What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spineless

Fordy20

Juniors
I know as a non tigers fan my opinion may not be welcome here but the problems at the tigers all stem from a lack of accountability. Nobody cares what happens internally because there are no repercussions.
When there is no accountability at the board level, why would expect any amongst the playing group?

I know as a non tigers fan my opinion may not be welcome here but the problems at the tigers all stem from a lack of accountability. Nobody cares what happens internally because there are no repercussions.

at least there are some recruits this year that take pride in their efforts and try hard to deliver results (api, Bateman, papali’i, wakeham, Staines, Naden) but the guys who have been around for awhile just don’t care.

how is brooks not in reserve grade already this year? Does absolutely f**kall and is being paid plenty. The “he is a young man so it’s unfair to dump the burden on him” excuse should have died 5 years ago. You can’t win games when your half back does nothing.

look at the first try they scored the other day. Bateman and papali’i attacked the right edge while brooks was on the other side of the field and without him there killing the move, they strolled over. Bateman probably saw he wasn’t there to pass it into the ground or over the sideline and that’s why he went at the defense.

it will surely end eventually and the team will start playing footy you fans can be proud of. In the meantime they have some pretty glaring problems that have to be addressed pronto before the new recruits decide to stop caring/trying too.

Brooks’ career is a whole lot of lucky timing. He burst onto the scene when we had a relatively young side that couldn’t land on the right coach. He got a long term contract on potential, and when it expired we were also set to lose Moses, Woods and Tedesco. When the other three all left the club offered him a year (2018). In 2018 he actually had a decent season and won halfback of the year and got another 5 years which have been a disaster. If you look at the sheer bleeding of halves we’ve had over the past decade, it’s set the bar to an almost impossible heights for him

Does anyone believe that if Nathan Cleary was here, he would be playing currently like our 7?

Just can‘t see how he can be defended, surely better for all that he goes.

If Brooksy could do just one of half of the things Cleary can do, we’d be in the fight this year.

One half of his bombs, grubbers, passes, cut outs, you name it, we’d be another side.

And his clutch and confidence.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I've actually been a long supporter of Brooks. I was at his debut and I honestly thought he was the answer to our prayers. There is a good footballer in him, but its clear that footballer won't be wearing a WT jersey.

Let him go to ESL. He will no doubt regain his form and fkn tear teams apart. Maybe he will even win a premiership over there? Maybe we will see him in the world club challenge? He just needs to go...doesnt have to go home just cant stay here.

I've actually been a long supporter of Brooks. I was at his debut and I honestly thought he was the answer to our prayers. There is a good footballer in him, but its clear that footballer won't be wearing a WT jersey.

Let him go to ESL. He will no doubt regain his form and fkn tear teams apart. Maybe he will even win a premiership over there? Maybe we will see him in the world club challenge? He just needs to go...doesnt have to go home just cant stay here.

Start of last year I realised it was all over for Brooksy.

Madge realised this a bit earlier when the signals were first sent for Hastings.

We presume that was all done with Tim’s knowledge etc which is why it was a major surprise when Tim backflipped.

So I think Tim hand a major hand in rejecting the offers from the Knights and the rest is history.

Tigerm

First Grade
Start of last year I realised it was all over for Brooksy.

Madge realised this a bit earlier when the signals were first sent for Hastings.

We presume that was all done with Tim’s knowledge etc which is why it was a major surprise when Tim backflipped.

So I think Tim hand a major hand in rejecting the offers from the Knights and the rest is history.
I think more the board (in particular Lee) wanted to keep Brooks and Tim got the job (he wanted the job above everything) by promising he would.

The problem he has now is, he realises what everyone else has known for quite some time, the bloke just doesn't have it. He knows he has staked his legacy (for what it was) on this and its fallen apart so quickly, he doesn't know what to do. Won't be the first time the club has sacked him.

But now, the club is stuffed as they have supposedly given Marshal the job the year after next, can't see Kimmorley coming back, so who is going to coach the team for this season and next?

This is all hypothetical of course, but they can't sack Sheens and he knows it, the club knows it and we are all just starting to realise it.

The 5 year plan, has just been extended:(

I think more the board (in particular Lee) wanted to keep Brooks and Tim got the job (he wanted the job above everything) by promising he would.

The problem he has now is, he realises what everyone else has known for quite some time, the bloke just doesn't have it. He knows he has staked his legacy (for what it was) on this and its fallen apart so quickly, he doesn't know what to do. Won't be the first time the club has sacked him.

