What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Runner

Gronk

Staff member
Amazing how the clubs demand loyalty when it suits them. They are happy to shaft a player and send him to the sticks to squeeze him at times. Josh Hannay, Brett Seymour, Smokin Joe and now Kidwell.

The Colonel

Immortal
Amazing how the clubs demand loyalty when it suits them. They are happy to shaft a player and send him to the sticks to squeeze him at times. Josh Hannay, Brett Seymour, Smokin Joe and now Kidwell.

The irony of an NRL contract....... only really worth the paper it is printed on if your worth to the team is more effective away from the club than on the park.

Gronk

Staff member
Not even a call to his mates or coach. If you think that is okay because there is a pot of gold at the end then you are as bad as him.

My take on this is partly what The Colonel said. I reckon that he was railroaded into an unfair and unjust contract. He got legal advice that he could walk and he did. Two sides to every story.

hybrideel

Bench
I don't think the issue is going to a job that pays more. The issue is a contract was signed by him agreeing his services to the Bulldogs NRL club for 5 years starting this year. He then jumped on a plane with absolutely no contact with his contracted club beforehand and signed another contract with a different club and code. Money is not the problem most people have although he wouldn't have jumped for less money so the issue is getting clouded. If his contract with the bulldogs finished this year and he took up the offer for next season there would be a couple of articles about losing another of the games superstars, how the NRL needs to find more money and that's about it.
The fact here is that SBW and his manager have just opened a pandoras box and now basically every NRL players knows that they can break their contract and sign with a french rugby club with no consequence other than not being able to come back to the NRL and losing the respect of fans.

Gronk

Staff member
Imagine the frenzy if he had given the heads up before he boarded the plane.

The Colonel

Immortal
My take on this is partly what The Colonel said. I reckon that he was railroaded into an unfair and unjust contract. He got legal advice that he could walk and he did. Two sides to every story.

I thought the legal advice that he had was that the contract was binding....... and that was the outcome of the original meeting that Anthony Mundine, Nasser and Solomon Haumono all rocked up to. It wasn't long after that that he agreed to honour the contract. Not sure the contract was toltally unfair or unjust - $400,000 a season isn't exactly sh*thouse by any stretch when the minimum is $50,000. As I mentioned, a manager worth his salt could make sure he isn't being taxed anywhere in the vicinity of $0.49 in the dollar.

I think you will find that he has acted outside legal advice.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
who cares, the game is bigger than one man. There were mega stars before him and there will be mega stars after him. I can't believe the rubbish that some people in the media are talking about such as dropping the salary cap and cutting the amount teams in sydney. These moves will cause so much more damage than any player moving to another code or country ever would.

Gronk

Staff member
I thought the legal advice that he had was that the contract was binding....... and that was the outcome of the original meeting that Anthony Mundine, Nasser and Solomon Haumono all rocked up to. It wasn't long after that that he agreed to honour the contract. Not sure the contract was toltally unfair or unjust - $400,000 a season isn't exactly sh*thouse by any stretch when the minimum is $50,000. As I mentioned, a manager worth his salt could make sure he isn't being taxed anywhere in the vicinity of $0.49 in the dollar.

I think you will find that he has acted outside legal advice.

Certainly enforceable within the NRL. I have it on good authority that there are precedents on the review of contracts over 3 years for players under 25yo previously heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lucerne.

forward pass

Coach
who cares, the game is bigger than one man. There were mega stars before him and there will be mega stars after him. I can't believe the rubbish that some people in the media are talking about such as dropping the salary cap and cutting the amount teams in sydney. These moves will cause so much more damage than any player moving to another code or country ever would.

That is true Pazza, the game is bigger than one man. Unfortuantely, it is the SBW's and Mark Gasniers that attract sponsorship to the game so it is okay to say that another kid will take his place, but the game MUST have superstars to ensure their is sufficient money in the game.

That is why basketball for example struggles in Australia. No-one knows any of the players and there isn't a player that companies want selling their products for them.

Kornstar

Coach

I know for a fact that the Bulldogs offered him more money and he sat there and told them that he would not sign the contract and when they questioned him he said it is too much money and he owed the club for all the support and everything that they had given him through all his injuries.

To go from that to this is a massive jump and proves that someone has been in his ear and talked him round.

I would like to take the cash too but there is a right and wrong way to go about something, he took the wrong way, simple!

fish eel

Immortal

Of course, and I made that point earlier as well. I agree there are two sides, and it's why I defended Weidler stance.

However, contract terminations are a two way street. If a player is let go early, they are generally given some financial compensation for the remainder of their contract - or they are picked up by another club and the club paying them continues to pay part of their wages, ala Joe Galuvo.

What type of compensation do the dogs get? They'd already done recruitment for next year based on having SBW in their squad. Now they don't, yet they cant spend that money because the quality of player to replace SBW isn't available.

No ifs, no buts, SBW has done the wrong thing by Canterbury and his team mates.An act of cowardice to sneak out the way he did. I dont blame him for taking the money. But f**k me, there are better ways to do things rather than sneak out the back door like a coward. At least have the balls to face your team mates and coach and tell them

fish eel

Immortal
Wilkins on the ABC is on air now, talking about a legal avenue which can see an injunction placed on him by a NSW Court, and enforcement of that injunction sought through a French Court.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The french comp start in a about a months time I believe, hopefully this circus ends before then

Would be a bit of irony if SBW wasnt allowed to play for anyone for 4 years but the bulldiogs, and he refuses to play there. Doubt he be making millions then

hybrideel

Bench
Now that the dogs will have some money for next season i heard they will go hard for the next best thing to SBW, but will be a little cheaper at a bit under $400K. The Name: Tood Lowrie

bartman

Immortal
Wilkins on the ABC is on air now, talking about a legal avenue which can see an injunction placed on him by a NSW Court, and enforcement of that injunction sought through a French Court.
That sounds like it's got more chance of working, than going through the IRB.

I don't know much, but it's contracts law. Surely you can't breach a contract and not have any consequences at all.

I bet the NRL have all the top legal minds they know working on this... otherwise the whole premise of club footy is f**ked! :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant believe how everyone is giving it to SBW and defending the Dogs and the NRL for their court action, yet no one gave a sh*t when Judas walked out on us

Wonder when Manly will sign him

Bazal

Post Whore
I cant believe how everyone is giving it to SBW and defending the Dogs and the NRL for their court action, yet no one gave a sh*t when Judas walked out on us

Wonder when Manly will sign him

To be fair though Twizz, Judas might be a lying piece of sh*t but he went through the proper channels for the most part. He didn't fly halfway around the planet in the middle of the night and not tell anyone

I really couldn't care less about the situation.

Let him go. If anyone else wants to shill out for their 30 pieces of silver then they can f**k off, too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he went further than half way round the planet, Wee Wah

he still walked out on a contract