What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sould Brian Smith stay - Vote now

Should Brian Smith Stay

• Total voters

slippery eel

Juniors
This isn't a bitch thread, but are there any Parra fans here who still want him as our coach?. Just wanted to know the ppl's opinion!.

The Colonel

Immortal
You haven't read too many of the threads in here have you?

As he is staying next year it is a tad pointless. If he stays he stays and if he goes he goes and Parramatta Eels will always remain.

If we have more excuses than results next year I will probably change my tune but at this stage I support him for the fact that next year he is the coach.

Suitman

Post Whore
I just cast my vote but only for the reasons that Colonel Sanders provided.
We are basically stuck with him, so in reality, it is a pretty pointless poll.

If halfway through next season, things haven't improved on this year, my vote will certainly be different.

Suitman

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hard one to answer, what are the other options, and who is he up against?

Pazza

First Grade
I think Birian should go as head coach but still hold a role in the coaching staff at the eels. I think Brian Still has alot to offer the club but i would like to see someone who has done it all in league be coach of the eels. A man who has won a grand final, lost a grand final, represented state and country and who has a good reputation amongst the people assosiated with league, Fans, players and administators. A man that can tell our players what it is like on grand final day through personal experiance and prepare them accordingly. Someone like Laurie Dailey, ricky Stuart worked quite well at the Roosters. He is such a professional!

Suitman

Post Whore
I sometimes wonder why people read these boards.

At last count, there had been 47 reads of this thread, for 11 votes.

I know the care factor must be zero with some people, but this is a subject that most have a passionate view one way or the other.

All it takes is a left click on the mouse.
Can't be that hard, can it?

Suity

Misty Bee

First Grade
Pazza said:
I think Birian should go as head coach but still hold a role in the coaching staff at the eels. I think Brian Still has alot to offer the club but i would like to see someone who has done it all in league be coach of the eels. A man who has won a grand final, lost a grand final, represented state and country and who has a good reputation amongst the people assosiated with league, Fans, players and administators. A man that can tell our players what it is like on grand final day through personal experiance and prepare them accordingly. Someone like Laurie Dailey, ricky Stuart worked quite well at the Roosters. He is such a professional!

That's not a bad call. Stuart, having won premierships, Origins and Tests, knows what it takes. Its that experience that is invaluable in preparing a side for a big one.

Another name to consider - Gene Miles?

Slimy Eel

Juniors
slippery eel said:
This isn't a bitch thread, but are there any Parra fans here who still want him as our coach?. Just wanted to know the ppl's opinion!.
NO .how do ya vote?

whocares

Juniors
I did vote for that choice.
I guess ....
BS should stay .I have seen other clubs giving chances to their coaches. For example Wayne Benette or Michale Hagan. SO why not BS.
I gave us one grand fina. Last year mass exodus.
Well I do not know whom to point at BS or managament or may be both. We need to tighten the policy of recruits.
I think that will do better. I personally feel that coach wants to give best no matter what. For example Peter Sharp, you think Des Hassler is going to do better job, I doubt it. Manly players are terrible at times. I do not think u can blame coach for that.
But Sharks, yeah I will blame Chris Anderson that for sure.

slippery eel

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
You haven't read too many of the threads in here have you?

As he is staying next year it is a tad pointless. If he stays he stays and if he goes he goes and Parramatta Eels will always remain.

If we have more excuses than results next year I will probably change my tune but at this stage I support him for the fact that next year he is the coach.

i know he's staying but my question was more to do with - is he the right man for the job. lets say his contract ran out this year, would you want him to coach next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
If his contract ran out today and I knew what the options were it would depend.

If Terry Matterson, John Cartwright or Kevin Moore were up for the job I wouldn't hesitate to say no.

However its a hard decision to make when the alternatives aren't offered.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Next year should depend on whether he stays or not, if Parramatta misses the top 8 again then its bye bye Smithy. But if Parramatta does make the top 8 and just misses out on a GF, then he'll stay.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Everyone says "If Brian Smith doesn't get us to the tiop4 next year, then we'll ditch him"

My point - why wait that long? What, after 2 failed years, the right to a shot at a third?

The Colonel

Immortal
I think it has something to do with the fact that the board has said they would honour his contract for next year at least???

I'm not giving him one more year...... if they hired a new coach I wouldn't mind but they haven't so it doesn't matter if I want him to leave or not.

Misty Bee

First Grade
This has nothing to do with the board. It is a simple question: Should he stay, or should he go? Forget the contracts, it's simply a question of fan support.

The Colonel

Immortal
It is a question of fan support and as he is the coach for next year I support him simple as that. If here was a new coach then I would support him as well.

Redback71

First Grade
i deffinetly want him to stay 100 per cent his a great coach and on paper it looks like weve had a great recruitment of players (although theres at least 3 players i feel we should have kept) so i say lets wait till the end of next season and if we dont perform exceptionally well then demot him to some kind of assistant and bring in a new coach with new ideas like JT!

Eels Dude

Coach
Smith should have another year in the job, if he can't improve things next year I say he should be let go. He has the side to perform well and if he cannot get the best out of them then he is not the man for the job.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Brian should go!!!.......If Hindmarsh and a few others didn't return from injury he would of been given the arse a while back IMO!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Maybe he should and maybe he shouldn't. The thing is - he has a contract that keeps him here for two more years. It will be reviewed next year if the team does not perform. What that performance is based on is up to the board.

](*,)

IMO if people spent less time arguing about whether he should or shouldn't be the coach next year and put their support behind him the team itself then the club might be a damn sight better off next year.