What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Joins coaching team as kicking coach

Gareth67

First Grade
Tremendous news , tremendous appointment for the team itself . He is the ideal individual to mentor our younger Dragons in the skills of not only goal kicking , but also on general field placement of kicks .

That in itself will take a great load of our forward pack , giving them some respite from the
grinding meter by meter approach of the Mary era .

P.S. if you still have your old head gear , loan it to young Sullivan as I believe that many opposition teams will have a target on him .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Great to hear.. Young enough to be able to understand the current generation of players but old enough not to have also been playing with any of them (I think..)

Should also put to bed that whole avenue that Hook is a bad coach because “Soward said so when he left Penrith”

redv13

Bench
Tremendous news , tremendous appointment for the team itself . He is the ideal individual to mentor our younger Dragons in the skills of not only goal kicking , but also on general field placement of kicks .

That in itself will take a great load of our forward pack , giving them some respite from the
grinding meter by meter approach of the Mary era .

P.S. if you still have your old head gear , loan it to young Sullivan as I believe that many opposition teams will have a target on him .
Love this appointment. Now bring in Coops and Beau Scott too please

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Wonder if this is to improve Hunt’s kicking game or Clune and Ramsey?

Personally feel that Norman’s posses a stronger kicking game than Hunt. Is this a indication Hook wants Hunt at Halfback or is he there to improve Ramsey and Clune...
......just bored... waiting for a forward to get signed...

Inisai Toga

Juniors
No more ex players , enough is enough ..... Soward OK with but no more , we know how all that went .....
Agree, it’s amazing how many wonderful players players struggle in transferring their knowledge and skills to others. Way different skill set required and the Rugby League world still hasn’t caught onto; usually staying with the logic that they were a good player so they “should” know how to coach.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Good appointment.
Needs to teach them some other attacking kicks besides the bomb it and hope method. Also needs to tell them that you don't always need to kick it on the 3rd tackle when you're inside the oppositions 20.
Bring in Cooper, if interested, as a defensive coach for our centres while we're at it.
These old boys knew how to win games of footy.

possm

Coach

Personally feel that Norman’s posses a stronger kicking game than Hunt. Is this a indication Hook wants Hunt at Halfback or is he there to improve Ramsey and Clune...
What a great move by Griffin! I really hope Soward spends time with Dufty as I'm tipping a Sullivan / Dufty halves pairing before the end of 2021.

hazzbeen

Bench
ao
Agree, it’s amazing how many wonderful players players struggle in transferring their knowledge and skills to others. Way different skill set required and the Rugby League world still hasn’t caught onto; usually staying with the logic that they were a good player so they “should” know how to coach.
Yes and the game has changed , since their days on the field .... Maybe a couple of Saints legends floating around in the sheds at games would be a inspiration to the younger players , but not in a coaching capacity ........

Old Timer

Coach

Hopefully the biggest gain out of this is Capt Cam can develop a potent kicking game and return to the 9 jumper where he belongs and go well past the false ceiling created for him by Mc Fookknuckle.

The young guys vying to start in the halves will also learn that a big high kick isn't the only way on the 5th and that low and well placed kicks into the corner will sap the energy out of the opposition.

Hook having a quality assistant / consultant like Sowie will allow him to concentrate on that important job of signing some quality forwards and putting the necessary steel and skill set into those we already have.

A very good decision to bring Sowie in IMHO.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
I am pleased with the new coach and coaching appointments. I do not consider Sowie as kicking and /or halves a jobs for the boys case. I think he is more than qualified unlike what existed under Mc Totally Incompetent .
Hopefully some good players will be signed soon.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No more ex players , enough is enough ..... Soward OK with but no more , we know how all that went .....
I do believe we can and should pick ex players but ones that have delivered and ones that have skills we lack. Our game management and general kicking is our biggest downfall, Soward was the king at it. Matt Cooper could also teach our young backs some defensive techniques, and was an underrated attacker too. There weren’t many overlaps he missed out on. Both delivered a premiership, both did it with skills that can be learned. Gasnier, freak of a player, you can’t teach that stuff but the two mentioned were just master technicians.

hazzbeen

Bench
ylr
I do believe we can and should pick ex players but ones that have delivered and ones that have skills we lack. Our game management and general kicking is our biggest downfall, Soward was the king at it. Matt Cooper could also teach our young backs some defensive techniques, and was an underrated attacker too. There weren’t many overlaps he missed out on. Both delivered a premiership, both did it with skills that can be learned. Gasnier, freak of a player, you can’t teach that stuff but the two mentioned were just master technicians.
I do understand and they could turn out ok , but way too early for me with ex players ..... Just my thought .....

Latest posts