What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths sign up for more games in Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully they won't be needed after 2012 and the only games they come to Perth for are games against the WA Reds!

South Sydney Rabbitohs to play at least one game per season in Perth at nib Stadium for next three seasons
• South Sydney, WARL and nib Stadium launch June’s match against Brisbane Broncos on Friday 24 June
• Tickets on sale today through Ticketmaster
The South Sydney Rabbitohs, Western Australian Rugby League and nib Stadium have today announced that South Sydney will play up to two games per season at nib Stadium in Perth, Western Australia for the next three seasons.
The Rabbitohs have played a premiership home game in Perth for the last two years and today launched its 2011 NRL match against competition heavyweights the Brisbane Broncos, a match to be played on Friday 24 June 2011.
The Rabbitohs will play at least one game per year in Perth in seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014 with an option to play a further game at nib Stadium in WA each season.
South Sydney Rabbitohs forwards coach, Fox Sports commentator, former Broncos premiership winning captain, former Australian and Queensland captain Gorden Tallis was joined by South Sydney Rabbitohs captain and New Zealand international Roy Asotasi, WARL CEO John Sackson and nib Stadium CEO Peter Bauchop to launch June’s match between two of the greatest Rugby League Clubs in the world, with tickets for the game going on sale to the general public today through Ticketmaster.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said the Rabbitohs are committed to helping spread the game of Rugby League in WA.
"We’re very excited to be coming back to Perth for the next three seasons and we thank the NRL, WARL and nib Stadium for their support of this concept," Mr Richardson said.
"WA has become a very important market for not only South Sydney, but also the NRL.
"It’s really important to show how serious the people of Perth and WA are about getting their own team back in the NRL and that they show that by coming to this game in June."
South Sydney will take on Brisbane in the competition’s showpiece timeslot, Friday Night Football, on Friday 24 June at 7pm WST, in the only NRL game to be played in Perth this year. This enables Western Australian sports fans to come and watch elite Rugby League live, as well as have the game broadcast back into the eastern states at 9:30pm EST on the Nine Network.
South Sydney will be looking for back-to-back victories in Perth having defeated the Melbourne Storm 16 points to 14 at nib Stadium last June.
The South Sydney Rabbitohs, who are majority owned by Academy Award winning actor Russell Crowe and businessman Peter Holmes à Court, take on the Broncos at the premier West Australian rectangular Stadium, nib Stadium. nib Stadium is the perfect venue for the Rabbitohs vs Broncos match.
This year’s match will be presented by Deppro, one of Australia’s leading tax depreciation experts.
South Sydney’s playing squad features many international, State of Origin and All Stars players including Roy Asotasi (New Zealand), Greg Inglis (Australia, Queensland), Sam Burgess (England, NRL All Stars), Issac Luke (New Zealand), Michael Crocker (Australia, Queensland), David Taylor (Queensland, NRL All Stars), Nathan Merritt (Indigenous All Stars), Ben Ross (Queensland) and Rhys Wesser (Queensland).
Brisbane’s squad includes one of the sport’s greatest players of all time in his final season of Rugby League in Darren Lockyer (Australia, Queensland, NRL All Stars) plus fellow representative players Justin Hodges (Australia, Queensland), Sam Thaiday (Australia, Queensland), Ben Hannant (Australia, Queensland), Dane Carlaw (Australia, Queensland), Jharal Yow Yeh (Australia), Gerard Beale (New Zealand), Corey Parker (Queensland) and Peter Wallace (New South Wales).
"The Broncos have lead the competition since the early rounds this year on the back of their defence and we have some of the game’s most exciting attacking players so this game will showcase the best aspects of the sport of Rugby League," Tallis said.
"These two Clubs are the two highest profile Clubs in the sport with some of the highest profile players in their squads.
"This game is being played right in the middle of this year’s State of Origin series, so the players will be going all out to earn selection for either Queensland or New South Wales.
"It will be a fantastic game and we encourage every sports lover in WA to come to this game and show the NRL that you want your own team in the elite competition when the game expands in coming seasons."
WARL CEO John Sackson says this is the perfect opportunity for Western Australian sports fans to show they want their own team in the National Rugby League competition.
"Perth is positioned very favourably in terms of future NRL expansion," Mr Sackson said.
"It is important that all supporters of elite sport, not just League fans, vote with their feet and attend this game.
"They will not only experience a magnificent showcase for the code, but will also be enhancing WA’s chances of securing re-entry into the NRL."
nib Stadium CEO Peter Bauchop said: "We are tremendously excited with the agreement that ensures National Rugby League is a confirmed fixture at nib Stadium for the next three years.
"The South Sydney Rabbitohs are not only an extremely professional outfit, but an absolute iconic Australian sporting team.
"Last season’s fixture was an incredible success, and early indications are even stronger for this year.
"We believe this event will set the best possible platform and endorsement for the Perth NRL bid."
Tickets for the match are available through Ticketmaster by calling 136 100, online at www.ticketmaster.com.au or by visiting any Ticketmaster outlet.

BDGS

Bench
Hopefully they won't be needed after 2012 and the only games they come to Perth for are games against the WA Reds!

Or they could play the Reds twice every season, both games in Perth and the Perth Public will get 13 games each regular season instead of 12?

BDGS

Bench
Aww that sucks. Does that show that the rabbitohs are about NRL expansion and helping that out or show that they think it won't work having a game there if WA come in?

Got a link?

I believe the WA Govt and a number of mining and industry money men are paying $$$ for Souths to play in Perth. I also think Rusty as an owner is much more a thinking RL man in terms of how the future of the game looks. It's good for the NRL as well to get games there.

