What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souths playing out of "redfern stadium" in the near future?

nqcowboy87

Bench
i was just wondering with the new deveolpments meaning home games cant be played there i was just wondering down the track if souths casn get their sh*t together and make some money could they help finance with assistance a second development with fencing additions to the grandstand and remoddeling of the playing surface

nqcowboy87

Bench
just wondering anybodys thoughts, cause im a fan of traditionally and tribalry with teams playing in the suburb they represent, and aslo redfern is one of the first grounds i can remember going to to watch souths to train cause it was right down thje reoad from my aunties house in chippendale

reptar

Juniors
It's unlikely that it would be allowed, the transport facilities don't exist to deal with it properly. It's a pity there's no 20000 seat stadium in the area, I think the SFS is too big for normal Souths' games.

reptar

Juniors
They play out of Telstra because they received a very large financial bonus to do so. I personally think it was a mistake, and will probably have this confirmed when I go out there on Saturday night to see them play the Raiders.

nqboy

First Grade
And no, Souths will not be playing any games at Redfern. Training, administration and so on, but no games.

Makes you wonder though. With the ground open to public use, discarded syringes, glass and metal fragments might pose a hazard to the players. I wonder what their plan is for that?

Dogs Of War

Coach
He wanted a grandstand that could accommodate at least 12,000 spectators, but Cr Moore's vision of a training facility combined with community parklands prevailed. Under the plans drawn up by architects Bligh Voller Nield, the new stand will accommodate 1500 people with a further 3500 able to sit on the grassed terraces that surround the playing field.

Thats from the SMH. So I really doubt they will be able to play any games there other than the odd trial.

cainen

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
Thats from the SMH. So I really doubt they will be able to play any games there other than the odd trial.

Then the last paragraph of that article says

One of Souths owners, Peter Holmes a Court, said the Rabbitohs, who played first-grade matches there between 1948 and 1996, would be proud to call the new Redfern Park their home and training ground. The draft plans for Redfern Park will be presented to a Souths board meeting tomorrow, before going to the council's environment and heritage committee on Monday.

If it's their home ground would that mean they play home games there?

How long was the deal with Telstra for?

nqcowboy87

Bench
Makes you wonder though. With the ground open to public use, discarded syringes, glass and metal fragments might pose a hazard to the players. I wonder what their plan is for that?
apparently that was one of the problems they had at erskinneville oval at the start of their stay their

He wanted a grandstand that could accommodate at least 12,000 spectators, but Cr Moore's vision of a training facility combined with community parklands prevailed. Under the plans drawn up by architects Bligh Voller Nield, the new stand will accommodate 1500 people with a further 3500 able to sit on the grassed terraces that surround the playing field.
well im just saying when they are finacially stable and their crowds are up maybe they could add a couple of hundred seats to the grandstand plus some corporate facilitiesz and a proper fence and bingo

yobbo84

Coach
Souths will never again play at Redfern Oval. It's just not practical. Besides, if we ever get our sh*t together, and all the bloody bandwagoners jump on board, a 20,000 seat stadium wouldn't be enough!

Paullyboy

Coach
reptar said:
They play out of Telstra because they received a very large financial bonus to do so. I personally think it was a mistake, and will probably have this confirmed when I go out there on Saturday night to see them play the Raiders.

You're dead right, if there's more than 3000 people there it will be a good result all things being considered.

The rabbits and Telstra are a joke, so it'd be fitting that they are together if it didnt make rugby league look bad.

Hindyscrack

Bench
reptar said:
It's unlikely that it would be allowed, the transport facilities don't exist to deal with it properly. It's a pity there's no 20000 seat stadium in the area, I think the SFS is too big for normal Souths' games.

There is no such thing as a stadium too big... Only too Small

Look at the Tigers v Eels on Sunday

over 21K

This could not have been acheived at either teams traditional home ground... You may only fill a big stadium once in a blue moon, but it certainly helps grow your crowd figures

humpy

Juniors
Then the last paragraph of that article says

Quote:
One of Souths owners, Peter Holmes a Court, said the Rabbitohs, who played first-grade matches there between 1948 and 1996, would be proud to call the new Redfern Park their home and training ground. The draft plans for Redfern Park will be presented to a Souths board meeting tomorrow, before going to the council's environment and heritage committee on Monday.

If it's their home ground would that mean they play home games there?

How long was the deal with Telstra for?

Unless I am reading this wrong, it says the ground will be their home (as in headquarters) and training ground. Does not say HOME GROUND.

cainen

Juniors
humpy said:
Unless I am reading this wrong, it says the ground will be their home (as in headquarters) and training ground. Does not say HOME GROUND.

I'm not saying this is wrong but it wouldn't be good english if it read "home ground and training ground"

"Home and training ground" implies home ground and training ground.

It's an ambiguous statement.

Dogs Of War

Coach
cainen said:
I'm not saying this is wrong but it wouldn't be good english if it read "home ground and training ground"

"Home and training ground" implies home ground and training ground.

It's an ambiguous statement.

Well if they are expecting more crowds similar to what they got against the warriors, then go ahead and play at redfern. But I really hope a NRL team wants more than 3500 to attend their games.

Timbo

Staff member
It was going to cost 60 million dollars to bring it to NRL standard.

With the SFS so close and schools and hospitals in such a poor state, it'd be political suicide for any government to do it.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
Oh man, this would be the most dangerous away game of the comp. I hope they stay as far away from the place as possible. Really. Imagine a night game and having to catch a train from Redfern station. :crazy:

humpy

Juniors
The NRL has said on numerous occasions that it definitely will not be happening, Sydney City council has said on numerous occasions that it definitely will not be happening, and the only person that continues to spruik this genius idea is George Piggins who still thinks we are living in the 70's when Souths could actually win a game, and people were prepared to go to redfern to watch football.

In the real world, no opposition spectator in his right mind would venture into redfern, park their car (or catch a train) and watch a game in sub standard facilities. Unless RHAC is prepared to spend 50 million of his own money, miraculously find somewhere for a car park, and get elected lord mayor of Sydney this is NEVER going to happen.