What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowie n Slip = Choc n Tingha II ?

boxa777

Coach
I use to love watching Blacklock and Mundine go nuts in the late 90s. Some of the tries they would score would be pearlers and their combination was something to saviour.

We've had some lean years since. Sure there was the shimmy shimmy woosh of Le Gaz but his combo with the Express Colin whilst effective at times, was not exactly poetry to watch with arms and legs flailing everywhere.

But now watching the combo develop between Morris and Soward, it certainly brings back memories of the fiveEighth-Wing combo of Choc and Tingha. Both sets have great pace and ability to score the long range try.

Last week's kick by Soward to Morris was great to see. And of course the try the duo scored against the Bronx at the start of the year was sensational. It just smelt of Blacklock and Choc. Great to watch.

marty_dragon

Juniors
Those were the days! Front flips back flips and cartwheels. Choc and Tingha really had something special. Some of the tries they used to score i will never forget! Its great to see Sowie and B-moz stepping up and scoring some great tries! FIRE UP!

Godz Illa

Coach
Also the first minute try on Anzac Day... and one against the Dogs that was an ankle tap away from being a try. I agree the combo is building nicely there...

But the Choc and Tingha partnership was something else. They had some telepathic thing going on. I' read books about those aboriginal powers of telepathy, and pointing albino kangaroo bones and such... never really believed it until 1998-99

watatank

Coach
I would really like to see Morris come infield and trail the ball more and run directly off Soward, in the same sorta fashion Blacklock did.

Godz Illa

Coach
There's only one Nathan Blacklock. It takes a special mix of confidence and a supreme talent for reading opportunities in advance - to leave your wing and hover in the right spot around the right people at the right time. Not many players can do it.

watatank

Coach
This is true but Morris has that same ability in him IMO, that's why so many people wanted him at fullback. He shows glimpses at times but does lack the involvement and execution on a regular basis.

boxa777

Coach
There's only one Nathan Blacklock. It takes a special mix of confidence and a supreme talent for reading opportunities in advance - to leave your wing and hover in the right spot around the right people at the right time. Not many players can do it.

Chris Walker in his prime had similar powers coming off his wing but Tingha was something really special.

Godz Illa

Coach
Morris has that same ability in him IMO.
A lot of players have that ability, not many act on it. And Brett is probably one of the top 2-3 wingers in the game. Blacklock was super confident and super talented, but he was also a free spirit and allowed to play that way. Perhaps rigid coaching and a fear of errors have prevented more Blacklock-style wingers, or maybe Blacklock was a freak

boxa777

Coach
Some centres with big egos also contribute to keeping wingers on the wing. I remember Mary use to be so filthy everytime Tingha would run in there and leave him stranded on the wing haha.. But he was a free spirit. He would play first grade just like he would play at the park back home in Tingha with his mates.

I notice Kevin Locke of the Warriors starting to do it a little last week also. I think you need to be more than just a winger to get it done as Tingh did. You need football smarts. Manu Vatuvei is a good modern day winger but he would be clueless in the middle trailing the halves.

Godz Illa

Coach
When Brett Morris came into grade our team's entire attack was built around Cooper and Gasnier, so it was imperative he stayed outside them at all times. That's a hard habit to break.

Kevin Locke looks the goods alright.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Some centres with big egos also contribute to keeping wingers on the wing. I remember Mary use to be so filthy everytime Tingha would run in there and leave him stranded on the wing haha.. But he was a free spirit. He would play first grade just like he would play at the park back home in Tingha with his mates.

I notice Kevin Locke of the Warriors starting to do it a little last week also. I think you need to be more than just a winger to get it done as Tingh did. You need football smarts. Manu Vatuvei is a good modern day winger but he would be clueless in the middle trailing the halves.
Locke is a natural fullback, put on the wing. It has alot to do with the way he plays. He's a natural support player, confine him to the wing and you lose his best asset. He's going to be one damn good player in the years to come. One of the most exciting young prospects I've seen for a while (add Mortimer to that as well)

redvscotty

First Grade
Also the first minute try on Anzac Day... and one against the Dogs that was an ankle tap away from being a try. I agree the combo is building nicely there...

