What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speeding question

supersoniceagle

Juniors
As we know, the right hand lane on the roads is the overtaking lane. I've heard that going over the speed limit in this lane is allowed when you are overtaking. Is this true? If so by how much?

I found it quite strange but a few people have said that's the law. I personally don't see why anyone should be allowed to go over the limit

supersoniceagle

Juniors
That's what I thought, but I've been told by so many ppl that it's allowed. I also heard it on the radio the other day and they were talking about how u can do it!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Has Moffo been giving driving lessons again?

supersoniceagle, drivers will try and work out all sorts of ways to justify breaking the speed limit. The 'overtaking' thing is a pretty common piece of pub talk.

The fact is, for you to overtake a vehicle doing the speed limit means that you would have to be speeding, and therefore breaking the law. If a car in front of you is doing the speed limit, or just below it, then you've also reached close enough to your maximum speed. Its just a matter of backing off after that.

It sounds simple, I know. But its amazing how people don't know it.

MattyB

Juniors
Police used to have a Range of around 10%
If you wet over by less than 10% you were ok depending on the cop, but not anymore.

If the speed limit is 60 and your doing 61 and get pulled over, you lose 3 points

Dave Q

Coach
I am not a cop but Ive been told that the radars or Lidar are calibrated for 4 km or over.

It was higher, then they reduced it. Some cynical people said it was a better revenue raiser

Not much room for error anyway.

But no you cant overtake someone who is going the limit

Punter: "I was just overtaking him officer, honest"
cop: " Yeah but you were still 50kph over the limit!"

Imagine the chaos!

I had a mate done for overtaking a cop car (doing the limit).

[furrycat]

Coach
MattyB said:
Police used to have a Range of around 10%
If you wet over by less than 10% you were ok depending on the cop, but not anymore.

If the speed limit is 60 and your doing 61 and get pulled over, you lose 3 points

No.

+ and - 2 for stationery cameras

+ and - 3 for moving.

[furrycat]

Coach
macavity said:
from memory, ADRs say a spedo must be calibrated within +/- 10% of true.

tis a myth- SE states differently and I've seen many mates get done for 104 in 100 zones (less than 10%), 64 in 60 zones (less than 10%), and my brother was done for 118 in a 110 zone (less than 10%)

Razor

Coach
from memory, ADRs say a spedo must be calibrated within +/- 10% of true.

Yes they do. Under the law they only have to be accurate to 10%. If your speedo says 100km/h then you could be doing anywhere between 90-110.

However that isn't an excuse for speeding. It is your responsibility to discover how accurate your speedo is. So doing 105km/h still gets you a ticket. Even if your speedo says 96km/h.

If your speedo is less accurate than +/- 10% then you can get done for driving an un-roadworthy vehicle.

macavity

Referee
I've seen many mates get done for 104 in 100 zones (less than 10%), 64 in 60 zones (less than 10%), and my brother was done for 118 in a 110 zone (less than 10%)

they should challenge them.

when it comes to this issue, the law, and the cops, are a joke.

macavity

Referee
Willow said:
On what grounds can they challenge it macavity?

would be shaky, but they would have to establish that they didnt willfully speed and that their car was not outside ADR standards - in other words, that true speed was higher than displayed speed.

would cost thousands to run the case with no guarantee of success - but technically possible.

the major problem is that most manufacturers set true speed 2-5kmh below displayed speed.

dont mind me, traffic law (and drug law) are my 2 big bugbears.

Serc

First Grade
My housemate brought a brand spanking new Forester a few months back, and he wondered why everyone was passing him on the roads all the time (he is NOT a slow driver). After a week of this, he switched his GPS to the mode where it shows him his speed and found out that his speedo is around 9% out...

So now he does 125km/h on his speedo to keep up with the traffic on the M1 (ie: the big 4 lane freeway from Bris to the Gold Coast). What a joke. What gets me is that the cops can book you for 3% or 4% over the limit or whatever it is, but vehicles sold in Australia can have their speedos with up to 10% error!!!

Subaru refused to correct his speedo when asked - saying thats just how it is and is within the 10% rule. My housemate does a LOT of kms in his car and this one will have a good 300,000km put on it by the time he sells it in 3-5 years time...because of the faulty (yes i call it faulty) speedo it will have an 'extra' 30,000km on it.

I know which car I'd choose if I couldn't split them aside from one with 280,000 and 310,000km on it...