What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths dump Galuvao to QLD Cup

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jack Off said:
Customers...i.e FANS. Loss of fans= loss of merchandise sales, loss of gate takings etc.

Souths fans??

I didn't stop watching footy just because Souths were chopped from the League for a business reason.

Southernsaint

Staff member
smeghead said:
Combine forces. Start in the City with the Keep Joe rally. Than move down to Carlton for the Oust Doust rally.

Oh and why not lets play the race card. Regardless of form would this treatment have happened if Joe was aboriginal? Would Anthony Mundine have allowed it??

"Save The Game: Keep Joe"!!

I prefer "Douse Doust" a la the "necklacing" that goes on in Soweto...

Souths are actually telling Joe to do what Mundine advised - go to Queensland!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Jack Off said:
This is a good, tough business decision and a strong warning to other players with poor attitudes, who think they can come to Souths and not put in. Richo made this mess on his own, and now he's fixing it on his own. Finally we've got the balls to deal with a player who's content to take the money and do nothing for it. So Joe, you keep banking those cheques, but we're taking you out of the shop window...so make 'em count big guy, they're going to have to last you.

Think they can come to Souths??

Souths were the one who sought him out, and agreed a sum of money to play for him for a specified period of time.

If it hasn't worked out as well as they would have hoped, then cest la vie....

It happens when you are dealing with people and not robots....

I think its disgraceful and petty what they are doing to him to try and force him out...

Does anyone know how I can email Joe?

I would like to offer him a message of support to make sure he sticks it out and gets every last dollar he is legally entitled to from these scum bags!!

Junior Bunny

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Booting Souths out of the League was a business decision.

News Ltd gave you an option of going and supporting another club or sport.

Yep and so was St George merging with Illawara. Looks like you've laid down and accepted it. The is the difference between you and I. My team is called the South Sydney Rabbitohs and yours is the St George-Illawara Dragons.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Junior Bunny said:
Yep and so was St George merging with Illawara. Looks like you've laid down and accepted it. The is the difference between you and I. My team is called the South Sydney Rabbitohs and yours is the St George-Illawara Dragons.

The Dragons have nothing to do with the Gulavao issue.

The issue at hand is that Souths, and judging from what has been pposted here, are acting like hypocrites.

Nice attempt to deflect, though.

And to think that the Unions stuck by Souths during their struggle and then the club treats a worker like this.

Hypocrites!! :lol:

smeghead

Bench
Geez with the arrogance of Souths fans you would hope that for their sakes they make the 8. Otherwise it would just prove that even with cashed up owners and high price purchases that they are still the joke of the NRL.

If nothing else this issue proves yet again that Shane Richardson is a lying coward without having the guts to tell a player the truth

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Whilst no one likes to see this kind of thing happen, lets have some perspective. Why is there so much consternation for a player who is not holding up his end of the bargain and playing like a Z-grader.

So it is beneath him to play below Premier League, because he had a few good games more than a year ago? It is not as if he didn't know that his perfomances where shiate, and that this was not potentially going to happen.

Hell, he even said that he expected to play in the Qld Cup next year, all Souths are doing is moving him there for the last two months of the season. I cannot see where it says we are sacking him, and why should a younger player be held back from playing Premier League.

I know guys who work away from their families all week, and only see them on weekends, and they do it all year round. On $350k a year, I am sure he can fly them up on Jetstar every weekend for two months, if he decides to play where he deserves.

lastly, go and put in that kind of performance in your workplace and see how long you would last. With the amount of crocidile tears on this thread, I would assume that your club would be happy to sign him up straight away on his present wages. If so, please let your CEO know that he is available.

taxidriver

Coach
ziggy - why should other clubs take him ?

it was your club who decided to recruit him on a vastly inflated wage.

recruitment does always equate success, that's whta makes it tricky.

your club farked up and is trying to wiggle its way out of it in a fairly despicable manner.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
taxidriver said:
ziggy - why should other clubs take him ?

it was your club who decided to recruit him on a vastly inflated wage.

recruitment does always equate success, that's whta makes it tricky.

your club farked up and is trying to wiggle its way out of it in a fairly despicable manner.

No one is disputing that the club pharked up signing him on such an inflated wage.

