What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward out for 6 weeks

franklin2323

Immortal
Soward reported to be out for 6 weeks with a back injury. Time for Moylan in 6 & DWZ at fullback? I think that's the best option

Dufmack

Juniors
I'd be very suprised if they put moylan at 6 but I wouldn't be against it. Isaac John is the right choice, bloody hope sowie is ok though for the chooks game.

CCPanther

Juniors
Found it. Can't post a link either though cause I'm new here.

Surgery related to Soward's existing problems with back spasms. Article suggests he would still play this weekend, but the club is looking at getting the surgery done so he's good to play at the business end of the season.

If true I'd like to see,

Moylan 6
DWZ 1
Rennings 5

Team list Tuesday could be interesting, would be good to hear a statement from the club.

Blues Riff

Bench
Isaac John is playing well. He would fit seamlessly into what we're already doing. It's too early to experiment with Moylan. He's fine where he is, backing up the halves. Anyway, Sowie might be OK.

mxlegend99

Referee
Moylan at 6 for me. It won't happen, but it should.

Going to be a tough 6 weeks now. Thank God we banked the points we did already. Beating the top teams without him will be a huge ask.

betcats

Referee
John just played a great game in NSW cup, he would of been close to MOTM. He will come in imo. Moving Moylan would mean changing our attack to much when you have a good back up in John it doesnt make sense, especially with the Roosters this week. Moylan himself you'd think would want to continue to press his claim for the NSW fb so its unlikely he wants to move just now. Also Dallins size and athleticism will be useful marking against a big winger.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Can't see us doing too well without Soward if this comes to pass

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-undergoes-back-surgery-20150316-1m0l22.html

Penrith five-eighth Jamie Soward could be forced to undergo back surgery that would see him miss up to six matches for the Panthers.
Fairfax Media understands Soward, who has had a history of back problems, has been battling through the pain over the first fortnight of the competition.
The in-form Penrith playmaker is waiting for scan results on his lower back. It is believed Soward could still play for the Panthers in the blockbuster clash against the Sydney Roosters on Monday night, however the results of the scan could force him into surgery.
Soward has been complaining of numbness in his legs, which is believed to be why he handed over the goal-kicking duties to Matt Moylan after two failed conversion attempts to start the match against the Gold Coast Titans in Bathurst on Saturday afternoon. The Panthers, who had Jamal Idris sent in for back surgery in the off-season, have been monitoring the injury for the past fortnight.
But Soward and the Panthers might have to bite the bullet and undergo an operation to ensure he doesn't miss matches at the business end of the year.
The former NSW Origin five-eighth has a history of back problems. He was heavily criticised in 2012 after missing two games for ex-club St George Illawarra with back spasms. At the time he told Fairfax Media "I've had days where I've struggled to get out of bed".
If Soward was to be sidelined through injury, the Panthers aren't short of options to fill the void. Will Smith, who played alongside Soward in the halves in Penrith's charge to the preliminary finals last year, is playing fullback for the Panthers in NSW Cup. While Isaac John, who missed most of last year through injury, is in good form in the NSW Cup after winning man-of-the-match honours in his side's victory against North Sydney Bears in Bathurst on the weekend.
The Panthers are hopeful of welcoming back winger Josh Mansour from off-season surgery in a fortnight's time and his replacement George Jennings knows he has to fight to retain a spot in the side. "I never knew it would be that fast [in first grade] but as the minutes went past I felt more confident and it felt good."

Pomoz

Bench
J Moylan himself you'd think would want to continue to press his claim for the NSW fb so its unlikely he wants to move just now. Also Dallins size and athleticism will be useful marking against a big winger.
Moylan is no chance of getting a Blues jersey and nor should he. His defence is just not good enough. Furthermore, NSW are not interested in playing a passing game which is why they picked Reynolds and Hodgkinson. They play a power game based on defence and forward domination. Moylan would be a fish out of water in the current side and would get smashed every time he got the ball. And that's assuming he could prise it out of the fingers of Gallen as he takes his 400th hit up. QLD would know he is the only player likely to put on a pass and would just line up and knock him over. Brett Morriss has shown he will be a more than capable replacement. He doesn't have the passing game, but he is faster stronger, a better defender and reads the game pretty well. A much safer bet than Moylan. Brett Stewart would be next in line before Moylan as well. Been there, done that and in good form. Faster, stronger, better defender, reads the game well.

Players should play where they are told to, so I don't think he will have a say. However, it makes no sense to change two positions (5/8 and fullback) when you can just one and pick a player who has played there before at first grade level.

benntash

Juniors
I agree with only changing one position as regards to two to keep the team together more with less disruptions though it is only round 3 and we have shown we have more then capable players in the back. Could prove to be the perfect time and a master stroke to try out DWZ at fullback and Matty at 6.
IC will know best and I'll trust his decision

betcats

Referee
Moylan is no chance of getting a Blues jersey and nor should he. His defence is just not good enough. Furthermore, NSW are not interested in playing a passing game which is why they picked Reynolds and Hodgkinson. They play a power game based on defence and forward domination. Moylan would be a fish out of water in the current side and would get smashed every time he got the ball. And that's assuming he could prise it out of the fingers of Gallen as he takes his 400th hit up. QLD would know he is the only player likely to put on a pass and would just line up and knock him over. Brett Morriss has shown he will be a more than capable replacement. He doesn't have the passing game, but he is faster stronger, a better defender and reads the game pretty well. A much safer bet than Moylan. Brett Stewart would be next in line before Moylan as well. Been there, done that and in good form. Faster, stronger, better defender, reads the game well.

Players should play where they are told to, so I don't think he will have a say. However, it makes no sense to change two positions (5/8 and fullback) when you can just one and pick a player who has played there before at first grade level.

He quite obviously is a chance but please continue.

abpanther

Staff member
I wouldn't move Moylan at this stage, I like the path we're taking with DWZ of getting him up to speed in FG on the wing, similar to what the Roosters did with RTS.

If John is playing well I think he should come in, the biggest worry with Soward being out is our kicking game (and we'll miss those 20m cut out passes!)

What's John's kicking game like?

betcats

Referee
I wouldn't move Moylan at this stage, I like the path we're taking with DWZ of getting him up to speed in FG on the wing, similar to what the Roosters did with RTS.

If John is playing well I think he should come in, the biggest worry with Soward being out is our kicking game (and we'll miss those 20m cut out passes!)

What's John's kicking game like?

Funny you mention that John threw an almost identical 20m cutout pass this week in NSW cup to set up a try, literally indentical to Sowards round 1, it was uncanny. His kicking game is decent but he's no Soward, short kicking game is his strength he wont find the ground as often as Sowie does on those clearing kicks.

Last edited:

Latest posts