What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some positives out of tonight's game

Minh

First Grade
First of all we were robbed by the ref's in the first half some shocking calls one after the other. I knew it from when they didnt call the Josh Morris knock on then penalised us for good defense the next play that they were out to get us and they blew about 4 dubious penalties against us and suddenly we were down 18 nil.

When the game was done and dusted we did get a few penalties come back our way it's a pretty obvious pattern I often see. Anyway to the game, it was a good courageous comeback and if Ben Creagh had a little better ball handling it could have made it interesting he just needed a good pass to Cooper and we were in with seven to go.

Soward had a blinder, Nathan Fien, Merrin and young Marketo was very good along with Brett Morris, Vidot had an excellent game and Ben Hornby was always probing. I reckon we should try to make it a priority to retain Marketo, he showed good footwork and awareness to create the overlap for our first try.

Overall if we play like the way we did in the second half, I'm sure we can put a few wins together, I think we just need to beef up our forwards a little and we'll be right.

Well said! Stick it to same team next week. And let the on field coaching happening, without Price being present. I think the players are doing it better without Price? This is what has been doing in times since playing the Roosters with that awesome victory.

DragonBuck

Juniors
Overall if we play like the way we did in the second half,

we'll get hammered nearly every week. Nearly everything stuck in that second half and that's how we were able to threaten when really we had no right to be within 20 points. You can't go into a game each week hoping that everything will stick again and you can replicate that second half because it won't and therefore you can't.
Don't get me wrong, it was great to watch and a nice reminder of what the team is actually capable of but you just can't go into an NRL game with that sort of mentality because it simply won't work.

Minh

First Grade
we'll get hammered nearly every week. Nearly everything stuck in that second half and that's how we were able to threaten when really we had no right to be within 20 points. You can't go into a game each week hoping that everything will stick again and you can replicate that second half because it won't and therefore you can't.
Don't get me wrong, it was great to watch and a nice reminder of what the team is actually capable of but you just can't go into an NRL game with that sort of mentality because it simply won't work.

True, very true it's just the way the boys played with more belief and were full running and energy more so than the actual ad lib footy that I was talking about, but if you have a team on the back foot like we had the dogs we should play more like this it all depends on the situationI guess.

Bring back choc

Juniors
We have lost any mental toughness. We have forgotten what works.
Soward was excellent in second half. But all too late. I'm afraid our season is gone and I certainly hope changes are made for next year.

Vidot was very good. I have stuck by him because he's got attributes we need.

Anyway, can't wait for prices press conference

blacklock

Juniors
a positive was sowards in game kicking. that kick to vidot was something special. i love that ever 12 behind he is still busting his hump trying... i like the hunger and that is what will pull us back to form eventually.

id take any positives with a grain of salt as the bulldogs pretty much switched off and we had nothing to lose...which allowed us to explore those second phase plays.

I guess thats the silver lining...we're able to cause alot of trouble with second phase plays and maybe thats the way we should go early on.

morris was running hard and given his speed, we need more of that. whenever he charges at the line that way, hes always going to make a dent.

blacksafake

First Grade
They scored some vey soft tries,& i'm sure that barba was in front of the kicker for inu's try.I have been singing marketo's praises for 12 months so i also hope we keep him.Vidot was good & did anyone see his speed when he chased barba down after giving him 20 metres.

Minh

First Grade
Yeh I was thinking the same in regards to Vidot's speed he seemed to hit turbo, love to see him in the clear.

rasaint

Juniors
I hate to pour cold water on the positive elements of the post but the shift to us only came when Kasiano and Pritchard were gone. Otherwise we were being outmuscled.
However, our 2nd half reminded me of Parramatta 2009. They made their run when they started that 'harlem globetrotter' style that Anderson introduced 2nd half of their season. They kept rolling the ball back, flopping it back, sneaking it out and it started to break the hearts of the oppostion. The same thing for us tonite. Hope we keep doing it from now. Lastly the game and calls ran against us but hey top sides manage it and still win..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We have lost any mental toughness. We have forgotten what works.
Soward was excellent in second half. But all too late. I'm afraid our season is gone and I certainly hope changes are made for next year.

Vidot was very good. I have stuck by him because he's got attributes we need.

Anyway, can't wait for prices press conference

Agree with you BBC re our mental toughness....its seems to be there in patches but not for the full 80mins which is a must in this comp nowdays....also like you I have stuck with Vidot since he joined us and I agree he seems to have something in him that we need from other players in our team.....as far as our season being gone deep down I wasnt realy expecting to much this year (not that I wanted to) ...and as for next year what worries me is we havnt re stocked with anyone of note so it remains to be seen what 2013 will bring

Creaghzy dragon

Juniors
Another positive is we only lost by 8, at the looked like we were gonna loose by 30. Honestly how to attract marquee players when there playing like this

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Another positive is we only lost by 8, at the looked like we were gonna loose by 30. Honestly how to attract marquee players when there playing like this

I know its Prices first year as coach but to be honest I just cant see marquee players lining up to be coached by him unfortunately

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There were plenty of positives to take out of the match. Players stepped up across the park in the second half.

Tries to canterbury just before and after half time were the killers. But we had a bigger issue with getting out of the change rooms after kick off. Too big a lead to chase down - we lost the match there.

Nothing to do with the reffing. This was a classic case of a good team needing to step up to overcome any of that.

Hunt, Merrin and Creagh hit the line hard in the second half. Latimore had his moments as did Marketo.

Soward did a month's worth of grubbers - more than I seen from him a long time and we got the repeat sets to show that it works.

IMO, we scored the best try of the match following the cross-field from Soward to Vidot.

And Vidot, he had a very soild game.

Very worried that we were going to be on the receiving end of a cricket score. A little bit of Bulldogs backing off but there was some real self-belief out there from our boys, and they played for each other - something we haven't enough of in recent weeks.

gypsy

Bench
We just lack decent structures. We looked best when it was just off the cuff in the last 30. Doesn't say a great deal. We are really missing Gaz more than anyone IMO, that strike right centre is so valuable.
Kyle, while solid, doesn't seem to have any pace at all.

Any idea how bad his injury is?

gypsy

Bench
On another note, what's the story with Fien? He looks fat, and his lack of mobility was exposed on more than one occasion tonight.

Latest posts