What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souffs 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
How good was that! Very satisfying.

That was an astute coaching performance from Robbo who took any sting out of the contest by putting JWH and Cheese on the bench. I'm sure he didn't plan to be 10-0 down but once they came on we dominated the next 40 minutes. Souffs had an opportunity to go 16-0 up but blew it and we were probably done at that point but they hung in there and got a really good win which will hopefully expel the souths hoodoo and kick start our season.

JWH was phenomenal, what a man. I think coming off the bench will be his thing this year when Lodge returns but probably need him to start until then. I thought Collins was very good again, he seems to have tidied up his ball control.

Good to see cheese get through a game and show what he can do. Paulo was very good again, I wasn't sure about his signing but apart from being stripped by an excellent latrell pass he has hardly put a foot wrong.

The teddy/keary/walker combination is coming along too, they nearly put on a few good plays for tries. They are very close to breaking a game wide open IMO.

Sualli had a tough night against Graham who is a bad match up defensively for him but tried hard all game. Manu is still finding his feet in attack but was immense defensively.

Good to see rads get through a game and not lose his head against souths.

We still look thin in the back row., Nat and Egan are serviceable players but probably better on the bench, especially Egan. I thought May was very good when he came on and is going to be tough to leave out of the 17 once Lodge, sitilli and Angus return.

3 JWH
2 Collins
1 Teddy

The most important part of that win is we are now 2 from 3 with a bye next week. We have a real chance now to avoid chasing our tales to make the top 4 like we have the last 3 seasons. We have a good record against parra and then face storm and sharks away. If we win 2 of those 3 we are off and running.

Zadar

Juniors
3-JWH
2-BS
1-paulo, they sent everything at him, and apart from a lapse or two, i thought he stood up really well.

3 points: Jared Warea-Hargreaves. The game changed appreciably when he and a certain other player came on at the 25 minute mark. 16 runs for 149 metres, 58 post contact metres, and 19 quality tackles. He helped get us moving forward with the ball in hand as well as helping tighten up the ruck defence. He may be 34 but still is the leader of the pack.

2 points: Brandon Smith. Came on with Jared at the 25 minute mark and "Cheese" made a nerar instant impact. Had a quality run which lead to him scoring hi9s first try for the Roosters, added some good probing runs from dummy half. Also with Jared helped tighten up the ruck defence. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

1 point: Luke Keary. Steered the team around the park, calling plays, and had some excellent kicking. His chip kick for Daniel Tupou's try was a gem.

Honourable mention: Jaxson Paulo.

Gave us no hope going into the game last night and the first 20 minutes justified my fears. Souths we’re making a ton of yards on every set and seemed like they always had 3 or 4 defenders in every tackle. They also butchered a couple of tries which could’ve made things worse. But just as Jared/Cheese came on, Souths were looking gassed. Lots of hands on hips and walking slowly back to the mark. They used all their petrol up in that early blitzkrieg.
@Valheru yeh, I thought SualliI did alright. Some dropped ball but he was clearly targeted by Souths as the danger man. Great games also by Collins, Sammy, Paulo and Teddy was his usual dynamo self. Keary worried me in the beginning as he looked to be lacking confidence but those worries were soon dispelled. That deft kick to Toops was pinpoint brilliant.
Jared, oh how I will miss that big, beautiful merkin next year. And lastly Joey, he doesn’t make that try saver on Tass, they go on to win, I reckon.

3 - JWH
2 - Cheese
1 - Keary

We were playing on a warm night that followed a hot Saturday arvo after a shorter week than what Souths had. That was the game we needed last night and Souths may have played us into some form.

PS

After the unjustified hysteria over Manu’s high tackle where he was clearly trying to knock the ball out of the ball carrier’s arms, Souths get a penalty and Trell goes for goal that misses. Roosters players in the in goal could’ve caught the ball and run into the field of play and keep possession. They chose however to let it go dead thinking they’ll get a tap restart? Anyone remember what went on there?

Last edited:
Souths seem to be at its best when the game is stop start. It enables its players to get an breather. When the game is free flowing with few stoppages, they struggle more because some of the Souths players run out of gas. You only have to look at last night, Round 25 last year, and the first week of the finals last year to see it.

PS

After the unjustified hysteria over Manu’s high tackle where he was clearly trying to knock the ball out of the ball carrier’s arms, Souths get a penalty and Trell goes for goal that misses. Roosters players in the in goal could’ve caught the ball and run into the field of play and keep possession. They chose however to let it go dead thinking they’ll get a tap restart? Anyone remember what went on there?

I don't know what they were thinking, but it's never been a 20 metre tap if a shot at goal from a penalty misses and goes dead. It has always been a 20 metre (or before that a 22 metre) drop out.

