What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something to Crowe about: Inglis trumpeted to US audience

Mickyd39

Juniors
Doesn't matter,the shows they are on are watched by the same amount of people,just because Crowe is a little bit more famous doesn't mean they will listen to him more then what Bana says :lol:

The yanks switch the channel when Bana starts crapping on about AFL and how its played,even the yanks know it is the worst game on the planet.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Dude,your smart enough to realise the Yanks don't give a sh*t about either the AFL or NRL,they only care about themselves and couldn't give a sh*t about what sports other countries play.

Lambretta

First Grade
Actually Rugby League was rather well received when the blokes channel picked it up in the 2009 season. My mate was watching a live game every week in Canada.

Unfortunately for the NRL the channel didn't pick it up again as the NRL demanded payment for broadcast. Eventually it was picked up by some channels, but only rural regional cable and not the big city stations.

What would be excellent is if Russell could use his contacts in the US to gain the NRL access to a nationwide cable channel. The NRL needs to package a weekly highlight show with one game being featured.

Get that into the US and the game stands a chance. It's played in the US off season for NFL and the game with it's linear play structures and tackle count makes far more sense to Americans than either AFL or Union.

We have a golden opportunity to promote the game in the US and we need to take advantage of that.

cleary89

Coach
If these halves are so terrible why did we get the 2nd most points in 2010? Are they perfect? No, but they weren't our biggest problem. That was terrible defense, which is our number 1 priority this offseason. Top 4 here we come.

26 missed tackles in a game has to be some kind of record..... no not a team, for one player.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Actually Rugby League was rather well received when the blokes channel picked it up in the 2009 season. My mate was watching a live game every week in Canada.

Unfortunately for the NRL the channel didn't pick it up again as the NRL demanded payment for broadcast. Eventually it was picked up by some channels, but only rural regional cable and not the big city stations.

What would be excellent is if Russell could use his contacts in the US to gain the NRL access to a nationwide cable channel. The NRL needs to package a weekly highlight show with one game being featured.

Get that into the US and the game stands a chance. It's played in the US off season for NFL and the game with it's linear play structures and tackle count makes far more sense to Americans than either AFL or Union.

We have a golden opportunity to promote the game in the US and we need to take advantage of that.
When the NRL foolishly demanded payment, that was one of their many idiotic moves in recent times. They should have been thankful for any exposure in the US instead of trying to make a few bucks out of it.

I think there is potential for the NRL to have a place on american tv. American Football is by far the most popular sport there, and I think they'd be receptive to an offseason football to keep them going from one season to the next of their version. The plan just has to be created and executed properly, which is harder than it sounds considering the people who run the game now.

Maybe the IC will be more competent on this issue.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Not half obvious which coach they are targeting from Crowe's words in that article.

Which high profile coach is coming off contract at the end of 2011??

The Cowboys will be chasing the same guy after the mid-season sacking of Neil Henry, but they wont be able to match's Souffs cash.

the1

Juniors
As has already been speculated... It will either be Bennett or Bellamy who I think will be coaching Souths in 2011. My money is on Bellamy actually.

VictoryFC

Bench
Some people are overreacting a bit. If I was an American and some bloke was talking about a sport I've never heard of, would I be encouraged to check it out? Quite honestly, not in the slightest.

People say Crowe is good for the game. I agree... he's fantastic for the game here in Australia. Make no mistake though, Crowe isn't converting anyone or raising any awareness. And if you think this is how awareness of sports spreads, then good luck to you.

Sorry to be a downer.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Not a downer just the truth,there isn't one American in that audience or one American sitting at home watching that remembers the name "Greg Inglis"

Teddyboy

First Grade
Heard Crowe say signing Inglis was the equivalent of LeBron James

lol

LeBron earns more money in 12 months than Inglis will make in his career.

LeBron is known in many more countries and watched by a much larger audience than Gary Ingles too

Haven't heard of LeBron is he a Gridiron star.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not his point. His point is Greg Inglis to rugby league is like LeBron James to basketball. He's making the comparison to highlight Inglis' stature in the NRL and that recruiting Inglis to your NRL side is as big a coup as recruiting James for your NBA side.
which brings me to my point.

That is just not the case. Inglis isn't NRL's LeBron.

He's the NRL's Jeff Farmar

bobmar28

Bench

Totally agree.

Latest posts