What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths LU Forum player of the year - 2018

Well considering that Sam played about three of the worst games I've ever seen him play in the last part of the year, I reckon he'll drop off a bit now.

Cam Murray is a big smokey though. He came home like a train.

Curns13

Juniors
Well considering that Sam played about three of the worst games I've ever seen him play in the last part of the year, I reckon he'll drop off a bit now.

Cam Murray is a big smokey though. He came home like a train.
I’m privy to spoilers so I won’t say too much, but in my opinion, Sam had an absolute shocker of a last month. If his last month was as good as rounds 16, 18 and 19, we’d be playing this weekend. And I agree about Cam as well. He was our best player over the last month of our season.

Curns13

Juniors
Good afternoon and welcome to penultimate episode of the 'Souths LU Forum Player of the Year - 2018' Award. We begin round 20 with Sam Burgess having built a considerable lead over Damien Cook, who also has a good lead over Cam Murray and the pack. Can anyone make a move on Sam late in the season?

Round 20 - Rabbitohs 26 v Eels 20
3. Dane Gagai (21 votes)
2. Sam Burgess (10 votes)
1. Campbell Graham (7 votes)

(Honourable Mentions: Cook, Sutton, Jenno, Angus, Murray)

Round 21 - Rabbitohs 30 v Storm 20
3. Damien Cook (35)
2. Sam Burgess (21)
1. Campbell Graham (11)

(HM: George, Murray)

Round 22 - Rabbitohs 14 v Roosters 18
3. Tom Burgess (17)
2. Braidon Burns (13)
1. Cameron Murray (7)

(HM: Walker, Angus)

Round 23 - Broncos 38 v Rabbitohs 18
3. Dane Gagai (20)
2. Jason Clark (8)
1. George Burgess (7)

(HM: Burns, Sam)

Round 24 - Raiders 24 v Rabbitohs 12
3. Greg Inglis (22)
2. Cameron Murray (12)
1. Cody Walker (7)

(HM: Graham, Angus, Gagai, Cook)

Round 25 - Rabbitohs 51 v Tigers 10
3. Greg Inglis (23)
2. George Burgess (23)
1. Cameron Murray (11)

(HM: Cody, Sutto, Cook)

Curns13

Juniors
The completion of the regular season see the points as follows:

1st place - Sam Burgess (24 points)
2nd place - Damien Cook (18 points)
3rd place - Cameron Murray (15 points)

Honourable Mentions:
Inglis (13)
Sutton (10)
Gagai (9)
Reynolds (8)
Walker (8)
Tom (8)
Johnston (7)
George (4)
Crichton (4)
Farah (3)
Jennings (3)
Kennar (2)
Doueihi (2)
Graham (2)
Burns (2)
Clark (2)

Curns13

Juniors
Anyone who had a bet on Cook for the Dally M will wish they saw this count first lol.
I was thinking this as I was tallying the results. There was a lot of hype about him for Dally M but that was never gonna happen.

Curns13

Juniors
Well here we are, the final installment of the 'Souths LU Forum Player of the Year - 2018' Award voting. And what a thrilling 5 days it has been. We head into the final series with Sam Burgess having an almost unassailable 6 point lead. He had a shocking last month, but did he do enough in the early rounds to be considered the year's best? Lets find out.

Finals Week 1 - Storm 29 v Rabbitohs 28
3. Cameron Murray (16 votes)
2. Greg Inglis (12 votes)
1. Adam Reynolds (6 votes)

(Honourable Mentions: Cody)

Finals Week 2 - Rabbitohs 13 v Dragons 12
3. Adam Reynolds (19)
2. Cameron Murray (17)
1. Damien Cook (6)

(HM: Gagai, Tom)

Finals Week 3 - Roosters 12 v Rabbitohs 4
3. Murray (9)
2. Sutto (6)
1. Tom (4)

(HM: GI, Cody, Jenno)

Curns13

Juniors
And there you have it. After 27 games in our beloved cardinal and myrtle, the 'Souths LU Forum Player of the Year - 2018' Award winner is Sam Burgess.

Sam.png

1st place - Sam Burgess (24 points)
2nd place - Cameron Murray (23 points)
3rd place - Damien Cook (19 points)

Honourable Mentions:
Inglis 15
Sutton 12
Reynolds 12
Gagai 9
Tom 9
Walker 8
Johnston 7
George 4
Crichton 4
Farah 3
Jennings 3
Kennar 2
Doueihi 2
Graham 2
Burns 2
Clark 2

Curns13

Juniors
If anyone is wondering why we aren’t playing tomorrow, you can probably start with Sam and Cookie receiving just one vote combined over our last 7 games. When your 2 best players don’t show up when it matters, what chance have you got?

callmack1

Staff member
Love your work Curns, not gonna lie, Murray has had an incredible season but I'm suprised he beat Cook to that second spot.

You're right about Sam and Cook too mate, it hurt us when they didn't fire. I think Sam was really impacted by that elbow injury as well as the 'scandal.'

Curns13

Juniors
Love your work Curns, not gonna lie, Murray has had an incredible season but I'm suprised he beat Cook to that second spot.

You're right about Sam and Cook too mate, it hurt us when they didn't fire. I think Sam was really impacted by that elbow injury as well as the 'scandal.'
Yeah mate, there was definitely an issue with Sam. Leading up to Round 22 he’d been voted either our best or 2nd best 5 weeks in a row. There must be a reason for the drop off. On the other hand, Murray placed in 6 of our last 7 games, a remarkable achievement coming off the bench and in just his 2nd year.

Rabbits20

Immortal

I believe Cookie was carrying quite a few niggles too and as you know bro I have a mate who loves right near him.

Also once the ruck was slowed down too that affected Cookie as did probably the fact he got more tired and burnt out like I mean playing 80mins for the first year every week in first grade plus a gruelling origin campaign had to takes it’s toll eventually. I’ve ni doubts Cookie will work harder than ever in this off season.

His second half performance against Dragons imo was phenomenal and if I would have voted I would have given him the 2 points just behind Murray. Without what Cookie did in that second half against Dragons we wouldn’t have made the prelim.

Latest posts