What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths should feel hard done by - that was disgraceful officiating!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Ok, from the get-go, I want to make it perfectly clear, that I am not taking or having a go at the Broncos. They won, good on them. However, the Bunnies have every right to feel upset after the officiating last night. For some reason, the ref thought that on the 5th tackle, the Bunnies racked the ball out (why they would even consider doing something on the 5th is beyond me) and they get penalised... and the replayed clearly shows they got penalised for the Broncos trying to pass the ball back. They couldn't hold the next defensive set when instead they should've had the ball, and a try was scored.

Then, the Broncos score another try off what appears to be 2 forward sin a row. It was clear as daylight yet the officials missed both forward passes. There might be some discrepancies about whether or not the 2nd pass leading to the try was forward, but the first one certainly was.

Not taking anything away from the Broncos, but the Bunnies have every right to feel hard done by, and it's time for the NRL to take action and those refs should be held accountable in what was a closer game than the final score reveals.

In case you can't tell, this is coming from a mutual source - I support neither team!

bluey

Bench
The ponies always get the tub of the green, it may change one day when they realize their is more teams around

azza18

Juniors
lol, love it how the OP ignores the fact that luke made about 100 foward passes out of dummy half and werent spotted by the refs, nor the knock on in goal by souths that most people saw. There were crap calls all round, not just to brisbane.

Cliffhanger

Coach
The op is an idiot, what did you expect? A fair appraisal of last's nights match and and the initiation of a thought provoking discussion?

Its typical of the Broncos though, they always get a leg up with everything, such as:

• Get nearly every Friday night game.
  • More sponsors because of having nearly every Friday night game.
  • Greater finances than every other club because of those sponsors.
  • They don't have to compete for the corporate dollar with other teams in Brisbane because they're the only NRL team.
  • Better turn arounds because they know they're playing on Fridays every week.
  • Whole city to themselves.
  • Refs give them favourable calls.

Souths aren't the only team who should feel hard done by, the whole rugby league community should.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Would hate to be the team that has to face Brisbane at home in the finals. If the regular season is anything to go by they are going to get raped by the men in pink and I don't mean the Broncos.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Agreed. I'm not saying we'd have won if refs called it down the middle but at least we would have had a chance.

wibble

Bench
Ok, from the get-go, I want to make it perfectly clear, that I am not taking or having a go at the Broncos. They won, good on them. However, the Bunnies have every right to feel upset after the officiating last night. For some reason, the ref thought that on the 5th tackle, the Bunnies racked the ball out (why they would even consider doing something on the 5th is beyond me) and they get penalised... and the replayed clearly shows they got penalised for the Broncos trying to pass the ball back. They couldn't hold the next defensive set when instead they should've had the ball, and a try was scored.

Then, the Broncos score another try off what appears to be 2 forward sin a row. It was clear as daylight yet the officials missed both forward passes. There might be some discrepancies about whether or not the 2nd pass leading to the try was forward, but the first one certainly was.

Not taking anything away from the Broncos, but the Bunnies have every right to feel hard done by, and it's time for the NRL to take action and those refs should be held accountable in what was a closer game than the final score reveals.

In case you can't tell, this is coming from a mutual source - I support neither team!

I did think Souths had some rough calls and unlucky bounces, and the score didn't really reflect the result. But they butchered a try and gave one to the Broncos, so that's 12 points they had in their own control that they let slip. That game showed that even if you're hanging in for 60 minutes vs the Broncos, if you give up 12 points against them you could get smacked, even when you don't deserve it.

A similar call went to the Dragons vs the Titans in the build up to the Dragons first try (late strip penalty on the line when the Titans had no need to strip and the Dragons were trying to keep it alive). It again just highlights the absurdity of the strip ball rule, which has contributed nothing but controversy and inconsistency to the NRL, rewards poor play, decides the result of matches (it is especially bad in extra time) on the flip of a coin, and was introduced to "solve" a problem that didn't exist.

I suspect now with tackles taking so long and players being surrounded and held upright by 3 to 4 tacklers that stripping could become a blight if the stripping rule is removed completely, but even then it is probably better to have no rule than the farce we have now. But maybe a modified "only penalise blatant two handed reefing of the ball" rule should be introduced.

Meh. The amount of ball we dropped last night cost us more than anything else. Refs made some lousy calls that led to a couple of tries, but the Broncos won by more than a couple of tries so it makes no difference. We lacked size and go forward last night as well. Defence was great but we couldn't get out of our own half even when we didn't drop the ball.

We'll improve in that department when we get the likes of Burgess, Asotasi and Pettybourne back.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Would hate to be the team that has to face Brisbane at home in the finals. If the regular season is anything to go by they are going to get raped by the men in pink and I don't mean the Broncos.
Let's pretend you're referring to Brisbane for a second. After origin I on the Friday night, Brisbane got absolutely torn to shreds by Melbourne. They are simply the team to beat this year!

LazyDreamer

Bench
lol, love it how the OP ignores the fact that luke made about 100 foward passes out of dummy half and werent spotted by the refs, nor the knock on in goal by souths that most people saw. There were crap calls all round, not just to brisbane.

What utter crap!

It was more like 150...

That strip penalty once again showed that Ref's have a very poor grasp on the mentality of the game. Last tackle of a set on the line and the ball carrier has a run instead of a kick. If he gets caught the only thing on his mind is to promote the ball. Likewise the tackler just wants to wrap the ball up. Of course the tacklers hands will be around the ball. They are desperate to wrap it up.

I can see why the ref may have thought it was a strip but really, somehow these Refs need to think about the circumstances during the game before they blow the whistle sometimes.

JW

Coach
Tremendous butthurt.

Some of the calls were bizzare, but I think some people need to revisit the contest between these two teams earlier this year and observe the irony in their rants.

It's just how footy rolls. Get on with it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Souffs had a few decisions go against them but the better team won. End of story.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That strip penalty once again showed that Ref's have a very poor grasp on the mentality of the game. Last tackle of a set on the line and the ball carrier has a run instead of a kick. If he gets caught the only thing on his mind is to promote the ball. Likewise the tackler just wants to wrap the ball up. Of course the tacklers hands will be around the ball. They are desperate to wrap it up.

I can see why the ref may have thought it was a strip but really, somehow these Refs need to think about the circumstances during the game before they blow the whistle sometimes.
It's as simple as them blowing the whistle to what they see. They didn't see the strip because there wasn't one to begin with, so on what grounds are they basing that penalty? Because they 'think' that a strip occurred? Not good officiating.