What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
A rough night to say the least.

I will address the performance first, it was poor obviously. We just didn't give ourselves a chance in the first half and the game got away from us. I thought the 2nd half was reasonable and winning the 2nd half was a positive.

On individuals, I thought Collins was tremendous and is coming along beautifully and wishing him a speedy recovery. I give poor Jared a pass mark, he was trying to change the game off the bench and it just went wrong for him.

Overall the loss is of no consequence in the long run, you have down nights and it is only round 3 so plenty to work on and the team will be better for the run.

Daniel Fifita - don't do that again.

3 Collins
2 Angus
1 Teddy

Now the elephant in the room. The injury to Keary is devastating. Still hoping it is not ACL but that looks unlikely. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope he can hit the ground running next year.

Lam is probably also out for 6-8 weeks. That is nowhere near as big a deal for me as I don't think he was lasting too much longer in the starting side.

So what do we do now? Walker has to come straight in at 7. The kid is ready and has been on the edge of debut to start the season. I believe it was always the plan that by end of season he would be in the starting side so it is just happening quicker than expected.

I like Manu as the option at 6. I said a couple weeks ago it was an option. He is a big body at 6 which will at least sure up the defence and I truly believe he will excel there and has the potential to be a jack wighton type 5/8, it will just take time.

What we do at centre depends on how ready Robbo truly believes Sualli is for first grade. It could be S simple as sualli going straight to 4. Other options are iku to wing and B-Moz to centre or Smith to centre when he returns. Either way there is going to be plenty of youth in this team going forward which was one of the major knocks on us end of last year.

Although without keary we are long odds to win the comp we still have a strong side and need to look no further than both raiders and souths last year made the prelims despite major injuries to hodgson and latrell respectively.

There is no reason that (touch wood) excluding any more major injuries a team by end of season of the below can't be super competitive. I would just urge some patience in the next 6 weeks as it will take time and points may not be easy to come by until the combinations are worked out.

1 teddy
2 tupou
3 J-Moz
4 Sualli/Smith
5 B-Moz
6 Manu
7 Walker
8 Collins
9 Jake/verills
10 SST
11 Cords
12 Angus
13 Radley
14 Verrils/Lam
15 Sitilli
16 Liu
17 JWH

EDIT:

Forgot about Keighran when he is back.

He looked good in round 1 and is an option in the halves as well.

Last edited:
I wrote the year off before the season started. Now, as an Easts supporter, that just means I don’t think we’ll win the comp but I still think we’ll make the finals. That’s the least we can expect. I always thought it was going to be a transition year while Walker got up to speed with the riggers of first grade. @Valheru love your idea of Manu at 6 but what about Hutchison (established half) or is he injured?

I still think Robbo will take his time with Sualli and go with Ikavalu on the wing. He’s never one to make panic selections and will look to field as many experienced heads as possible.

Whatever halves combo we go with, it’ll take time. Just look back at how long it to Teddy, Cronk and Angus to get up to speed in our system.

As for last night, I have no explanation for that performance. It was like they were still spooked from last year’s flogging or the media hype surrounding the game got the better of them. Times like these is where we really miss Cords. Apart from the ill discipline, South’s made mega yards up the middle. We fell off tackles. Our attack was flat and predictable and we looked buggered too. We’re clearly not battle hardened. Already looking forward to seeing how this team progresses throughout the year.

3 Collins
2 Angus
1 Teddy

Valheru

Coach
I wrote the year off before the season started. Now, as an Easts supporter, that just means I don’t think we’ll win the comp but I still think we’ll make the finals. That’s the least we can expect. I always thought it was going to be a transition year while Walker got up to speed with the riggers of first grade. @Valheru love your idea of Manu at 6 but what about Hutchison (established half) or is he injured?

I still think Robbo will take his time with Sualli and go with Ikavalu on the wing. He’s never one to make panic selections and will look to field as many experienced heads as possible.

Whatever halves combo we go with, it’ll take time. Just look back at how long it to Teddy, Cronk and Angus to get up to speed in our system.

As for last night, I have no explanation for that performance. It was like they were still spooked from last year’s flogging or the media hype surrounding the game got the better of them. Times like these is where we really miss Cords. Apart from the ill discipline, South’s made mega yards up the middle. We fell off tackles. Our attack was flat and predictable and we looked buggered too. We’re clearly not battle hardened. Already looking forward to seeing how this team progresses throughout the year.

3 Collins
2 Angus
1 Teddy

I just don't rate Hutchison TBH.

I highly rate Manu as an athlete and believe he can make the transition. I also like the big body at 5/8 and getting him the ball more can only be a good thing. Yes it was late in the game but his deft kick for that last try was super skilful too.

I, like you dont think we will win the comp but do think we will dig in and shut a few of the naysayers up. There is something to be said of youth and a decrease in pressure and expectations.

Last edited:
I just don't rate Hutchison TBH.

I highly rate Manu as an athlete and believe he can make the transition. I also like the big body at 5/8 and getting him the ball more can only be a good thing. Yes it was late in the game but his deft kick for that last try was super skilful too.

I, like you dont think we will win the comp but do think we will dig in and shut a few of the naysayers up. There is something to be said of youth and a decrease in pressure and expectations.

With you on Hutcho but Trent does like to give guys a crack at cementing a first grade spot ie. Lam

Headless Chook

Juniors
I was out last night so I didn’t see the game but was kept updated as the carnage unfolded. I’d find it hard to watch the replay.

From the comments posted here I feel a bit better about what we are likely in for as the season rolls on. It will interesting to see what the side is next week and beyond.

