What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

ShineDog

Juniors
Sonny Bill Williams is worth every cent he is paid.

By far the most under rated player in the NRL. His performance against the Warriors was outstanding. There is no player in todays game who can create the opportunities in attack like this guy. He attracts numerous defenders at once and has the games best offload...give the ball to SBW in the opposing 20 and it is all over!!

ouwet

Bench
ShineDog said:
Sonny Bill Williams is worth every cent he is paid.

By far the most under rated player in the NRL. His performance against the Warriors was outstanding. There is no player in todays game who can create the opportunities in attack like this guy. He attracts numerous defenders at once and has the games best offload...give the ball to SBW in the opposing 20 and it is all over!!

Brilliant effort by SBW... Not only yesterday but for the last few weeks!

Can't wait for Mason and Utai to comeback with Williams in a roving lock position:D.

SHineDog i agree with you, Sonny attracts 3-4 players almost every time he has the ball... Anyone see the Cleal try yesterday? 3 Warriors players went in for Sonny who only throw a simple pass to Cleal to stroll over the line... No other player would attract that kind of attention and be smart enough to pass.

CharlieF

Juniors
At least he can keep you off the bottom of the ladder.

Doesn't appear as good as all the talk about him though because he cannot consistently do it. The fact that the Dogs are fighting to stay away from last place instead of competing for a top 4 spot confirms his and the Dogs influence currently.

From what I have seen he is a good player, but not an absolute superstar as everyone is saying (look at Dogs currently). And although he is known to get an offload away, he does it needlessly at times and can quite easily lose the game. His style of tackling is also being outlawed, so this may affect his defensive impact.

Nathan B

Juniors
CharlieF said:
Doesn't appear as good as all the talk about him though because he cannot consistently do it. The fact that the Dogs are fighting to stay away from last place instead of competing for a top 4 spot confirms his and the Dogs influence currently.

Least he's a better player than Darren Lockyer, right?

Ice777

Bench
Dodger said:
Easily our player of the season so far, improving every week and yesterday he had a blinder.

In all seriousness, It wouldn't be too hard to stake that claim this season.

Very good on his day, yet inconsistant player who isn't worth $400,000+. Of course that's just my opinion.

Nathan B

Juniors
Where does all this talk of inconsistency come from?

Yes, he missed a couple of bad tackles against Melbourne and he has a mistake in his game (which will happen when you're the game's leading offloader and charged as THE guy to create something from nothing for your team), but he's hardly played a bad game for us in his career. I count less than 5 from memory. Considering rookies' second years are invariably littered with poor performances, he's done very well.

Sonny's first 50 NRL games is one of the very best first 50 games of anyone to play the game. If they weren't spread over 100 bloody games I'd have no doubts it would be universally recognised as such. And all this while he's been playing with injuries, and has spent a large proportion of it unable to train and playing out of position. In fact, Sunday's game was the first time he's played in his right position since '04.

I hope his next 50 games are spread over... 50 games! If this happens he will be the world's best forward by the end of it.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Exactly Nathan! I make the effort to watch the Dogs whenever possible and 99% of my reason is cos I just love watching SBW. I've probably watched almost all of those 50 games and I'd say he's had maybe 3 or 4 bad ones. All the talk of inconsistency is based on absolutely nothing.

Nathan B

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Exactly Nathan! I make the effort to watch the Dogs whenever possible and 99% of my reason is cos I just love watching SBW. I've probably watched almost all of those 50 games and I'd say he's had maybe 3 or 4 bad ones. All the talk of inconsistency is based on absolutely nothing.

I've watched every one of his hitups, tackles, offloads etc in first grade and Test-match footy. I've also seen him come up in Flegg and PL.

3 or 4... spot on.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
ShineDog said:
By far the most under rated player in the NRL.

You're kidding me right?

Under-rated? The bloke's been touted as the Bulldogs messiah for the last two and a half seasons.

Under-rated is a tag you give when a players competes well and does NOT recieve the media hype SBW is given, or is shunned from Representative Football for reasons unknown to the public. i.e. Anthony Laffranchi or Paul Gallen.

ByRd

First Grade
hindmarsh4pm said:
move over SBW feleti mateo is here
loll parra fans :roll: nah in all seriousness Mateo can be something special and has all the talent in the world but no doubt this wont be fulfilled at the eels ;-)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Drew-Sta said:
You're kidding me right?

Under-rated? The bloke's been touted as the Bulldogs messiah for the last two and a half seasons.

Under-rated is a tag you give when a players competes well and does NOT recieve the media hype SBW is given, or is shunned from Representative Football for reasons unknown to the public. i.e. Anthony Laffranchi or Paul Gallen.

Different kinds of underrated

When an outstanding player gets bagged more than he gets praised, it's fair to say he's very underrated.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:

When an outstanding player gets bagged more than he gets praised, it's fair to say he's very underrated.

Braith Anasta/Brett Finch Underrated.. Now we get you :lol:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
You reckon Anasta and Finch are outstanding players??

Although Finch is definitely underrated, but certainly not in SBW's class.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Thierry Henry said:

There is a massive difference between under-rated and tall poppy syndrome.

Thierry Henry said:
Although Finch is definitely underrated, but certainly not in SBW's class.

Brett Finch is NOT underrated, he is overrated.

* Does not dominate at club level
* Does not defend properly
* Limited attacking options

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
No.

Tall-poppy syndrome----> good player gets bagged------> general opinion of him is unjustifiably low----------> underrated

The general opinion of Finch is that he is the worst player in NRL history or something close to it, given that, he is clearly underrated

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Thierry Henry said:
No.

Tall-poppy syndrome----> good player gets bagged------> general opinion of him is unjustifiably low----------> underrated

The general opinion of Finch is that he is the worst player in NRL history or something close to it, given that, he is clearly underrated

underrate verb [T]
to fail to understand how skilful, important, etc. someone or something is.

And...

In modern Australasia, tall poppy syndrome is frequently invoked as an explanation when a public figure is on the receiving end of negative publicity

Did you even read the links I posted? Are you trying to tell me that people fail to understand how skillful and important SBW is?

SBW is one of the most skilled players running around. If you're trying to tell me he's underrated because he recieves some bad press from some of the people on this forum who think he's inconsistent, then you're wrong.

He received universal accolades for his debut performance in which, playing at centre/three quarter he scored a try against the Parramatta Eels, outclassing prominent Kangaroo representative, Jamie Lyon. He went on to establish himself in the Bulldogs team, and played a big part in their Grand Final success that year, where he was deemed a 'revelation' by many members of the press. He made his debut for the New Zealand national side at the end of the year, aged only 18. ~ Source

People would not say he was a 'revelation' or outclassing an International in his debut if they thought he was underrated.

By your theory, any good player that is bagged means they're underrated, which is pure stupidity. Secondly, I dare you to find 5 Dogs fans who have a general low opinion of him. It's rediculous, you're making him out to be some kid who's been publicly vilified for some unknown reason. The only reaons I can see him recieving bad press is because morons who listen to the Telecrap then watch his game and expect him to walk on water. It doesn't happen like that. He's 21 and people expect so much of him that when he only delivers an 8/10 game, people seem to think he's inconsistent.

It's rubbish. The kid isn't underrated, if anything he's unjistifiably overhyped and has unreasonable expectations placed on him.

Latest posts