What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spineless

Shredder

Juniors
Now that we have had some improvement in the forwards, obviously its the spine that needs fixing (desperately).

We have hooker squared away, and with Laurie, Staines, Brooks, Wakeman all off contract this year, I reckon this is where the club makes its next moves. I thought AD was off contract at the end of this year as well, but the interweb is telling me he is signed for next year as well.

Excellent reports this morning that there is interest in Brooks from "Super" League. I really think thats a great go for him and he will kill it over there. I also saw a snippet that we were looking at William Kennedy from the sharks, which would be an improvement.

I think Wakeman makes a decent back up half. Unfortunately, there is literally bugger all on the open market.
I think Staines could be manufactured into a serviceable 6, but given the decade of disgrace, I think we should be trying to improve asap.

Any thoughts? Anyone watch super league and see anyone over there that might be handy?

With the players mentioned above and Nofo if we let them all go we would have about $2mln to spend.

Tigerm

First Grade
Now that we have had some improvement in the forwards, obviously its the spine that needs fixing (desperately).

We have hooker squared away, and with Laurie, Staines, Brooks, Wakeman all off contract this year, I reckon this is where the club makes its next moves. I thought AD was off contract at the end of this year as well, but the interweb is telling me he is signed for next year as well.

Excellent reports this morning that there is interest in Brooks from "Super" League. I really think thats a great go for him and he will kill it over there. I also saw a snippet that we were looking at William Kennedy from the sharks, which would be an improvement.

I think Wakeman makes a decent back up half. Unfortunately, there is literally bugger all on the open market.
I think Staines could be manufactured into a serviceable 6, but given the decade of disgrace, I think we should be trying to improve asap.

Any thoughts? Anyone watch super league and see anyone over there that might be handy?

With the players mentioned above and Nofo if we let them all go we would have about $2mln to spend.
There was talk about the Pommy half, Williams I think it was? Though I don’t know how legit that was.

But Sheens has stated that contract talks will be during our bye round, so hopefully we will know what is happening then?

I also saw a snippet that we were looking at William Kennedy from the sharks, which would be an improvement.
Really?

Didn't see that one and he would be great, no, he'd be outstanding. Sure that his old man was a former Tiger.

Last 'son of' would have been the young Sirro boys. Young Camroux hasn't pushed on and young Edmed is entrenched as a rah rah.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Unless I'm mistaken, Brooks and Doeuihi are here until end of 2023, but Laurie and Staines are only signed until end of this year. It makes a lot of sense why our spine is shitting itself because they are all playing for a contract and not able to gel. I think their are two key things to play out before the club makes any serious moves:
1. Whether Bula can make the transition to first grade.
2. Whether Wakeham can make it as a NRL halfback

If both fail then we have to be careful because while we have a lot of money in our cap, halfback and fullback are amongst the most expensive positions to fill. However if one succeeds and the other fails then we can make a big play for a marquee signing in either position.

I have a strong feeling that while Wakeham will offer extremely good value as halves depth, we will make George Williams an offer he can't refuse and Bula will burst onto the scene and become our full time fullback with Staines locking down a wing spot and first cab off the rank at FB.

Tigerm

First Grade
Unless I'm mistaken, Brooks and Doeuihi are here until end of 2023, but Laurie and Staines are only signed until end of this year. It makes a lot of sense why our spine is shitting itself because they are all playing for a contract and not able to gel. I think their are two key things to play out before the club makes any serious moves:
1. Whether Bula can make the transition to first grade.
2. Whether Wakeham can make it as a NRL halfback

If both fail then we have to be careful because while we have a lot of money in our cap, halfback and fullback are amongst the most expensive positions to fill. However if one succeeds and the other fails then we can make a big play for a marquee signing in either position.

I have a strong feeling that while Wakeham will offer extremely good value as halves depth, we will make George Williams an offer he can't refuse and Bula will burst onto the scene and become our full time fullback with Staines locking down a wing spot and first cab off the rank at FB.
I thought Brooks was this year and Doohee just recently signed a one year extension?

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Brooks, Laurie, Wakeham are in their final year, 2023. A.D. signed a 1 year extension in the off season, he's contracted until end 2024.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I'm mot sure on Braydon Trindall's contract situation with the sharks, but we should be making a play for him. Hynes is deservedly first choice 7 for them, Trindall's too good to play backup. Though he may be happy to sit back & let Moylan play out this year then move to 6.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm mot sure on Braydon Trindall's contract situation with the sharks, but we should be making a play for him. Hynes is deservedly first choice 7 for them, Trindall's too good to play backup. Though he may be happy to sit back & let Moylan play out this year then move to 6.

