What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Cut Eddie Paea

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001023,00.html

BOOM South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow has been given a boost in his quest to become the NRL club's long-term No.7 with the Rabbitohs withdrawing an offer to main rival Eddie Paea.

Nineteen-year-old Sandow's rise to the top grade has coincided with Souths' run of three straight wins after their first 11 games this season had brought just one victory.

The Gold Coast discard has also slotted crucial field goals in two of those matches, including a cool 80th minute one-pointer on Saturday night to snare a remarkable 29-28 comeback win over North Queensland.

Highly rated Paea, 20, was considered the Rabbitohs' long-term halfback as the season began and had four games in first grade earlier this year.

"They made an offer earlier in the piece and withdrew it not long after that," Paea's manager, Sam Ayoub, said today.

"They've shown a reluctance to take it any further so we're just naturally assuming that their interest isn't there."

Ayoub said Souths had pulled out before the meteoric rise of Sandow, who was cut loose by the Titans last year after a series of off-field issues.

The manager said he was speaking with other NRL clubs about a deal for Paea.

"We're talking to two clubs, they're showing some good, genuine interest," he said.

"(We're looking) in the NRL at the moment but there certainly would be no shortage of interest overseas in him, that's for sure."

Ayoub refused to name the interested clubs but added some intrigue by saying: "They're both reasonably delicate given the players that they have."

Reports have suggested the New Zealand Warriors are in the market for a half and Paea has a connection there after touring with the Kiwis Test squad.

Penrith are also depleted in the halves department with utility Luke Lewis currently wearing the No.7 jersey.

Souths coach Jason Taylor has used seven halfbacks so far this season after gun off-season buy Craig Wing was injured in round one.

Wing returned on Saturday night at five-eighth.

Sandow's promotion has been part of an overhaul of the Rabbitohs after their woeful start to the season, with veterans Nigel Vagana, Shannon Hegarty, Dean Widders and Jeremy Smith finding themselves on the outer.

Souths have also released half Ben Rogers to St George Illawarra.

Forward David Kidwell said Sandow had made a big difference to the side.

"His kicking game and just the way he plays the game, it's been great for the team," Kidwell said.

"Confidence is something that Chris Sandow doesn't lack, that's for sure. He's a cheeky wee bugger but that's part of his make-up and that's how he plays his football and it's been great for us."

The Rabbitohs will shoot for four straight wins when they take on the Bulldogs, who have lost seven of their last eight games, on Monday night at ANZ Stadium.

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson did not return AAP's call today.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Skinner

Coach
mmmmmmmmmH......just to be different.

This young fella is our future Kiwi number 7, regardless of who picks him up.

Blaze

Juniors
I've actually been very underwhelmed with what I have seen of him...

Not convinced he will make it at NRL level

hitman82

Bench
Johns made him look like a fool when they played each other in the NYC. I haven't seen enough from Paea to say he'd be worth signing as anything other than depth. You certainly wouldn't give him a starting spot ahead of any of our current (admittedly mediocre) options.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Johns made him look like a fool when they played each other in the NYC. I haven't seen enough from Paea to say he'd be worth signing as anything other than depth. You certainly wouldn't give him a starting spot ahead of any of our current (admittedly mediocre) options.
Eddie Paea sh*tts over Isaac Johns – Isaac last name is the only thing going for him. Look who johns had in the forward pack. All Paea has got is Pettybourne.

Paea drew the short straw in Souths shambled coaching and season start. They were losing everyweek changing the halves numerous times. Each time the team got worse. Taylor was trying to shift the blame.

Paea has been groomed for NRL. Warriors should take advantage of this. Johns is not ready for NRL – put him in PL next year, still gives him a chance.

NSW and Aussie selectors were pissed when he alligned himself to Junior Kiwis last year. They even tried to tell him that he would have a good chance of getting a NSW senior jersey within a 3 or 4 years.

