What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

Not about expansion. Rather the past. Does anyone know anybody who supported them or was even vaguely interested in them? Anyone on here own any Crushers merchandise? Any fond memories of them? Anything Crushers related you wanna share?

Garts

Bench
My only memories are of Mario getting falconed and that Garrick Morgan was no good as a league player.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Not much.

My father was a Crushers 500 Member (the first 500) and attended for the three years of their existence.

I remember going to a match with him and being mystified at this useless union player who looked like he was playing in slow motion.

In 96, the Broncos/Crushers match was jam-packed and we were hanging off the walls at the Northern End. It was a fabulous atmosphere that I hope can be replicated when the Brothers join the NRL.

Funnily enough, I bought a mint condition 1996, non sponsored Crushers home jersey on Saturday.

It's a f***ing beauty (most on ebay have cracked, faded XXXX Gold or AV Jennings sponsorships OR pie n beer stains)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not about expansion. Rather the past. Does anyone know anybody who supported them or was even vaguely interested in them? Anyone on here own any Crushers merchandise? Any fond memories of them? Anything Crushers related you wanna share?

i have a cap.

they were my '2nd team' when they entered the comp, with me being a QLD fan but hating the broncos..

and i was a mad bob lindner fan, so was stoked when i caught him at canberra stadium when he was coaching the crushers & got him to sign my QLD SOO jersey with 'lindner' on the back..

Sir Biffo

Bench
Mr Choks Buffet World.

Crushers Leagues used to be a great place to go, trivia entertainment, all you can eat buffet and I remember asking the barman when happy hour was, to which he replied "every hour of every day".

Went to a Crushers game, maybe 1996 ... Crushers vs Newcastle. It started pissing down rain about the 45 minute mark and everyone started legging it up the grandstand to get out of the rain. Newcastle thrashed them. They used to have a train that went round the outside of the ground, and they'd play a song "ONYA CRUSHERS, ONYA CRUSHERS, ONYA SOUTH QUEENSLAND CRUSHERS".

Diesel

Referee
Crushers leagues club used to do a mean all-you-can-eat buffet

The chicken schnitzel was only $2 on Tuesdays. Beer and wine was cheap as. Good times the old Crushers Leagues clubs. Brothers own it now.

A new Brisbane NRL team would be far more supported than the Crushers, they wouldn't have to deal with News Ltd and their takeover of Brisbane and SL

It's a shame the ARL and the News Ltd demanded NRL piece deal couldn't keep the Crushers in Brisbane, perhaps they were scared of them? I remember a Crushers-Gold Coast Chargers merger was discussed but never happened, shame because if it went ahead in '98 we would've had the CC Bears in 2007

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

It was pretty hard for the Crushers to flourish considering 1 week into their ARL career the Super League war erupted.

We all know what happened after that. The poor old Crushers had to share a city with the News LTD favoured Broncos.

They still managed to average 21k in their first year.

Did North Sydney ever average 21K? Will anyone ever average 21k on the Central Coast?

Brutus

Referee
Some of those local derbies against the Broncos were absolutely pumping.

Sadly they were no more after 96.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Always had a soft spot for them and the Reds. Hell, chuck in the Rams too. The expansion period is when I got into the game.

beave

Coach
What was the train logo supposed to represent? I thought at the time it had something to do with sugar cane???

axl rose

Bench
It's a shame the ARL and the News Ltd demanded NRL piece deal couldn't keep the Crushers in Brisbane, perhaps they were scared of them?

Part of the peace deal was the Broncos/News Ltd monopoly for Brisbane. ARL were happy to let the Crushers go as they owned them and they were bleeding money anyway.

Memories? the talent was there in the lower grades. Just needed time. Sadly self-interest always rules when it comes to league.

2la4ort.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
i have a cap.

they were my '2nd team' when they entered the comp, with me being a QLD fan but hating the broncos..

and i was a mad bob lindner fan, so was stoked when i caught him at canberra stadium when he was coaching the crushers & got him to sign my QLD SOO jersey with 'lindner' on the back..

I've just lost all respect I ever had for you Muz. A f**king seat pisser. May as well be a Souffs fan. :p Agree on Lindner though. Was stoked when he signed for the Steelers. A pity he only stayed one year and then retired to take on the Crushers gig.

As for the Crushers, I recall them getting humiliated by the Chargers 52-4, and Rod Wishart scoring a hat trick against them.

And since we're in a retro mood, I'll just point out I'm wearing my Steelers jersey as I type this.

beave

Coach
Wasn't it representative of the trains that haul cane?

Which I always thought strange because in all honesty, NQ and SQ should have swapped nicknames as I am pretty sure there's more beef n shit down there and more cane up here. Their colours were utter trash though, who the f**k thought baby poo gold would look good on a jersey?

Latest posts