What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOOT: Price blocked from NSW assistant coaching role

Frenzy.

Immortal
I say good!

Here

Cronulla Sharks assistant coach Steve Price has reportedly been blocked from taking up a role with the New South Wales Blues for the 2024 State of Origin series.

The Blues are in the process of radically changing their coaching set-up for the 2024 series, with Michael Maguire taking over head coaching responsibilities from Brad Fittler, who fell from the role after back-to-back series losses.

Fittler wasn't the only departure, with a number of his key staff, including advisor Greg Alexander and other assistant coaches standing down.

Maguire, according to News Corp has been pursuing Steve Price - a former head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons and long-time assistant at the Sharks on either side of that - for a role within camp.

But it won't be allowed to proceed, with Sharks' head coaching being forced to block the move for Price and deny his leave from the club during the Origin period, given Josh Hannay is already a member of the Queensland coaching staff.

Queensland's staff has also had a change in recent days, with Matt Ballin confirmed as a new assistant coach, taking the position of the departing Cameron Smith.

Hannay's crucial role within the Queensland camp though will block Price from joining the Blues, with Fitzgibbon rightly suggesting he can't afford to lose two assistant coaches at the same time during what is often a critical part of the year as fringe players step in to fill in for selected Origin players.

It's a bitter blow for Maguire as he builds his New South Wales staff, with the coach having had Price on his Kiwis staff during last year's Pacific Cup, which resulted in New Zealand taking out the final with a 30-0 win over Australia.

I say good!

Here

Cronulla Sharks assistant coach Steve Price has reportedly been blocked from taking up a role with the New South Wales Blues for the 2024 State of Origin series.

The Blues are in the process of radically changing their coaching set-up for the 2024 series, with Michael Maguire taking over head coaching responsibilities from Brad Fittler, who fell from the role after back-to-back series losses.

Fittler wasn't the only departure, with a number of his key staff, including advisor Greg Alexander and other assistant coaches standing down.

Maguire, according to News Corp has been pursuing Steve Price - a former head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons and long-time assistant at the Sharks on either side of that - for a role within camp.

But it won't be allowed to proceed, with Sharks' head coaching being forced to block the move for Price and deny his leave from the club during the Origin period, given Josh Hannay is already a member of the Queensland coaching staff.

Queensland's staff has also had a change in recent days, with Matt Ballin confirmed as a new assistant coach, taking the position of the departing Cameron Smith.

Hannay's crucial role within the Queensland camp though will block Price from joining the Blues, with Fitzgibbon rightly suggesting he can't afford to lose two assistant coaches at the same time during what is often a critical part of the year as fringe players step in to fill in for selected Origin players.

It's a bitter blow for Maguire as he builds his New South Wales staff, with the coach having had Price on his Kiwis staff during last year's Pacific Cup, which resulted in New Zealand taking out the final with a 30-0 win over Australia.
There's got to be a lot of FOG's ,with time to spare to help out SOO, without plucking critical coaching staff out of NRL teams at critical time.. Should block Hannay as well.

Last edited:

DJDL

Bench
State of Origin and the NRL season is kind of like Easter and Christmas for me.
You know, like hot crossed buns hit the shelves on Boxing Day.
Similarly, on the Monday after Rd1 of the NRL season everyone starts crapping on about who'll make the SOO sides.

I long for the days when the sides were announced on Sunday, the match was played on Wednesday, and then everyone went about their business.

It's getting beyond a joke.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Unfortunately Origin is a cash cow for the NRL. Yes I watch it but only because I'm a footy nut. It lost a lot of it's oomph when the powers to be rightfully but regretfully took away the biff and shoulder charges etc. I liken it to the Melbourne Cup....a showpiece for the once a year punters. Would have absolutely no problem if they f**ked it off all together but that'll never happen.

Inferno

Coach
Bennett has thrown his hat in for the Kiwi job, if he gets it you'd think Price would be a great chance of staying on as an assistant given they worked together at the Dragons.

I hadn't realised he was an assistant for the Kiwis. Quite helpful having three coaches on staff with recent or current connections to NSW, QLD and the Kiwis...