What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

eels_fan_01

Bench
kav said:
Although relatively new to the top flight, Sonny Bill shows an extraordinary range of talents and the level headedness needed to excel for many years. On that basis, fans have every right to marvel at his achievements and wonder how much better he can become with more experience.

Kav

He shows talent i know that but how many players show talent in the NRL, the majority id say.

Hes played some average games aswell but as i said hes one of the best fowards at the moment.

kav

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
He shows talent i know that but how many players show talent in the NRL, the majority id say.

Hes played some average games aswell but as i said hes one of the best fowards at the moment.

It's not just a particular talent that marks a player of class - it's the range of talent eg Lockyer, Johns or Jones. A coolness under pressure and a certain humility also helps and Sonny Bill has plenty of that.

Kav

eels_fan_01

Bench
kav said:
It's not just a particular talent that marks a player of class - it's the range of talent eg Lockyer, Johns or Jones. A coolness under pressure and a certain humility also helps and Sonny Bill has plenty of that.

Kav

A coolness under pressure? Why because he scored 3 trys agaisnt the Raiders? Thats a load of sh*t.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So are you, trying to talk down one of the most enterprising players in our modern game.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Timmah said:
So are you, trying to talk down one of the most enterprising players in our modern game.

Ive said hes a great player but f*ck me dead. Its obviously if you do put pressure on him, he cant handle it. He trys to throw the micrale pass or hardly ever runs.

The thing that sets him apart IMHO is his work rate, both in attack and defence.

He is always willing to take the first hit-up in a difficult set and often follows up with
either the 3rd or 4th also.

He really leaves most other "creative" forwards behind in that area, especially his
fellow Kiwi's.

And his impact in defence can turn a game in a second.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
eels_fan_01 said:
Ive said hes a great player but f*ck me dead. Its obviously if you do put pressure on him, he cant handle it. He trys to throw the micrale pass or hardly ever runs.

And this is based on...?????

His outstanding performances in finals football and a grand final? Man of the match performances in tests against Australia? wtf are you even talking about?

Smartman

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
And this is based on...?????

His outstanding performances in finals football and a grand final? Man of the match performances in tests against Australia? wtf are you even talking about?

Dont worry, he/she is a bulldog hating eels supporter.

Imagine he was playing for the eels, they would be blowing a load over him.

Hes had rotten luck with injuries but if he stays injury free for the majority of his career, he will end up being an immortal of the game :cool:

eels_fan_01

Bench
Smartman said:
Dont worry, he/she is a bulldog hating eels supporter.

Imagine he was playing for the eels, they would be blowing a load over him.

Hes had rotten luck with injuries but if he stays injury free for the majority of his career, he will end up being an immortal of the game :cool:

Yes i hate the Bulldogs but that does not cloud me over Sonny Bill. I'll say it one more time HES A GREAT PLAYER but he wont be known as one of the best players of all time.

Hutty1986

Immortal
eels_fan_01 said:
Yes i hate the Bulldogs but that does not cloud me over Sonny Bill. I'll say it one more time HES A GREAT PLAYER but he wont be known as one of the best players of all time.

If he stays injury free... and the fact is he's just going to get better and better.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up being one of the best forwards of all time

Blaze

Juniors
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
The thing that sets him apart IMHO is his work rate, both in attack and defence.

He is always willing to take the first hit-up in a difficult set and often follows up with
either the 3rd or 4th also.

He really leaves most other "creative" forwards behind in that area, especially his
fellow Kiwi's.

And his impact in defence can turn a game in a second.

Something that happend in the Eels game underlined his work rate and wasn't highlighted by the commentators on the night.

It was in the first half where the Eels put up a bomb, regathered, threw the ball out to Inu for his first attempted chip and chase try of the night. It was the one where it was awarded no try, knock on against Inu.

SBW made the first tackle on the Eels player that regathered the ball, then got back up and followed the ball as it went through the hands and chased Inu into the in-goal and got a touch on the ball just before Inu attempted to regather which forced him to knock on. That one play is probably my favourite SBW play this season.

Nathan B

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
...HES A GREAT PLAYER but he wont be known as one of the best players of all time.

Then you can only be predicting a big loss of form or a career-wrecking injury, because if he keeps this pace up for another 8-10 years, it will be absolutely inevitable that he becomes one of the best players of all time.

Now, I can understand if you predict the injury, but why you would want to I don't know. As for the loss of form... I've got no idea how anyone can predict that. He's only 22 and has only played 50-something games. I think forwards usually peak a little later. IMO, he'll get better. Maybe not better than last week, but he'll produce those types of performances more often.

petetheileet

First Grade
He is the only real young player (23 or less) that we thought were going to be superstars to really take off this year....

If i was to pick any player in my team at the moment he would be my first choice...

has shown the ability to do almost anything this year....

Makes meters, takes hit ups, stay on the field for 70+, make plenty of tackles, win games with defense, line breaks, offloads, tackles busts, score tries, try assists....etc, etc

What more does he need to do....people cant note all of this and not admit he is one of the games best

Since the roosters game IMO he has been the best player in the NRL

lucablight

First Grade
As much as I hate to say this I think it's quite obvious Sonny Bill Williams will go down as one of the greatest players of all time. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial or has a massive case of sour grapes.

Ridders

Coach
bit early to say that he will go down as one of the greatest, although he's certainly heading that way.

JJ

Immortal
eels_fan_01 said:

Well, we can't really be sure on that for a few years.

But what I'll say is that Lockyer aside, he's the most likely current player to be considered among the best ever.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
As much as I dislike the Bulldogs and the Kiwis, I hope he keeps getting better, because he is a good footballer to watch when is he's on song.

Charlie124

First Grade
Gee this thread is awfully quiet all of a sudden, on the second page already, didn't the bulldogs game finish a few hours ago? hmmm... anyone would think "the genius, the greatest forward on earth" had a pretty average game again... completely outshone by some no name from Brisbane.

Latest posts