I don't know what they were thinking, but it's never been a 20 metre tap if a shot at goal from a penalty misses and goes dead. It has always been a 20 metre (or before that a 22 metre) drop out.
Just to confirm, it was very catchable in the in goal and could’ve been run into the field of play and maintain possession, it wasn’t just my eyes, yeh?

Valheru

Coach
Souths seem to be at its best when the game is stop start. It enables its players to get an breather. When the game is free flowing with few stoppages, they struggle more because some of the Souths players run out of gas. You only have to look at last night, Round 25 last year, and the first week of the finals last year to see it.

Yeah that is definitely becoming a thing with souths.

We had every right to be the more fatigued team after 2 games in very hot conditions whilst souths played at night in much cooler temperatures but we were easier the more fit team.

Valheru

Coach
Just to confirm, it was very catchable in the in goal and could’ve been run into the field of play and maintain possession, it wasn’t just my eyes, yeh?

On tv tedesco definitely questioned the restart, I just thought he was being cynical and wasting time but from what you say they left it on purpose. It isn't something that happens often but they should know the rules.

Hard to tell on TV if it was catchable. Speaking of which what was it like at the game? I am in year 4 of paying for a full ticketed membership I can barely use but moving back to Sydney for next season and can't wait to get back there for most games!

On tv tedesco definitely questioned the restart, I just thought he was being cynical and wasting time but from what you say they left it on purpose. It isn't something that happens often but they should know the rules.

Hard to tell on TV if it was catchable. Speaking of which what was it like at the game? I am in year 4 of paying for a full ticketed membership I can barely use but moving back to Sydney for next season and can't wait to get back there for most games!
The ground is awesome. As a bronze member, they stuck us behind the in goal, which I hate but my mates and I are happy to stand on the concourse (something you couldn’t do at the old ground) at around the 30/40 metre line and you’re so damn close. Security doesn’t mind as long as you don’t block the stairs. Can’t believe we put up with the SCG for so long.

The ground is awesome. As a bronze member, they stuck us behind the in goal, which I hate but my mates and I are happy to stand on the concourse (something you couldn’t do at the old ground) at around the 30/40 metre line and you’re so damn close. Security doesn’t mind as long as you don’t block the stairs. Can’t believe we put up with the SCG for so long.

The SCG was really the only alternative in the vicinity that was available whilst the construction work was going on. Relocating to Kogarah, Olympic Park or Parramatta would have been worse.

Don't forget that when they were building the original SFS, the club moved just about all its home games to Henson Park for 2 seasons.

The SCG was really the only alternative in the vicinity that was available whilst the construction work was going on. Relocating to Kogarah, Olympic Park or Parramatta would have been worse.
Oh, not disputing that mate but the new ground makes you wonder how we put up with the old girl for so long. Did you ever get your seat allocation fixed up? Can’t remember if you posted an update

Valheru

Coach
I just saw the penalty on Cody walker after the manu saved try where he took out Sam Walker. Anyone actually seen that properly? Deadset should have been a sin bin, that was a good 5 seconds after he passed the ball and Cody went looking for him.

Also, I didn't notice at the time but toops was actually off the last 5 minutes so we were playing 11 on 12 which means their last try makes more sense, keary was defending at centre.

Whilst the names of the judges are unknown, the attitudes of the Dally M judges are unchanged. Of the two judges, both of them gave 3 points to Teddy, one gave 2 points to Keary, and one gave 1 point to Radley. (Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/20/dally-m-update-round-3/)

I mean seriously?! What game were they watching?!

Edit: I just realised why (to some extent). JWH only played a total of 38 minutes of the game. Still.....

Last edited:
I just saw the penalty on Cody walker after the manu saved try where he took out Sam Walker. Anyone actually seen that properly? Deadset should have been a sin bin, that was a good 5 seconds after he passed the ball and Cody went looking for him.

Also, I didn't notice at the time but toops was actually off the last 5 minutes so we were playing 11 on 12 which means their last try makes more sense, keary was defending at centre.
Didn’t notice Cody take Sammy out at the ground as I was following the ball but saw it later on at home. Thought immediately it was a sin bin. Christ that man’s a grub. Didn’t notice Toops off either nor did the commentators it seems.

Valheru

Coach
Whilst the names of the judges are unknown, the attitudes of the Dally M judges are unchanged. Of the two judges, both of them gave 3 points to Teddy, one gave 2 points to Keary, and one gave 1 point to Radley. (Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/20/dally-m-update-round-3/)

I mean seriously?! What game were they watching?!

Edit: I just realised why (to some extent). JWH only played a total of 38 minutes of the game. Still.....

The whole thing is a mess. To not give JWH a single point is completely ridiculous.

The sooner the whole system is reinvented with each player rated out of 10 every game the better.