What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone explain the salary cap to me please?

Coaster

Bench
I understand it is this:
The Salary Cap for 2010 is a maximum limit of $4.1m for the 25 highest remunerated players at each club. All other players that play NRL in the current year must fit under a $350,000 Salary Cap.

But how does this work exactly.
At the titans we have used 25 players so far this season.
1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Micheals
4. Toopie
5. Mead
6. Capewell
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Brown
10 White
11 Bird
12 Thompson
13 Harrison
14 Henderson
15 Tagatese
16 James
17 Cambell
18 Minochello
19 Tonga
20 Lafrancri
21 Myers
22 Ridge
23 Friend
24 Odwyer
25 Lawton

If we played Tomane this week, and he had a higher salary then say Lawton, does Tomane count towards the top 25, and Lawton drop into the second tier?

Or does the club choose the top 25 before season starts, and we could use any of them, at any time, any players like Lawton are automatically added into the second tier cap before season starts?

perverse

Referee
the top 25 are simply the top 25 highest paid players, period. the 2nd tier cap is the next x players to the value of y, y being the $350k you specified. if Tomane has a higher salary than Lawton, then he is more likely to be in the top 25 for salary cap purposes, whether he plays first grade or not. that is, of course, unless concessions are sought for injury situations, etc.

Patorick

Staff member
Just ask...

art_brian-waldron-420x0.jpg

Hooch

Juniors
Ack.. post deleted!

Well, first you build a nice big empty house, see... and if someone should happen to inhabit it, who can be held responsible for such a happenstance?

(can I get away with that?)