But the Choc and Tingha partnership was something else. They had some telepathic thing going on. I' read books about those aboriginal powers of telepathy, and pointing albino kangaroo bones and such... never really believed it until 1998-99

Boys of Binjiwinjiwunya?

boxa777

Coach
Locke is a natural fullback, put on the wing. It has alot to do with the way he plays. He's a natural support player, confine him to the wing and you lose his best asset. He's going to be one damn good player in the years to come. One of the most exciting young prospects I've seen for a while (add Mortimer to that as well)

Certainly is a natural fullback.. McKinnon's days could be numbered.

Locke did things in defence last week that were absolutely amazing. Reminded me a lot of Jarryd Hayne's first few matches. He use to make some great defensive plays as a rookie before he started to get all the tries.

I've read a few books along those lines. It is brilliant stuff and the 99 highlights video showcases it all at its fullest.

watatank

Coach
A lot of players have that ability, not many act on it. And Brett is probably one of the top 2-3 wingers in the game. Blacklock was super confident and super talented, but he was also a free spirit and allowed to play that way. Perhaps rigid coaching and a fear of errors have prevented more Blacklock-style wingers, or maybe Blacklock was a freak

There's nothing much I disagree with here...But I'm not trying to discount the player Blacklock was, there's not many that have his speed and anticipation, it was just uncanny. Morris could become a similar player (in style, not in results) but as it is, and it was one of my biggest criticisms of Morris at fullback was that he didn't get involved as much he should have. He's doing great on the wing, I've said plenty of times that's his best position but there's so much more improvement in him and more strings to add to his bow.

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep Morris is still young, and can achieve so much in the game. Even Wendell is saying that Brett is a better player than he is. Which is a massive, massive call from Dell.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25725051-5006066,00.html

Wendell Sailor to Brett Morris - you're our main man

By Josh Massoud | July 03, 2009 12:00am

WENDELL Sailor has made an art-form of talking himself up.
Just two weeks shy of his 35th birthday, the dual international's brazen streak is longer than his glittering list of achievements.
But for the first time in memory Sailor is content with silver. After staring down some of the game's greatest wingers - berating and belittling them along the way - the NRL's version of Muhammad Ali has finally taken a back seat.
"Brett Morris is the best winger at St George Illawarra," Sailor said.
Sorry? The last time we checked, Wendell Sailor played for St George Illawarra. And what's more, he plays on the wing.
"Yeah, I know," Sailor laughed.
"People will find it funny to hear it from me, but it's fair dinkum.
"Brett Morris is going the better. To be honest, the tries I'm scoring have come from kicks and a lot of good lead-up work from our halves, but Brett has been creating his own chances. It's amazing how far he's come since the start of the year."
Sailor should know. Just as the popular evergreen did 12 months ago, Morris earned his NRL stripes via Ron Costello Oval, Shellharbour.
Starting the season behind Kiwi international Jason Nightingale, Morris was plugging away before a handful of spectators on the south coast when St George Illawarra played their first game under new coach Wayne Bennett in Melbourne.
But things have hotted up for Morris since that balmy March night. He stormed into the team the following week and has excelled to such an extent that Nightingale was forced to fill in at prop against Wests Tigers last Friday night.
Throw in 13 tries from as many appearances and Morris is now a huge chance to join twin brother Josh when the NSW side for Origin III is announced on Monday night.
"They've got to pick Brett Morris, he's the form winger in NSW," Sailor said. "I couldn't believe it when they left him out for the second game, to be honest."
The 22-year-old refuses to get ahead of himself and, like all the red and white success stories, credits his turnaround to Bennett.
"I started in reserve grade but when Wayne put me in, he backed me and that was huge," Morris said. "I felt like I belonged in the team."
But first the Roosters on home soil at OKI Jubilee Oval tonight. The top-placed Dragons are short-priced favourites to account for their opposition, who sit at the farthest end of the ladder.
But most punting intrigue surrounds Morris, who has been credited with a personal market after costing bookmakers nearly $250,000 in first-try scorers' bets this season. TAB Sportsbet has him at $2.30 to cross the stripe once.
Just about the only thing shorter is another Dragons victory.

drake

First Grade
Amen to that brother.

Latest posts