campaign. This is a big performance considering they failed to make the finals.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...independence-bid/story-e6freye0-1225812034497

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
On the Souths profit article, I have always said that clubs number one focus should always be to increase its members and get them to an average of 25-30000. The rest will work its self out from there. That is the true goldmine for any club to pursue.

yy_cheng

Coach
Caylo in the 2nd row. I know he has been try there and failed. That's only because we didn't have any props then. Now we do, I can't see why he can't play the same role as he does at prop and Poore plays quite alot of minutes

13. Mateo
12. Caylo
11. Hindy
10. Fui
9. MK
8. Poore

14. KK
15. Smith
16. Mannah
17. Shackleton

Hellsy

Immortal
And also in the paper was a mention of Hindy finally marrying Bonnie yesterday under a tree at Robertson showgrounds.
Hope everything went really well for them!

Hellsy

Immortal
Beacuse as the article says he may not be assured of a starting position with Fui and Poore etc.
Its just all media babble really, I'm sure the coach and players laugh at sh*t like this, but that is the crux of the tidbit in the paper

Stagger eel

Staff member
just on the Fitzy thing..

the guy had a massive rant and did shout at the mic and it was rather annoying to hear it but as a member (life member also) he had every right to express an opinion and shouldn't be publicaly ridiculed in a gossip column because of it, Also I disagree with Pricey's opinion on the reason why Hilly didn't deserve life membership, he should realise that there were many non players who deserved their life membership over the last 40 to 50 years for their contribution to the club, people like Norm Syvia, Jack Argent, Spencer O'Neill, Tony Zappia, Joe Grima and Craig Catterick all deserved it.

Hilly's no different, whether you agree or not he still gave this club great service as an administrator and was thrusted into roles he should never of been, but I guess that's beside the point..he should of got it and I thought on this occasion the board handled it badly.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
why would caylo lose the captaincy while still here? Are there any names thrown around apart form hindy who would take it on?

As mentioned in other strings and all the reasons why...... I am all for Robson becoming captain and general of the Eels top 25 NRL squad. Lets see if DA, PO & others think and feel the same way as Casper.

strider

Post Whore
tbh I don't see why Caylo can't be captain but come off the bench .... he already spends much of the match on the bench anyway and Hindy takes over as onfield captain - doesn't need to change just cos caylo might not start games

i don't think we have anyone other than hindy who could realistically be captain at this stage .... and hindy has never really wanted it to be his .... just leave it with caylo for this, likely, his last year - play him from whatever position is appropriate (starter or from the bench) - I can't see its gonna change things

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Cayless will be the starting captain come next year, his on the verge of being the most capt player in the NRL. I cannot see Ando taking that honour away from him especially on what's looking to be his final year at the eels

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Cayless will be the starting captain come next year, his on the verge of being the most capt player in the NRL. I cannot see Ando taking that honour away from him especially on what's looking to be his final year at the eels

I have no issues with Cayless staying as captain. It's more from the organisation and foundation of a happy, settled motivated and focused team that wins the 2010 GF that I am looking at. A winning formula brought out of what players we have to get us there. Robson offers much inspiration, balance and harmony and team mates respect him and listen to him. It's all to do with his makeup. Given the responsibilities of captaincy I feel that Robson will improve in great leaps and bounds as well. The psychology of the team make up is very important and Robson offers a lot to the team dynamics.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
I have no issues with Cayless staying as captain. It's more from the organisation and foundation of a happy, settled motivated and focused team that wins the 2010 GF that I am looking at. A winning formula brought out of what players we have to get us there. Robson offers much inspiration, balance and harmony and team mates respect him and listen to him. It's all to do with his makeup. Given the responsibilities of captaincy I feel that Robson will improve in great leaps and bounds as well. The psychology of the team make up is very important and Robson offers a lot to the team dynamics.

Do you honestly believe the sh*t the comes out of your mouth

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Do you honestly believe the sh*t the comes out of your mouth

Can you please show me the substance that is this sh*t. I have shared what I feel, what I perceive. It's just an opinion, a point of view. I am not the coach, DA is, so I support whatever DA decides including whatever outcomes are derived from discussions with the players.

jk13

First Grade
it would be a big call for the coach to hand the reigns to a halfback who has played 10 odd games in fg, compared to a 10 odd year veteran. my opinion is that you're either taking the p1ss or kidding yourself. surely you'd want stability to continue, after we've been thru so much crap in the last few years and now hav a team that has amazing potential. we've constantly heard how most players look up to cayless, swapping captains now could produce a self destructive environment. personally i believe fui and cayless r better than poore at this point in time. but the only simple answer to me is to bring the tongan madman off the bench, with no team being able to meet this explosive power

bartman

Immortal
tbh I don't see why Caylo can't be captain but come off the bench .... he already spends much of the match on the bench anyway and Hindy takes over as onfield captain - doesn't need to change just cos caylo might not start games
^^^^ Agree with what Strides said.

I think the focus on "the captain" as if it is one person is a media myth (that some fans fall for as well). The reality is that Cayless doesn't play the whole game as it is, and Hindy takes the role when needed. If Cayless starts from the bench at times this year, nothing need change.

I also wouldn't mind seeing how Cayless went in the second row as YY says, I don't think he failed there before? Just got turned into more of a prop because we needed them at the time.

lucablight

First Grade
I would like to see Fui come off the bench. With his improved fitness a fresh Fui would rip defenses to shreds.