What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward & Seggie

RedVDave

First Grade
I would take them both I believe Soward never got a proper send off he rightly deserved and Seggie is one great player who are both potentially available.

Doubts over Jamie Soward's future at Penrith have re-surfaced after the former NSW Origin playmaker was dumped from the side to play Manly at Brookvale Oval on Sunday and replaced by rookie Nathan Cleary in a new look Panthers halves combination.

Soward, who rejected Phil Gould's off-season suggestion that he consider retiring, will join out of favour hooker James Segayaro in the NSW Cup team as Penrith coach Anthony Griffin attempts to get the team back on track after successive losses to Gold Coast and Melbourne.

Cleary, who made his NRL debut off the bench in last Saturday night's 24-6 loss to the Storm, will partner ball playing backrower Bryce Cartwright at the scrumbase in a move that provides the latter with the perfect opportunity to push his claims for the utility role on the NSW bench for Origin II.

Bizarrely, Soward was put forward by the Panthers for media interview just hours before the team was named and accepted responsibility for the loss in Melbourne after admitting he hadn't followed Griffin's game plan properly.

However, he gave no indication that he had been dropped by Griffin for the Sea Eagles clash when asked about Segayaro's demotion last week.

"If you're not winning and you don't perform ... we're all under the gun. Me included," Soward told reporters. "There's no excuses here. We have a lot of depth now and we have a lot of young guys coming through and Chicko [Segeyaro] accepted that."

Despite being contracted until the end of next season, Soward admitted earlier this year that he would again have to convince Griffin and Gould - Penrith's general manager of football - that he should play on and the 31-year-old already faced competition from Cleary and boom Kiwi playmaker Te Mare Martin, while many believe captain Matt Moylan will soon make the switch from fullback to five-eighth.

There is even speculation the Panthers may be interested in England fullback Zak Hardaker, who has been transfer listed by Leeds, while the club is expected to sign Blues and Australia prop James Tamou in coming days or weeks.

Meanwhile, Penrith prop Sam McKendry has accepted a two match ban after taking the early guilty plea for a grade one shoulder charge on Cameron Munster in the 78th minute of the loss to Melbourne.

City Origin representative Leilani Latu replaces McKendry in the starting line up, with Moses Leota promoted to the interchange bench for his NRL debut.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-nsw-cup-20160607-gpdr1y.html#ixzz4AtDej1w6
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Minh

First Grade
Wow, it seems like the Panthers are very quick to turn on their players from reading this...

blacksafake

First Grade
Soward has been playing like sh*t. I think he is past it but segeyaro i would certainly take.

Mr Red

First Grade
No to sowie at this stage of his career. I have only seen a few panthers games this season, but Soward hasnt been going too well..

Emu01

Juniors
I say yes to Soward, we havnt been able to score points since he left.Not to mention his kicking game.Remember how many games he kicked a field goal to win it for us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Sowards attack has been maybe a 5/10. His kicking game a 7/10. He might be a minor improvement with ball in hand.

But his defence is a 3/10 at best. Te Maire Martin and Nathan Cleary has less than 5 games of NSW Cup between them and came in making bigger tackle counts with fewer misses. He's a huge downgrade in defence over almost anyone.

This weekend Nathan Cleary had 39 tackles. 5 one on one tackles. 3 misses.
Jamie Soward had 16 tackles. 1 one on one tackle.4 misses.

Cleary had one game against grown men Soward has more than a decades worth. Yet he's the one who couldn't cope physically.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Should never have let Soward leave, but I wouldn't have him back now. Phil Gould suggesting he should retire is pretty harsh, but it would make me wary of taking him on.

Segayaro maybe.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Should never have let Soward leave, but I wouldn't have him back now. Phil Gould suggesting he should retire is pretty harsh, but it would make me wary of taking him on.

Segayaro maybe.

It was messy when he left, basically forced out by the coach. It might seem sad & harsh, but his time is up. His defence has slipped badly after improving to the point where he was confidently making tackles. The Storm just ran their giants at him & it was a no-contest.

Segeyaro? I don't think he'll join the Dragons, but he needs to decide whether he wants to fulfil his potential as a rugby league player or not.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Take two for one. Rein to the panthers for both Segy and Sowie. In fact give rein to the panthers. Problem solved.

betcats

Referee
It was messy when he left, basically forced out by the coach. It might seem sad & harsh, but his time is up. His defence has slipped badly after improving to the point where he was confidently making tackles. The Storm just ran their giants at him & it was a no-contest.

Segeyaro? I don't think he'll join the Dragons, but he needs to decide whether he wants to fulfil his potential as a rugby league player or not.

This. I was amazed by his defence in 2014, I was expecting one of the worst defenders in the comp and got someone who was pretty solid, he would actually put on a hit every now and then but now he is the worst defender in the comp and he has lost that acceleration so he really is no threat to break the line at all, the back injury took a lot from him. He has missed tackles twice this year in the dying minutes that have cost us wins and on Saturday Melbourne completely picked us apart and a lot of that was targeting Soward. Every try they scored they attacked Soward.

Datramp

Juniors
I loved Soward when he played for us and was sad to see him go. 2009/2010 Soward was insanly good, some of the highlights like the chip and chase draw the fullback and cutout to morris/nightengale were amazing.

That being said apart from his kicking game he seems to have lost alot of his attributes. He is no longer 'The fastest man in the world over 40m' which affects his threat in broken play and when taking on the line. His defence is suspect and he doesnt seem to have the vision that he used to, though this could be from moving from the 6 to the 7. Similar to Benji

betcats

Referee
He played some great games at 7 for us in 2014, completely outplayed JT one memorable time but he isn't a natural 7 the way some guys are.

grouch

First Grade
It was the right choice to let Soward go when we did. He turned back the clock in 2014 and had a great season, but has diminished quickly since. Problem is we haven't got the best out of his replacement Widdop since, which makes Sowie seem a bigger loss.

He'll still be a Saints legend for life

Crossbow

Juniors
He got assholed by the powers that be.I honestly cannot remember a premiership winning 5/8th get the raw deal he got.His defence is suspect on the try line but bring him back.He deserves that at the very least.

Country Dragon

Juniors
He got assholed by the powers that be.I honestly cannot remember a premiership winning 5/8th get the raw deal he got.His defence is suspect on the try line but bring him back.He deserves that at the very least.

As Gus would say, no,no,no,no,no!!!!!

Latest posts