But now, the club is stuffed as they have supposedly given Marshal the job the year after next, can't see Kimmorley coming back, so who is going to coach the team for this season and next?

This is all hypothetical of course, but they can't sack Sheens and he knows it, the club knows it and we are all just starting to realise it.

The 5 year plan, has just been extended:(

They won’t sack Sheens under any circumstances on an up front basis because of the emotional investment they’ve placed in him.
Months and months of his lionisation and the second coming hurrah.

In order to sack him:

The best we can hope for is some bullshit story that he has to cut his tenure short for family reasons or other rubbish.

There has to be a cover story and the club needs to plausibly deny his axing.

A straight out sacking would be an admission of failure which we don’t do.

Consideration as an explanation of change, could well manifest itself by invoking a surprise scapegoat.

The new “Madge”- which won’t be one of the coaching staff. Some kind of fall guy from elsewhere.

Justin might be a candidate but I fear he knows too much to be condemned by the board. They could often him a sweetener to cop it perhaps.

That said, I’ve been very clear in my thoughts on Pascoe. He reports to the board. They give him the bad ideas or they support them and he does what he’s told.

He may do it badly, but he’s essentially a puppet.

It’s the board who are incompetent pack of assholes. f**k them all for destroying our club and bringing us to our knees.

Has Tim got anything right? No.

I hope Lee is reading this and goes me for defamation. I’ve got a truth defence.

Last edited:

Phil Gould

Juniors
Sheens can’t have been happy when they sacked him last time. He must have known the hand Benji and Robbie had in it as well. When he got the call up to come back he must have been laughing to himself about it all and wondering wtf is going on with these idiots. Is he thinking “sure, I’ll take the money and then let’s see how the two clowns that got me sacked go without me”. Is he having a legitimate go at it but his hands are somewhat tied? Or is he just incompetent and can’t see what every other league fan can see? Surely not.

simmo05

Bench
Sheens can’t have been happy when they sacked him last time. He must have known the hand Benji and Robbie had in it as well. When he got the call up to come back he must have been laughing to himself about it all and wondering wtf is going on with these idiots. Is he thinking “sure, I’ll take the money and then let’s see how the two clowns that got me sacked go without me”. Is he having a legitimate go at it but his hands are somewhat tied? Or is he just incompetent and can’t see what every other league fan can see? Surely not.
One massive stitch up! I would love it if it were the case! Unfortunately I think it is just rank incompetence throughout the entire organisation.

Phil Gould

Juniors
One massive stitch up! I would love it if it were the case! Unfortunately I think it is just rank incompetence throughout the entire organisation.
Yeah, it’s most likely what you say. Rank incompetence throughout the organisation at a level that is absolutely stunning. To have every single fan at a complete loss as to wtf is going on is something special. I’d say this is a rare moment in time if it hadn’t been going on for so long but I think we are at the peak. I hope it has peaked, can it get any worse? We will know by the end of the year when they announce how much they’re going to pay Brooks for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
1. Brooks is gone. He won't get another contract in the NRL after 2023. SuperLeague is where it is for him.

2. The Pearce rumour is desperation, but he's better than any option they currently have in the club. How bad is that? They went into this pre-season with Brooks, Douehi, and Will Smith as their 'halves' in the top 30. Wakeham was signed in December. That is horrendous roster management. We aren't privy to what went on behind the scenes with Hastings, but to move him on without any back-up plan was horrible planning.

The problem with this club is it is stuck in mud. With each new coach or GM of Football, the go back to square one rather than building upon anything.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If you look at our stats in each game (excluding Broncos), I'm pretty sure we won in the majority of stats. Our forwards are doing the job. Our backs are hit and miss but I blame this mess completely at the feet of our halves. It is abundantly clear to everyone with eyes, that we are completely and utterly rudderless. It leads to panicked passes, poor 5th tackle decisions and just general confusion on who is supposed to be doing what.

While I'm more frustrated than I've ever been with the WT, I'm starting to ask what more they can possibly do to resolve this problem? We have no halfback at the club that can implement the coaches plan. Unless your Wayne Bennett, the coach can't really do shit unless the game manager can't translate your directions onto the field. We've gone after pretty much every half that has become available, including halves in the ESL that aren't available and nobody has been interested. We call out to sack Brooks but then replace him with who? Wakeham isn't the answer and none of our juniors are ready for NRL.

So I genuinely ask everyone...if the WT board and CEO was replaced by you, supreme emperor of the Wests Tigers with absolute, unchallenged authority...what would you do to fix this mess? Particularly, what would you do to fix our halfback problem?

