What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something to be said for Finch

Zef

Juniors
Even in my "gracious in victory" persona - I still can't find myself rating Finch all that highly. To me he's always been a "champion against duds and a dud against champions" type of player and I still find myself thinking that after Sunday night.

However, one thing I've noticed during my 2 or 20 odd views of the GF on DVD, was that when 1 x Big Willie Mason repeatedly threatened to blow the game into a thousand pieces during the second half - it was 1 x Brett Finch who kept bringing him down. Time and time again.

And plenty of times he did it on his own.

There's something to be said for that.

innsaneink

Referee
If a little bloke cant tackle a big bloke he shouldnt be playing any grade of footy, let alone 1st grade.

No big deal.

Mason ran at him.....he had no choice.

melon....

Coach
The thing it highlights is Mason always has and always will run at little blokes. I think Finch's defence is fantastic and he'll make a good solid 5/8 next year with Firman at 7.

bulldogs = #1

Juniors
melon.... said:
The thing it highlights is Mason always has and always will run at little blokes. I think Finch's defence is fantastic and he'll make a good solid 5/8 next year with Firman at 7.

He's naturally a wide running second rower. he'll always be running out wide.. just look at the game the week before Puletua was always running at our centres.

Smart play if you ask me.

Zef

Juniors
melon.... said:
The thing it highlights is Mason always has and always will run at little blokes.

That's something you never could get could you Melon. Well, let me give you a tip... that's the whole f***in' idea!

Shrek, Roy & Pricey had the job of running at the big fellas. Big Willie and Sonny Bill's job is to isolate the little un's.

And it works too. So there's an early tip for next year because we'll be doing again - it's no secret.

Make sure you tell Sticky.

gregstar

Referee
melon you're the only chook who thinks firman will be in the team. why aren't the others convinced?!

lazza

Juniors
yes he did make those tackles, but gave up 15-20m in the mean time...

i think finch and firman dead set better bulk up over the off season.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The thing it highlights is Mason always has and always will run at little blokes.

So he should. The ABC said it before the game that Mason was at his best on the fringes.

Its clever.

Stranger

Coach
The thing it highlights is Mason always has and always will run at little blokes

Nobody wants to run at the biigest bloke on the field. If you can you should pic the smallest bloke when u get the ball. It decreases risk of injury

KFC

Juniors
If I was as big as Willie Mason I'd be running at little blokes too. As Americans like to say "It's a no brainer".

[furrycat]

Coach
melon.... said:

So he should stop and run at the bigger guys? If the opportunity is there he should take it. That's like saying Tonga shouldn't run at Hodges because Hodges is too shit to tackle him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
as said, he made the tackles but each time mason took it well beyond the advantage line, often draging/carrying Finch for 5-7 metres and i saw finch backing away for a metre of two before even attempting the tackle, he only went him when he had too

credit where its due, he brought him down but it took along time

The Whippet

Juniors
Now we all know that Brett Finch got in FG because his dad has a lot of power. Then he signed with the Roosters because as the old saying goes 'you give a little you get a little.'

Robert Finch makes a deal with the Roosters at the judicary (how do you think that players like Finch, Ricketson & Morley get off?) and Finchy got his son in FG.

strong_latte

Juniors
innsaneink said:
If a little bloke cant tackle a big bloke he shouldnt be playing any grade of footy, let alone 1st grade.

Tell that to all the international stars who got run over by Jonah Lomu! 1st grade league or international union, it's still bloody hard to tackle a big bloke with pace when your half their size!

Stranger

Coach
Tell that to all the international stars who got run over by Jonah Lomu! 1st grade league or international union, it's still bloody hard to tackle a big bloke with pace when your half their size!

Cant run without legs. :roll:

Latest posts