What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spirit over skill: The unlikely undefeated Knights

TooheysNew

Coach
Spirit over skill: The unlikely undefeated Knights
by Robert Crosby

As we reach the end of round two, there are only three teams who remain undefeated in the NRL.

Sitting atop the ladder are Penrith, a side few expected to make an impact last season, yet ended up finishing just one game shy of their first grand final since 2003. With a fully fit roster, the Panthers have carried on their strong form, scoring tries at will, as was the case against the Gold Coast.

In second is South Sydney, ever since they performed the lap of honour last October, the Rabbitohs haven't looked like losing a match. Dominant performances against St. Helens and Brisbane were complemented by a determined showing over arch-rivals the Roosters in a match where they were tested, having to display their championship credentials to remain undefeated so far.

Sitting alongside Penrith and South Sydney are Newcastle. After suffering a horror 2014, the Knights have started the year with back-to-back wins over much more fancied opponents in the Warriors and Cowboys.

While the Panthers and Rabbitohs have based their wins on attacking prowess, the Knights have produced gritty defensive efforts and a willingness to pass the ball that was severely lacking during Wayne Bennett's reign.

On Saturday night, the Knights appeared destined to go down in North Queensland. Staring down a 14-0 deficit they could have easily opted to take the easy way out and allow their opponents to walk over them, as was the case throughout much of 2014.

Instead, they chose to exhibit some daring with their attack, producing a fantastic try to Joseph Leilua off the back of a kick from a scrum.

Under Bennett this sort of play was non-existent.

With Rick Stone back at the helm the Knights have shown a style of play that will bring fans back, while also playing with a defensive attitude reminiscent of the glory days of the club.

Throughout the second half the Knights withstood countless Cowboys attacking raids to keep them scoreless. Having stood up to the attack of North Queensland, the Knights again displayed a willingness to pass the ball coming up with tries to Akuila Uate and the match winner courtesy of Joseph Leilua.

Watching the match on Saturday night, it wasn't until they hit the front with five minutes remaining that the Knights looked like winning. They had been dominated throughout, struggled to get inside the Cowboys attacking zone and had to deal with a crowd against them, and yet their courage and willingness to stay in the match ultimately won them the game.

Few would have expected Newcastle to sit alongside the likes of Penrith and South Sydney at the start of the season, but after watching their opening two performances opposition teams will know they're in for a contest when the Knights come to town.

With only two rounds contested so far, it's too early to say whether the Knights are premiership contenders, but with the tenacity displayed so far things appear to have improved in the Hunter.

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/25618-spirit-over-skill-the-unlikely-undefeated-knights

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Finally a positive article about the team. I like how the team is headed; spirit over skill. We actually have plenty of skill in the side and if our spirit, grit and determination continue, we'll make the top 8 easy.

Burwood

Bench
We would have been 0-2 under the same style of football as last year. I lost count of the amount of times under Bennett that we were only a try down but often wondered to myself, "where are these points going to come from?"

The most pleasing thing about the last two weeks is that we have kept two very strong attacking teams scoreless in the second half. We're just two quality props away from being a top 4 side.

Bennett never got how skilled a side he had. Our defence is old school Knights. Rick has this side bleeding red and blue. Something I have not seen in at least a decade.

Noname36

First Grade
We need to fix our discipline and our bench and I think our skill will be right up there with our spirit. It's hard to know how the side is going in attack when in the first two games we kept losing the ball or giving away penalties before we could build any momentum.

I'm actually really disappointed Houston wasn't charged by the judiciary. I think Stone has a lot of great attributes as a coach but I've never felt he had the balls to drop under performing players. Houston must be dropped after that effort and probably Fa'alogo too. We don't put ourselves under so much pressure without them there on Saturday. Replace them with Tapine and Vai Vai and all of a sudden our bench looks a whole lot better.

aqua_duck

Coach
Houston gave away 4 penalties on his own on Saturday night, that sort of ill discipline isn't acceptable especially for someone who has such little impact

Noname36

First Grade
I'm actually starting to get really angry he keeps staying in the side. I get that way with Gidley too but at least I can somewhat understand him getting picked due to being the captain, always trying, etc. However for the life of me I just can't understand what Houston is doing there. He makes zero impact, misses a lot of tackles and gives away a heap of penalties consistently. It's not that we have nobody else and have to play him either. We have a few really talented younger blokes that he's holding back.

