What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO saved Aussie Rugby League says king Wally

Nerd

Bench
I think he actually said it saved the QLD v NSW games not Australian Rugby League.

I think he actually said it saved the QLD v NSW games not Australian Rugby League.
I suppose that begs the question as to what our overall TV rating would be if it wasn't for SOO, and without SOO would we be so dominant on the international stage.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I think it saved the Kings bank balance. He would have been a big fish in a small backwater pond were it not for origin.

latingringo101

Juniors
Origin was perfect back in the 80s to stop Sydney clubs stealing the top QLD talent for the state side. With the emergence of the Broncos and Cowboys it started to bring in the mentality of "only a two states game". By the start of the 2000s the fruits were firmly set in stone.

The Pacific tests, Kiwis wins, Rise of the Storm, Tonga, Fiji and PNG Hunters has helped even the balance a bit, but SOO still remains supreme on the RL calendar in Oz.