What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths dump Galuvao to QLD Cup

yobbo84

Coach
innsaneink said:
Its not life for everyone else, hes being forced to move interstate, forced to reside in some dumpy motel and eat meals in a club when they could just leave him in PL....that is f**kin low....Souths agreed to the terms originally, now thyere moving the posts to suit themselves.

Joe signed a contract. He is bound to it's terms. If you sign a contract with an employer that states there may be some interstate work, don't complain when it's time to get going. He is not being forced to do anything. If he doesn't like it, he can quit his job like anybody else could. But he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

The fact of the matter is, if Joe was playing anything resembling good football, he'd be in first grade. He's not, therefore he must suffer the consequences.

As Junior Bunny said, Business is Business.

yobbo84

Coach
Ice777 said:
I knew there'd be at least one deluded Souths supporter coming out in defence of the club no matter how disgraceful the player has been treated. Not surprising at all really and dare i say typical of late :roll:

How is it any different to Steve Turner running around in QLD Cup when he wasn't good enough for First Grade?

RainMan

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
Joe signed a contract. He is bound to it's terms. If you sign a contract with an employer that states there may be some interstate work, don't complain when it's time to get going.

Is that what it states in his contract?

Once Dead

Bench
yobbo84 said:
The club has done nothing wrong IMO. They are paying him $350,000 a year to do a job that he has done very poorly for a year and a half now. As his employer that have the right to tell him what work he has to do. The club has offered him a multitude of options that would be beneficial to all, but he has refused them all. Therefore, he has chosen to stay as an employee of the club, and therefore must do as his bosses tell him. Quite simple really.

That's exactly right......he has NOT performed to expectations and that does not warrant the money he is being paid. I'm sure everyone here has had to do something in their careers that they had no control over and didn't want to do but had to do because their employer decided so......by the way, it would be interesting if he was included in the PL salary cap since he's played so much PL. Furthermore, if he isn't a long term option then he is effectively taking up a position that could be given to an up and coming player.......you can't have someone who ISN'T in your plans languishing in a perfectly good position when other people are dying to get that position......

I will admit, they probably could put him in some local club footy in NSW instead.

The scary thing is that this drama has not inspired him to play good enough to MAKE the coach pick him in the firsts.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Junior Bunny said:
Business is business.

Booting Souths out of the League was a business decision.

News Ltd gave you an option of going and supporting another club or sport.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Southernsaint said:

Yep no room for emotion at news ltd. No doubt Yahoo and JB accepted souths getting the chop as just another hard nosed business decision. :roll:

Ice777

Bench
yobbo84 said:
How is it any different to Steve Turner running around in QLD Cup when he wasn't good enough for First Grade?

Because that's the FIRST place we send our players as that's our main feeder team and to compare the two situations is utterly ridiculous. BTW he wasn't because he wasn't good enough, he was coming back from injury so he had to get some match fitness before they put him back in first grade ;-)

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
After giving this more thought I say...I have no problem with the decision. Management need to make certain decisions in order to move us further towards becoming a premiership winning club. Do we want to be the soft warm and fuzzy good guys who looks after a non performing player, or do we want to become winners?

I for one am sick of losing...

This is a good, tough business decision and a strong warning to other players with poor attitudes, who think they can come to Souths and not put in. Richo made this mess on his own, and now he's fixing it on his own. Finally we've got the balls to deal with a player who's content to take the money and do nothing for it. So Joe, you keep banking those cheques, but we're taking you out of the shop window...so make 'em count big guy, they're going to have to last you.

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Southernsaint said:

Yeah but unfortunately THAT business suffered as a result and the customers were leaving. Also when we won the appeal and then News LTD won the final appeal they DECIDED to keep us...because at the end of the day they know deep down it's better to have a great club like Souths with it's proud and rich history to make up the numbers than a merged team that chokes and a team that has won nothing!

But hey if Souths do get rid of Galuvao and it frees up more money so we can get some more depth I'd be worried if I was another supporter because it shows we've finally gotten our act together.:cool:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jack Off said:
Yeah but unfortunately THAT business suffered as a result and the customers were leaving. Also when we won the appeal and then News LTD won the final appeal they DECIDED to keep us...because at the end of the day they know deep down it's better to have a great club like Souths with it's proud and rich history to make up the numbers than a merged team that chokes and a team that has won nothing!

But hey if Souths do get rid of Galuvao and it frees up more money so we can get some more depth I'd be worried if I was another supporter because it shows we've finally gotten our act together.:cool:

What customers??

smeghead

Bench
Southernsaint said:
We could all march in the streets:

KEEP JOE!!

Combine forces. Start in the City with the Keep Joe rally. Than move down to Carlton for the Oust Doust rally.

Oh and why not lets play the race card. Regardless of form would this treatment have happened if Joe was aboriginal? Would Anthony Mundine have allowed it??