I very much doubt Stone is going to drop him, especially after we won. A win shouldnt automatically assure you a spot though if you did everything you could to lose it for your side. I know he's in thick with Gidley and Buderus so I hope that's not what's keeping him in the side. I hate the boys club mentality.

I was counting down the days until Tariq can play hoping he'd knock Houston out but now it really wouldn't surprise me if Stockwell was the one to get pushed out when he's easily been our best bench player.

Stockwell has been solid as a rock. I can see him getting better each week. Houston has to go. Vai Vai and Tapine need to be brought in and hopefully we can get big Sam firing as well. Those kids on the bench along with Tyler Randall I would like to see week in week out. I feel it is time we use the talent we have over hacks who really are just injury cover at any other club.

Whats Doing

Bench
I have seen more skill in the knights over the last 2 weeks than we ever saw in the previous 3 seasons.

Also we have a much better attitude which is showing when we have been behind.

We would be 0-2 if still under Bennett.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I have to admit, when it comes to speed and skill, my mind goes back to the semi final in Melbourne. We played a quality game of football that night. There wasn't too many others played like that, if any.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Whilst some are keen to see us improve our skill and execution, I think one of things I hope we continue to see is the ability of this team to win 'ugly' - a trait of those sides that genuinely compete in the NRL rather than making up the numbers.

Traditionally the Knights have been in the latter group but the sides with a good culture and belief have that ability to win games even when they are playing crap...I think that is one of the things that is coming with the maturing attitude of players like Mullen, Scott, Snowden, etc. but more importantly the style and influence of Stone.

Bennett was supposedly known as a man manager but I think Stone brings an added level of 'team and club management' giving everybody a simple but effective culture to believe in, getting buy in and then the ability to get everybody working in that one direction...for him, for themselves and for each other.

What will define how we go this year and what I want to see will be how we come back after our first loss (which will come at some stage) and that will be the gauge of whether we want to be genuine competitors or if we still are just happy to make up the numbers...at this stage though, as a fan I like what I see building in this club for this season, regardless of where we end up in September

Joker's Wild

Coach
Whilst some are keen to see us improve our skill and execution, I think one of things I hope we continue to see is the ability of this team to win 'ugly' - a trait of those sides that genuinely compete in the NRL rather than making up the numbers.

Traditionally the Knights have been in the latter group but the sides with a good culture and belief have that ability to win games even when they are playing crap...I think that is one of the things that is coming with the maturing attitude of players like Mullen, Scott, Snowden, etc. but more importantly the style and influence of Stone.

Bennett was supposedly known as a man manager but I think Stone brings an added level of 'team and club management' giving everybody a simple but effective culture to believe in, getting buy in and then the ability to get everybody working in that one direction...for him, for themselves and for each other.

What will define how we go this year and what I want to see will be how we come back after our first loss (which will come at some stage) and that will be the gauge of whether we want to be genuine competitors or if we still are just happy to make up the numbers...at this stage though, as a fan I like what I see building in this club for this season, regardless of where we end up in September

The fact that no one besides Boyd followed Bennett when he left speaks volumes to this. Plenty of them had the opportunity to but chose to stay and believe in the team, coach and club. Stone would have been a massive part of that

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
The fact that no one besides Boyd followed Bennett when he left speaks volumes to this. Plenty of them had the opportunity to but chose to stay and believe in the team, coach and club. Stone would have been a massive part of that

Let's not forget that he brought four players to the knights from the Dragons. I guess winning a premiership under him may have increased their desire to follow him. I was worried that the knights were going to lose a heap of players but it just looks like head job boy and possibly Gagai.

1qaz

Juniors
Not really.
When Bennett left the Broncos, Boyd was unwanted by the Broncos.
They preferred Steve Michaels over him.
The other player was Nick Emmett who was a QLD Cup Player at best.

When Bennett left the Dragons obviously Boyd followed.
Mckinnon wanted to come home so the timing was perfect.
Scott didn't come till a season later when the Dragons did even want him
Smith came from the Sharks and came due to marriage issues.

Now Bennett is at the Broncos, Boyd of course followed.
Waddell wasn't wanted by the Knights and there's Boyce who is a NYC player, far from a superstar.

Players hardly ever do move for a coach, unless they unwanted, homesick or offered big $$$