If Joe is so righteous as he makes out, he should do what Hannay did and show us all that he is worthy of playing in the Senior side.

yobbo84

Coach
I am still failing to see what is so wrong with what Souths are doing. He is playing like a B-Grade footballer, so he will play B-Grade football. Quite simple really.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ziggy the God said:
No one is disputing that the club pharked up signing him on such an inflated wage.

Great, then how about continuing to pay him his money as agreed with minimum fuss and stop treating him in this manner...

I know guys who work away from their families all week, and only see them on weekends, and they do it all year round. On $350k a year, I am sure he can fly them up on Jetstar every weekend for two months, if he decides to play where he deserves

I know a few too.. these guys knew what they were getting themselves into before they took the job.... I'm sure that Joe would have had an expectation that he would be working in Sydney and would be able to see his family every night...

If Joe is so righteous as he makes out, he should do what Hannay did and show us all that he is worthy of playing in the Senior side.

Lets hope he does make it back to the the top grade, although I would have though that its going to be much harder to keep tabs on how he is going from QLD..:?

Souths took a gamble on Joe and it didnt pay off. $350k was overs for Joe anyway. Admit defeat and come away with some honour.

Pay the bloke out of his contract, stop being such a f*cking disgrace by trying to shove the guy in some roach infested motel, eating meals at the club.

Interesting how Souths have moved away from being the working class heros of the competition to a bunch of pin striped ass pirates.

Can't imagine guys like Vagana, Kidwell and Fa'alogo being too happy with how their mates being treated.

buster bunny

Juniors
Why cant Joe just do the decent thing like Chris Walker and go to the Roosters?

In all seriousness although it is a bit dissapointing that Souths have taken this action I dont think anyone can truly blame them. He has had many opportunities to prove himself worthy of first grade and has failed. He seemed pretty happy to waste souths salary cap playing Premier League so he shouldnt mind doing it at QLD for $350 000. Its not like they're moving him there without payment. If he wants to say he has a right to fulfil his contract and collect his money he should also honour the wishes of his employer. It goes both ways

Simple really!

If he starts playing good Footy he makes Premier League and then 1st grade and everyone is happy.

All of the other clubs do this, when Chris Walker was playing for the Storm he spent more time playing for QLD cup and the Bears who were the feeder club for the Storm at the time, then he did playing for the Storm. In fact the Storm do this quite a bit when a player is not up to standard. Cronulla are also doing something similar. It is the clubs choice to release a player and Souths have asked Joe to look at other employers. He has chosen not to do that so he plays when and where his employer tell him.

Galuvao entered into a contract. Souths would pay him $350k a season and he would play good quality football. This year he has been given a number of shots at first grade and has not played up to standard. Souths also have a responsibility to the young players that they have signed from the Easts Tigers that if they play good footy, they will get a shot to play for the Bears and later the Bunnies. Joe is playing Qld Cup standard so that is where he is going. Some young backrower from Easts gets a run with the bears and a chance to play firsts. The same chance that Joe has had all year and hasn't taken.

Of course, you morons will all jump on South Sydney and say that they have treated him unfairly. Your opinion is yours to share even though it is biased, ill informed and incorrect. I don't think Souths have always made the correct decision and in hindsight paying $350 for Joe is probably one of those incorrect ones, but they have the right to try to correct that if they choose. Just like the Roosters are about to try to do with Nate Myles. If a player doesn't live up to his agreement you release him. If he doesn't want to go then you put him down to Premier League and he see's out his contract there. If he doesn't play up to that standard then you send him to QLD Cup or the Gymea Gorillas or wherever Puletua and Priddis are about to end up. Its quite simple really and $350k will buy him an absolute mansion in QLD so what is the problem?

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
Souths took a gamble on Joe and it didnt pay off. $350k was overs for Joe anyway. Admit defeat and come away with some honour.

Pay the bloke out of his contract, stop being such a f*cking disgrace by trying to shove the guy in some roach infested motel, eating meals at the club.

We're paying him his 350k this year and what we have offered and proposed to him is 250k for next year to leave at the end of this year but he doesn't want that so we are "promoting" him....well quite a few people believe QLD cup is better than PL anyways.

And aren't we admitting defeat by showing the hole rugby league world that we paid overs for a man who isn't good enough to play PL!!!

In the capitalist west as money is everything this player should stick it out and not forgo this money by leaving - If this happened in the Great the Soviet Union which it wouldn't have had as all played for the love of it- the player would be playing for the Siberian tigers after 18 hours hard labour each day UNTIL they voluntarily changed their minds