Whilst I love the fact expansion is back on the table and Perth Reds are a realistic chance of making it, as a Souths member and season ticket holder, have to say, whilst I like the whole 'let's expand the game' I don't like losing one (and now two) games to Perth every year. Maybe for the next couple until the Reds get in. On the other hand, we do get the Bulldogs and Tigers games AND the Charity Shield included in the member ticket now, so we are compensated.

That said, once the Reds get in, you'll still get the Buns once a year. I bought the Reds jersey and expansion 2013 t-shirt and really do hope you get in, along with the CC Bears and/or Central Qld Wranglers.

dimitri

First Grade
I believe the WA Govt and a number of mining and industry money men are paying $$$ for Souths to play in Perth. I also think Rusty as an owner is much more a thinking RL man in terms of how the future of the game looks. It's good for the NRL as well to get games there.

Whilst I love the fact expansion is back on the table and Perth Reds are a realistic chance of making it, as a Souths member and season ticket holder, have to say, whilst I like the whole 'let's expand the game' I don't like losing one (and now two) games to Perth every year. Maybe for the next couple until the Reds get in. On the other hand, we do get the Bulldogs and Tigers games AND the Charity Shield included in the member ticket now, so we are compensated.

That said, once the Reds get in, you'll still get the Buns once a year. I bought the Reds jersey and expansion 2013 t-shirt and really do hope you get in, along with the CC Bears and/or Central Qld Wranglers.

just correcting you

its the bulldogs and the EELS (not tigers) matches you receive as a bonus in your membership

Tigers dont play any home games at ANZ any more. Eels play 2 (one against you and one against dogs)

GO WA REDS

Good pick up. Apologies for that. Eels and Tigers it is. LOL. I still don't think Souths should be playing ANY games in Perth but I guess Rusty needs the $$$.

Have been doing a lot of sniffing around Facebook and Official Bid Websites. The bids from CC Bears,
Central Qld and Brisbane 2 look very competitive. There is compelling cases for all four bids, and that's not to discount PNG (which I very much doubt will happen) and a 2nd NZ side.

I could see the NRL shoring up Eastern Seaboard first and then coming back to Perth say in 2020. But I would see the advantages of a new RL market and different time zone with Perth coming in for 2013.

Nuke

Staff member
I am 98% sure WA Reds will be admitted into the 2013 NRL Premiership later this year (soon, one hopes!).
Up until this year, I was about 80% sure CC Bears would be the other team added, but I'm not so sure now with the two Qld bids seemingly getting stronger.

Perth and Central Qld would be my 2 preferable.

Perth:
NEW expansion region
NEW sponsors
NEW fans / RL people to convert
NEW junior base - esp with the SG Ball and all that is going on already
Plus if they played the Perth games every 2nd weekend on Friday night in Perth...then the 7.30pm kick off would be 9.30pm in Sydney/Brisbane and would be LIVE.
Plus if they take a SoO or Test match there, might hook in to the Sth Africans over there and the RU people.

One thing I would like is Australia vs England every end of season in Perth. Reckon that would be a corker.

BDGS

Bench
WA Reds and CC Bears for mine, one expansion team and one team to consolidate our place in NSW and also cover the significant area left in NSW without a team. A team in South East QLD, Central QLD and Adelaide before 2020.

I agree on the positives for the WA Reds so i haven't repeated the previous posts arguments.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth and Central Qld would be my 2 preferable.

Perth:
NEW expansion region
NEW sponsors
NEW fans / RL people to convert
NEW junior base - esp with the SG Ball and all that is going on already
Plus if they played the Perth games every 2nd weekend on Friday night in Perth...then the 7.30pm kick off would be 9.30pm in Sydney/Brisbane and would be LIVE.
Plus if they take a SoO or Test match there, might hook in to the Sth Africans over there and the RU people.

One thing I would like is Australia vs England every end of season in Perth. Reckon that would be a corker.

If the ARL/NRL had any clue they'd be using the new additional Kiwi v Oz test match as a spring board and playing it in Perth in October. But they don;t so they won't.

Nuke

Staff member
I think this year shows a more willingness to spread the Test matches around. Look at the two venues in Australia this year for Tests: Gold Coast and Newcastle. Neither venue can or will entice as many supporters to the game as Brisbane or Sydney given the capacity of the venues, so it's not a financial decision as far as I can see. Newcastle is under no threat whatsoever from any other sport, so it's not entirely a tactical decision to shore up support or fans.

It's a shame that there won't be as many Tests in Australia over the next year or two given the Four Nations in Europe at the end of next season, as, like others have said, these are a great tool to take around the country and promote the game. Melbourne have been getting semi-regular Tests in recent years, Gold Coast and Newcastle have them this year, so they seem to be spreading it beyond Sydney/Brisbane a bit of late. I like it!

The ANZAC Test, I believe, was supposed to be in Christchurch this year, but due to the earthquake was shifted to GC late in the piece. I could stand corrected.

Nuke

Staff member
That is very true, but the fact that they chose Gold Coast to host it instead of Sydney or Brisbane is my point. Perhaps those stadiums were already booked out so their hands were forced, I don't know. I'd like to think they were beginning to spread the Tests around a little bit.

Sydney got PNG vs Australia at Para Stadium last year. Unfortunately, Sydney people just don't go to games as they should. And some teams fans just don't travel (for many legit reasons, I hasten to add) but... If giving Newcastle or Gold Coast a test encourages other regions to bid for Tests and fill the ground, by all means, good for the game.

BDGS

Bench
That is very true, but the fact that they chose Gold Coast to host it instead of Sydney or Brisbane is my point. Perhaps those stadiums were already booked out so their hands were forced, I don't know. I'd like to think they were beginning to spread the Tests around a little bit.

The NZRL requested the game to be held on the Gold Coast and the NRL took the opportunity to do deals with GC and Brisbane games on that weekend.