It really is a no brainer. You don’t have to promise this guy first crak a’ la Joel Moon and J.Hart. Sign him to top 25 contract. Get him in there give him a chance in trials and see how he goes.

Some of you’s were bagging me for baggin Matty Head – after watching Warriors playing the tigers you have to agree with me.

Matty Head is not fully fit nor fully confident – he would a massive risk. Never takes the line on, cant tackle for sh*t and does dominate enough.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Eddie Paea sh*tts over Isaac Johns – Isaac last name is the only thing going for him. Look who johns had in the forward pack. All Paea has got is Pettybourne.

Paea drew the short straw in Souths shambled coaching and season start. They were losing everyweek changing the halves numerous times. Each time the team got worse. Taylor was trying to shift the blame.

Paea has been groomed for NRL. Warriors should take advantage of this. Johns is not ready for NRL – put him in PL next year, still gives him a chance.

NSW and Aussie selectors were pissed when he alligned himself to Junior Kiwis last year. They even tried to tell him that he would have a good chance of getting a NSW senior jersey within a 3 or 4 years.

It really is a no brainer. You don’t have to promise this guy first crak a’ la Joel Moon and J.Hart. Sign him to top 25 contract. Get him in there give him a chance in trials and see how he goes.

Some of you’s were bagging me for baggin Matty Head – after watching Warriors playing the tigers you have to agree with me.

Matty Head is not fully fit nor fully confident – he would a massive risk. Never takes the line on, cant tackle for sh*t and does dominate enough.

While I agree on your assessment of Paea and believe the Warriors should sign him, I find it interesting that you excuse Paea for inadequate performances this year behind a beaten pack and yet say that everyone would have to agree with you condemning Head based on the Warriors V Tigers game where Head was behind a badly beaten pack.

kuwaiti kev

Juniors
Paea is streets ahead of Isaac John at this stage, any half back would look good operating behind AhMau, Packer, Purcell, Poching, Matulino, Fai etc.
His speed would be an awesome addition to the warriors side and would offer something different to Fein, Rovelli, Witt who are never going to be regarded as a danger by opposition.
Buy Him Now!!!!!!!

hitman82

Bench

I agree with you there, though as stated before Head was behind a well-beaten pack, and his kicking game still looked very accurate. Solomona etc did very well to defuse his corner bombs and there were a couple of field kicks which didn't look far off 40/20s.

That's exactly what we are missing in our halves - a decent attacking organiser.
We have loads of strong ball runners and players with good footwork.

I'm not against signing Paea on a 1-year contract with optional extension in our favour. I just don't see him as any kind of instant saviour, and believe that in current form a Head or similar would give us much more at 7.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
While I agree on your assessment of Paea and believe the Warriors should sign him, I find it interesting that you excuse Paea for inadequate performances this year behind a beaten pack and yet say that everyone would have to agree with you condemning Head based on the Warriors V Tigers game where Head was behind a badly beaten pack.
I condemning based on the majority of the performance this year – bar his first and second game. While the tigers don’t have the most rated pack in the comp – when galloway and payten come back – they’ll not too bad pack of forwards.

Im referring to the Warriors game because perhaps some guys would have actually watched it. Vs brisbane tigers pack despite major injuries went fine – head went M.I.A. Head should be the controlling the tigers he is not – while people are bagging benji he shouldn’t be the one getting the ball all the time.

He cant tackles and doesn’t run at the line – doesn’t matter if he had the roosters forward pack – that aint going to change.

As for Paea he needs an opporunity to develop and an opportunity to take over a team. Excuse Paea – he never had a chance against a team going so sh*t.
Matt head has been playing ever since he has come back from injury – Paea got a few games before he dropped to improve his kicking game for a nuffies like Smith, Widders, Rogers who have a no kicking game.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors

Its a no brainer tho...
Paea - young, injury free, nrl groomed, cheapish, good alround skills
Head - older, injury prone, poor defender (dont get me wrong, he is a pretty good player)
But if i was the recruit guy aka John Hart i would go for Paea
A no brainer