Trindall resigned until 2025. He and Pezet are the 2 guys not playing regular first grade who are ready to jump in but sadly both locked up.

The 1 we should be targeting is Kaeo Weeks from manly. Guy is absolutely electric, and NRL ready imo, off contract too. I’d be signing him for next year and pushing for an early release.

The halves are a bit tougher. In reality Brendan Wakeham was the best 7 in nsw cup last year so you gotta go for a mid age guy like himl or Jack Cogger/Adam Clune
And hope to get something from them or a young gun who’s path is blocked like Joey ONeil (Dogs) or Ethan Sanders (Eels) and hope they come good a year or two early.

Tigerm

First Grade
Trindall resigned until 2025. He and Pezet are the 2 guys not playing regular first grade who are ready to jump in but sadly both locked up.

The 1 we should be targeting is Kaeo Weeks from manly. Guy is absolutely electric, and NRL ready imo, off contract too. I’d be signing him for next year and pushing for an early release.

The halves are a bit tougher. In reality Brendan Wakeham was the best 7 in nsw cup last year so you gotta go for a mid age guy like himl or Jack Cogger/Adam Clune
And hope to get something from them or a young gun who’s path is blocked like Joey ONeil (Dogs) or Ethan Sanders (Eels) and hope they come good a year or two early.
Sheens (and Laurie) have big raps on Bulla as our 1, I haven't seen him play, do you rate him?

Tigerm

First Grade
Huge talent but still a large amount of deficiancies in his game, I see him as a wing/centre not a fullback. I dont rate Laurie or Staines as fullbacks but atm they are better options then him there

At least he's quick and likes to run the ball:)

Fordy20

Juniors
I’ve thought that for 18 years.
I wasn't sure until the 2008 season, when he gave Mat Head less than half a season at halfback despite specifically needing a dominant game managing half. Instead he played Farah in the #7 or persisted with his failed experiment with Johnny Cronk.

There's been much worse things over the years, but his stubborn refusal to replace Prince with a game managing halfback for his entire tenure is what sealed it for me

Last edited:

Mr_Raditch

Juniors

That sucks, as you said there really is no halves option available. So what does the club do, re-sign Brooks on a much lower contract because we need a halfback or offer Wakeham a contract for next year & run with a halves pairing of him & A.D? (My choice)

Spot on with Weeks, Laurie has shown he unfortunately isnt the answer so if we at least get a fullback we can get A.D. away from there. We (the club) really are in a tough situation with the halves, there aren't any good options available. We were all dumbfounded by the amount of money thrown at Moses, but I can understand why the club did & why Parra matched it, there was no other option.

Tiger Ted

Bench
That sucks, as you said there really is no halves option available. So what does the club do, re-sign Brooks on a much lower contract because we need a halfback or offer Wakeham a contract for next year & run with a halves pairing of him & A.D? (My choice)

Spot on with Weeks, Laurie has shown he unfortunately isnt the answer so if we at least get a fullback we can get A.D. away from there. We (the club) really are in a tough situation with the halves, there aren't any good options available. We were all dumbfounded by the amount of money thrown at Moses, but I can understand why the club did & why Parra matched it, there was no other option.
I’d b giving a serious look at Hawkins the souths lower grade half.I really believe he could do a very competent job for us.As u said there doesn’t seem to b any good options so we r well & truly FKD thanks to the moronic decisions by the brains trust at toxic concord.I must reiterate that I’ve seen a fair bit of Hawkins & he is way too good for nsw cup & we r in a desperate situation.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Anyone else starting to think 2005 was a complete fluke and Sheens has no idea what he is doing?

I know I am
This team is a little different to 2005. No Benji, no Scott Prince, no Brett Hodgson, no Pat Richards. I'll throw in no Liam Fulton or Todd Payten as well.

We had a great spine back then. Now we have a quality hooker then nothing for the rest of the spine.

However, saying all that, I am currently of the belief Sheens has no idea what he is doing and has managed to pass that on to the team.

I’d b giving a serious look at Hawkins the souths lower grade half.I really believe he could do a very competent job for us.As u said there doesn’t seem to b any good options so we r well & truly FKD thanks to the moronic decisions by the brains trust at toxic concord.I must reiterate that I’ve seen a fair bit of Hawkins & he is way too good for nsw cup & we r in a desperate situation.
As it so happens, I’ve heard some good things about him too.

Latest posts