What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sparkles in court

By Natasha Wallace
November 15, 2005

The reputation of former rugby league international Mark McGaw - who pleaded guilty in 2003 to having assaulted a female business partner and flatmate - has been "completely destroyed" by a "viciously distorted" current affairs report, a court has heard.

Business and sporting personalities are expected to rally behind McGaw, 41, in a damages hearing after a jury found he was defamed by a Today Tonight story.

Yesterday a close friend and former Liberal leader Kerry Chikarovski, told the NSW Supreme Court that McGaw was "absolutely shattered" after Louise Boucheron accused him on the Channel Seven show of bashing her so brutally she had to be admitted to hospital.

Ms Boucheron, who was paid $10,000 for the interview, alleged McGaw assaulted her three times, the court heard.

Mrs Chikarovski said she was "horrified" by the allegations aired on June 11, 2003, and did not believe them.

On that day, McGaw - who is also known for his role as Hammer on TV's Gladiators - was given a 12-month good behaviour bond, with no conviction recorded, after he pleaded guilty to assaulting Ms Boucheron. He had pulled her from his car after she refused to get out.

Ms Boucheron was employed at McGaw's personal fitness company as a manager, and had lived with him in his Bellevue Hill apartment.

The show reported that "underneath his muscled, smiling face lurked a demon, a psychological disorder, which led to explosive violence", the court heard.

Yesterday McGaw's barrister, Tom Molomby, SC, told the court that in one of the alleged incidents, Ms Boucheron had in fact injured herself during a drunken tantrum. She was "quite berserk", jumping on a bed when she fell through the slats, he said.

In the car incident, she had tried to climb through the window, Mr Molomby said, and her bruises were because she was "kicking under the dashboard of the car, she had wrapped herself in the seatbelt … She had her legs in the window of the car with her arms on the roof."

He said McGaw and Ms Boucheron had never been in a sexual relationship.

Mr Molomby said the show was "viciously distorted".

"Ms Boucheron is a manipulative and dishonest person," he said. "There's no record at all of any horrific injuries. It's a fairytale."

The hearing continues.

mcgaw_wideweb__470x317,0.jpg

http://smh.com.au/news/national/highprofile-friends-back-rugby-star/2005/11/14/1131951099011.html

White Poiner

Coach
No no SOL... I watced that great show.

TBH vulcan. Was my fave.

I remember hammer.. but i never knew he was mark.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Vulcan is a f*cken thug that used to big note him self around the shire & belt people for no reason.
Don't knoiw how he never ended up on assualt charges.

Special K

Coach
I went to school with Vulcans nephew or something... I remember he came and picked the kid up from school once - a rather big event imo.

White Poiner

Coach
I remember the people being brittish or something.

I know vulcan is a kiwi though.

See K, you do have a cool school story.

lolesi

First Grade
Vulcan owns a wrestling joint in Menai.

Big bastard, massive kids, im talking HUGE.

gavin_miller

Juniors
what happened to sparkles?such a legend here, went to souths...and maybe penrith or am I imagining that? had a verbal with my hero Gav Miller about the immortals?...wanted to fight Mal Meninga at the charity footy game and this assault allegations.Oh, I left out gladiators...

Sparkles was never the same after the knee injury sustained on the 1990 Kangaroo tour. His last minute try in the first State of Origin game in 87 was a highlight.

gavin_miller said:
what happened to sparkles?such a legend here, went to souths...and maybe penrith or am I imagining that? had a verbal with my hero Gav Miller about the immortals?...wanted to fight Mal Meninga at the charity footy game and this assault allegations.Oh, I left out gladiators...

FMFF
He went to Souths, so what?
I dont know about that Gavin Miller thing
The Mal Meninga thing was a joke, Mal was just as involved in it as McGaw was yet somehow Mal came out of it looking like the victim. If Mal hadnt started the whole fight then McGaw wouldnt have needed to retaliate
As for the assault allegations, he got involved with some psychotic woman who wanted to smear him. Cant blame a man for that. Most women are nuts and he just wanted her out of his car.

He's a good man.

coolumsharkie

Referee
He is a good bloke... went to school with my brother (Engadine High) always said hello even when he was a star at the Sharks