If you look at our stats in each game (excluding Broncos), I'm pretty sure we won in the majority of stats. Our forwards are doing the job. Our backs are hit and miss but I blame this mess completely at the feet of our halves. It is abundantly clear to everyone with eyes, that we are completely and utterly rudderless. It leads to panicked passes, poor 5th tackle decisions and just general confusion on who is supposed to be doing what.

While I'm more frustrated than I've ever been with the WT, I'm starting to ask what more they can possibly do to resolve this problem? We have no halfback at the club that can implement the coaches plan. Unless your Wayne Bennett, the coach can't really do shit unless the game manager can't translate your directions onto the field. We've gone after pretty much every half that has become available, including halves in the ESL that aren't available and nobody has been interested. We call out to sack Brooks but then replace him with who? Wakeham isn't the answer and none of our juniors are ready for NRL.

So I genuinely ask everyone...if the WT board and CEO was replaced by you, supreme emperor of the Wests Tigers with absolute, unchallenged authority...what would you do to fix this mess? Particularly, what would you do to fix our halfback problem?

The first thing we need to do is sack Brooks because we know he’s bad value.

I’d much rather try other players than stick to a losing formula

Next, I’d have the wisdom to know that I only have a slice of knowledge and I’d engage someone who knew their stuff to find us a half back.

That could come from a lower grade here or elsewhere.

If I’m stuck with Brooks, id have him working with different coaches.

Tigerm

First Grade

Good post, I think Brooks has had enough time and coaches to show he just hasn't got the capabilities to run a footy team around the park.

I believe he should be gone, we can't do any worse with someone else, we are 0&6 after all, I didn't see the game where they dropped Wakeham, but it was game 2, Brooks has had 10 years.
Moving Brooks on gives the club a $1m+ to go to market, really anybody who can pass or kick well would do for now.

This adoration of Brooks is just so strange and sending us continually backwards, we have blamed everyone for his failures, coaches, halves & forwards have been replaced on a regular basis to allow him to do his job, nothing has worked, they need to face reality. He is the only constant here over the last decade.

I've advocated for a while now that the board just needs someone with a bit of footy nous to be included and get a footy GM who has been in the NRL scene for a while (look what Gould has done for both Penrith and Canterbury), who can relate to the board without fear or favour.
TBH, I never liked Sheens as a coach, but when he came as the GM of the footy, I thought he was doing OK, he should of stayed there, but his ego got the better of him and he started to believe the press, when they said how great he was as a coach, it was bullshit and the board fell for it.

But, will they do anything about anything?

Good post, I think Brooks has had enough time and coaches to show he just hasn't got the capabilities to run a footy team around the park.

I believe he should be gone, we can't do any worse with someone else, we are 0&6 after all, I didn't see the game where they dropped Wakeham, but it was game 2, Brooks has had 10 years.
Moving Brooks on gives the club a $1m+ to go to market, really anybody who can pass or kick well would do for now.

This adoration of Brooks is just so strange and sending us continually backwards, we have blamed everyone for his failures, coaches, halves & forwards have been replaced on a regular basis to allow him to do his job, nothing has worked, they need to face reality. He is the only constant here over the last decade.

I've advocated for a while now that the board just needs someone with a bit of footy nous to be included and get a footy GM who has been in the NRL scene for a while (look what Gould has done for both Penrith and Canterbury), who can relate to the board without fear or favour.
TBH, I never liked Sheens as a coach, but when he came as the GM of the footy, I thought he was doing OK, he should of stayed there, but his ego got the better of him and he started to believe the press, when they said how great he was as a coach, it was bullshit and the board fell for it.

But, will they do anything about anything?

Well as GM of footy he jagged a couple of signings, obviously didn’t do much to assist Madge. We saw Lucy leave and Nofo off to the storm and hasn’t been the same player since he got back.

Then he appointed Benji as his successor and dragged in Robbie and Furner who aren’t performing.

Now he’s the worst coach in the NRL by a long way.

We’d be crazy not to quietly sound out Des, Flanagan, Morris etc and call in Tim about turning up next year and invent a trouble to save him humiliation.

Nothing expressly personal, Tim and co “ out of their depth” having abandoned process and good governance.

But as chief dictator of the club on halfback issues, I’d go with what I said.

I’d protect Brooksy make up same lame excuse why he has to leave “family reasons” I’m not heartless. Find him a long lost thirdly adopted niece in the Uk he has to care for.

He’d enjoy the super league, play amongst his talented peers, drink a hot bovril during 4th division games on his days off supporting the Grimsby Railway Rovers. Get the “niece” to pay for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts