What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward talks about all 2019 line ups

BLM01

First Grade
Both. Defied a direct instruction from Price. You may recall most posters here at the time agreed.First three years with us he would have scored at least half a dozen 70 - 80 metre tries but for some reason stopped doing it . Good for both parties that he moved on.
Face facts.. Sowie did not enjoy (he is not alone there) being tackled or tackling when he was or an opposition was running at full pace.

possm

Coach
Both. Defied a direct instruction from Price. You may recall most posters here at the time agreed.First three years with us he would have scored at least half a dozen 70 - 80 metre tries but for some reason stopped doing it . Good for both parties that he moved on.

It was no co-incident that the change in try scoring happened after Price took over.

Datramp

Juniors
To be fair look at the forward pack Price had in 2012
Ah Mau - Terrible back then
De Belin - 2nd year - not great at the time
Rein - Nuff Said
Fien - Father time had caught up
Gower - Not a world beater
Creagh
Merrin
Weyman
Young - Pretty sure he had knee problems that year?
Prior
Latimore
Dan Fkn Hunt
and then Matthews/Marketo/Stockwell.

And we still came 9th.

Compare that to Mary's results with much better teams.

Crush

Coach
Anyway Dragons have a post up about likely team .. Sowie on the money with omitting both Aitken/Dufty .. he knows where our weaknesses are
Yes I noticed though that the nrl.com predicted lineup had Aitken and Lafai as our starting centres with Lomax on the wing.
I think this is exactly what he will do.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yes I noticed though that the nrl.com predicted lineup had Aitken and Lafai as our starting centres with Lomax on the wing.
Do you Crush? Same old same old. My only beef is that our illustrious coach was a centre. Aitken is still a baby. We tend to forget.

kit66

Bench
I'd hate to see Dufty left out for an extended period. If you watch some of Norman's hi-lite reels you'll notice his best attribute is a very accurate short kicking game ( especially close to the opposition try - line ) which would benefit a speedster like Dufty - not only close to the line but back up field as well.
Dufty must be at or near the top in tackle breaks, metres gained and line breaks for the team not to mention top try scorer, can we afford to just drop him to seconds and forgo all that. With the loss of so much experience already at the back after the loss of Nightie and Mcdonald ( our other top metre eater ) I wouldn't be making more unnecessary changes. Widdop isn't going to provide any of the stats Dufty can at the back apart from maybe stopping a try or two that Dufty couldn't.

Old Timer

Coach
I'd hate to see Dufty left out for an extended period. If you watch some of Norman's hi-lite reels you'll notice his best attribute is a very accurate short kicking game ( especially close to the opposition try - line ) which would benefit a speedster like Dufty - not only close to the line but back up field as well.
Dufty must be at or near the top in tackle breaks, metres gained and line breaks for the team not to mention top try scorer, can we afford to just drop him to seconds and forgo all that. With the loss of so much experience already at the back after the loss of Nightie and Mcdonald ( our other top metre eater ) I wouldn't be making more unnecessary changes. Widdop isn't going to provide any of the stats Dufty can at the back apart from maybe stopping a try or two that Dufty couldn't.
Smart post.
The FB job is either Dufty or Dufty (can't really see any other options at the moment).
Norman like Widdop & Hunt needs to get his hands on the ball as much as possible especially within 30 meters of the try line and that isn't going to happen from FB.
Smart teams will find ways to nullify Widdop and or Norman if they are at the back and neither one of them is as dangerous as Dufty in broken field play.
If Norman clicks at our club Dufty could have an enormous year in attack and it's over to Mc Fookkuckle to work out how shut down his exposure in defence and I suggest not having Latimore miss tackles in the middle and not having Aitken running in out of the defensive line would be a very good start and it would also be helpful if Hunt learnt how to tackle properly rather than jumping up and being pushed off as he does at times.
We have a bit of a square peg in a round hole scenario with 3 quality halves but pushing 1 to FB doesn't seem the logical answer in my book.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Smart post.
The FB job is either Dufty or Dufty (can't really see any other options at the moment).
Norman like Widdop & Hunt needs to get his hands on the ball as much as possible especially within 30 meters of the try line and that insult going to happen from FB.
Smart teams will find ways to nullify Widdop and or Norman if they are at the back and neither one of them is as dangerous as Dufty in broken field play.
If Norman clicks at our club Dufty could have an enormous year in attack and it's over to Mc Fookkuckle to work out how shut down his exposure in defence and I suggest not having Latimore miss tackles in the middle and not having Aitken running in out of the defensive line would be a very good start and it would also be helpful if Hunt learnt how to tackle properly rather than jumping up and being pushed off as he does at times.
We have a bit of a square peg in a round hole scenario with 3 quality halves but pushing 1 to FB doesn't seem the logical answer in my book.
Bennett showed us what an effective fullback Widdop can be. Dufty only needs to drop back to ISP until he improves his defence and positional play and gains confidence to take the high ball. Dufty needs to find a way to make metres coming out of his own 20.

It is pretty clear to me that the way forward is to select Widdop at fullback and have Norman and Hunt as our halves. These 3 players combined would cause plenty of havoc in attack and at the same time give us a better defensive capability.

With Lomax at right centre and a speedy right winger, we should have no more problems in defence down the right.

RufusRex

Post Whore
[So true ... Dufty from the bench would get 10-15 a game at most and that is not going to do anything to address the issues in his game .. ISP is the best place for him - with Widdop leaving in 2020 and no guarantee of him playing a full season this year there will be plenty of opportunity for him to get a run at 1 in 2019 if he is patient and dedicated enough to do what is required to be a better player.

Robson is a much better option off the bench for the balance of the team.

Drag Queen

Bench
He has played 80 games of first grade ... stop thinking he is some kind of inexperienced beginner.

For context he has played more games than Lattrell Mitchell/Tom Trbjovic the current australian centres.
Exactly. And they still haven't 'fixed him'.. At the ground ole age of 23. Give me a break. Dufty will be the same age in a few days. Wrap that around your head. No disrespect RR, but we need a real, or should I say, a legitimate coach.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Exactly. And they still haven't 'fixed him'.. At the ground ole age of 23. Give me a break. Dufty will be the same age in a few days. Wrap that around your head. No disrespect RR, but we need a real, or should I say, a legitimate coach.
I don’t disagree with the last point

But

It’s mitch rein all over again ... exactly the same argument and exactly the same prognosis .. at least in lomax we already have a better option ready to go

Drag Queen

Bench
I don’t disagree with the last point

But

It’s mitch rein all over again ... exactly the same argument and exactly the same prognosis .. at least in lomax we already have a better option ready to go
Bloody hell. You think Rein was our problem? FMD.

Old Timer

Coach
[So true ... Dufty from the bench would get 10-15 a game at most and that is not going to do anything to address the issues in his game .. ISP is the best place for him - with Widdop leaving in 2020 and no guarantee of him playing a full season this year there will be plenty of opportunity for him to get a run at 1 in 2019 if he is patient and dedicated enough to do what is required to be a better player.

Robson is a much better option off the bench for the balance of the team.
I agree in that if Dufty doesn't make the no 1 spot his own then he will be best served by playing FB full time in reggies until he sorts it out.
What worries me though is that if Dufty does start in 1sts and gets dropped will he get the FB job in reggies or will Millward's pin up boy Field actually get the job.
In many ways it's really make or break for Dufty in that he either nails the FB job in 1sts straight up or in fact rather than drop him after a few games we release him as there are a few options available not that any of them are particularly attractive but in reality he either has it or he doesn't and I don't think there is anyone at our club that is capable of up-skilling him.