Does Walker come straight in? I think he has to.

I am still trying to recover from Friday night and come to terms with what has happened to Luke. Boy our luck has run out lately. We will still be competitive, but I don't think that we can realistically make the top four now. Somewhere around sixth I believe is the best that we can hope for at this stage.

I think we will need to bring Walker in to partner Manu in the halves. In the short term, Keighran could certainly assist. I rated him in that Round 1 game. I struggle with Hutchison.

I also think we should possibly consider having the Morris brothers together in the centres, with Iku on the other wing. I am not sure we should throw Suaalii in too early, despite the obvious temptation to do so. We need to be careful with him.

In terms of my votes, it is quite difficult this week, but:

3. Teddy
2. Lindsay
1. Angus (but only just)

Valheru

Coach
I was out last night so I didn’t see the game but was kept updated as the carnage unfolded. I’d find it hard to watch the replay.

From the comments posted here I feel a bit better about what we are likely in for as the season rolls on. It will interesting to see what the side is next week and beyond.

Does Walker come straight in? I think he has to.

Yes walker straight in and Robbo has confirmed that.

The bigger mystery is what to do at 6

Valheru

Coach
I am still trying to recover from Friday night and come to terms with what has happened to Luke. Boy our luck has run out lately. We will still be competitive, but I don't think that we can realistically make the top four now. Somewhere around sixth I believe is the best that we can hope for at this stage.

I think we will need to bring Walker in to partner Manu in the halves. In the short term, Keighran could certainly assist. I rated him in that Round 1 game. I struggle with Hutchison.

I also think we should possibly consider having the Morris brothers together in the centres, with Iku on the other wing. I am not sure we should throw Suaalii in too early, despite the obvious temptation to do so. We need to be careful with him.

In terms of my votes, it is quite difficult this week, but:

3. Teddy
2. Lindsay
1. Angus (but only just)

Not sure i agree with the bolded part in the event keary is the only long term injury.

He may well be the difference between winning the comp and not but I don't think he is the difference between making top 4 or not.

The team is still littered with rep players and top 4 is still realistic IMO. We do need to avoid any more long term injuries and it will also depend on how long it takes the new halves to find their feet. Those first 2 big wins look mighty important now.

Not sure i agree with the bolded part in the event keary is the only long term injury.

He may well be the difference between winning the comp and not but I don't think he is the difference between making top 4 or not.

The team is still littered with rep players and top 4 is still realistic IMO. We do need to avoid any more long term injuries and it will also depend on how long it takes the new halves to find their feet. Those first 2 big wins look mighty important now.
Geez I hope you are right @Valheru! I sincerely want us to finish up in the top four, of course. I am just concerned that our halves weakness might mean that it is a bridge too far this season, that's all. There will be nobody happier than me if such a finish can come about, let alone if we can go any further.

I agree about the first two wins, and contrast this to our position last season, being 0-2 before the COVID stoppage.

We are the mighty Roosters, and we have (what I believe to be) the master coach on our side. If anyone can pull a 'rabbit out of the hat', Robbo can. We seem to be quite exposed to injuries - surely our luck has to turn again soon - we have had an incredibly bad run over the past 12 to 18 months.

Fingers crossed, and I wait with eagerness to see how we go.

Last edited:

jiorl

Juniors
Yes walker straight in and Robbo has confirmed that.

The bigger mystery is what to do at 6
It’s going to be Hutch, no question. He’s an established half, why risk putting one of the best centres in the game there when we have someone with halves experience. Plus Robbo really seems to trust Hutch. He isn’t as bad as people say he is, hopefully he’ll shoe-in well

jiorl

Juniors
If Keighran wasn’t injured he’d be walkers partner with Hutch possibly a bench utility

It’s going to be Hutch, no question. He’s an established half, why risk putting one of the best centres in the game there when we have someone with halves experience. Plus Robbo really seems to trust Hutch. He isn’t as bad as people say he is, hopefully he’ll shoe-in well

Yep. If Manu was moved to five eight it would mean either:

1. Bringing up Suaalii to play right centre; or
  2. Moving Brett Morris from right wing to centre and bringing up Ikuvalu to play on the right wing.
I think Suaalii needs a bit more time in NSW cup, whilst Brett Morris' defensive reads at centre can at times be a bit spotty. To me this would be weakening one area of strength to try and shore up another.

Good points guys. I was thinking more along the lines of Captain's second option above, but he makes a valid point about B Moz's defence. If we go with Hutchison at 6, I think, in time, Keighran will join Walker, as I am not convinced that Hutch is quite good enough to remain in the starting side for the remainder of the season. Perhaps this is his opportunity.

Sam Verrills will hold down 9 until Lam recovers but, even then, I am not sure Lam is good enough to reclaim the position. Jake will eventually be ready to return, so that contest will be interesting too. I am looking forward to Victor returning on Sunday, presumably starting straight back in at lock.

What do you guys think about:

-- The front row: Would it be SST and JWH starting, with Radley at lock and Isaac on the bench, or SST and Isaac starting, with JWH remaining on the bench? I am leaning towards the latter.

-- Halves: What do we make of the speculation around either James Maloney or Gareth Widdop coming back to help us out? I think it is unlikely, but I would be happy if something transpired. Maloney is older, but less injury prone, and would come at a higher price tag than Widdop. We would have to let someone go to make way for this. Who would that be? Ikuvalu for example? I would not want to lose him, for the sake of a short term fix. I suspect we will do nothing in the end and push on as is.

Latest posts