What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire mourns mother's death, Rabbitohs loss in same day

JOSH MASSOUD THE DAILY TELEGRAPH SEPTEMBER 28, 2013 12:10AM

Coach Michael Maguire and captain John Sutton reflect on South Sydney's 30-20 loss to Manly in the first NRL Preliminary Final.

FOR all the pain that must have been tearing him up inside, Souths coach Michael Maguire wore a remarkably calm expression.

Having endured an horrible day that ended with his team eliminated for the second time at the penultimate hurdle, Maguire left ANZ Stadium as Friday night's most respected competitor.

Earlier in the day Maguire learned his mother, who lived in Canberra, passed away. Rabbitohs players wore black armbands as a mark of respect, the tragedy lifting their already intense desire to win that little bit more.

So it was no wonder that skipper John Sutton faced the media with red eyes and a shaken voice.

"Madge (Maguire) is a tough bloke and we wanted to go out there and do him proud," Sutton said.
"I'm devastated we didn't get the result for him."

Somehow containing his emotions, Maguire added: "It's been a tough day. But I've got a great footy team and great people in this organisation. It's part of what we are trying to build here. We've got to stick together."

Whatever coach Geoff Toovey said at halftime worked a treat
Throughout the season Maguire regularly spoke about what Souths had learned from losing the corresponding match to Canterbury 12 months ago.

But September-seasoned Manly proved a different prospect, blowing the Rabbitohs off the park with a second half exhibition that will leave a nightmarish imprint from Marrickville to Malabar until the chance to atone arrives next autumn.

"I just couldn't believe it," Sutton said. "Just that second half - it's not the way we played.

"It's so tough. I'm devastated to go out like that."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...loss-in-same-day/story-fni3gki9-1226728912477

TheParraboy

Staff member
very tough day for Michael

the souths lose pales in comparison

thoughts with him and his family :(

innsaneink

Referee
Yeh terrible for madge, held himself well...camera shots of him in the box during the game told the story, a range of emotions....condolences

Bad luck Souths

afinalsin666

First Grade
The football gods are vengeful and without mercy, unfortunately. Give Madge probably the worst day of his life, and ends Danny Buderus' career within ten minutes on the same weekend.

Poor bastard held up well. Absolute professional, I can't even imagine holding up half as well as he did.

KOOCH

Juniors
From a wigan warrior supporter. Sorry to learn that Michael's mother passed away.We at wiganwarriorsfans.com send our deepest condolences. Kooch