What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones VIII

Apey

Staff member
I think this was the first episode where I was no longer immersed. I was too busy thinking about what stupid 'twist' would be next. Turned out the biggest one was the one I always wanted but done disappointingly. But enough about Daenarys, other thoughts...

Jaime - completely botched. Jaime, who killed the Mad King to prevent the burning of the city, apparently doesn't care about the people. What even was the point of his story? Going back to Cersei for love. Oh boy. Why would Cersei deserve to die with him?

Arya - what in the flying f**k was that scene with her awkwardly staring at a horse after half a dozen fake-out deaths? The plot armour is strong with this one. I thought the Hound caring for her was great, but at the same time it felt really f**king stupid how quickly she changed her mind.

Tyrion - he kinda just wandered aimlessly around and had very little to do this episode. I guess it's kind of in line with how dumb and useless he's been this season. Pretty dumb they had him be the one to get Varys killed but they've turned Tyrion into an idiot so whatever. Don't believe it's in his character to betray Varys like that tbh.

Varys - had to go. Betrayed Daenarys. Shame we'll never find out anything about what that voice said to him in the flames though hey.

Grey Worm - never saw him again after he killed those Lannister guards.

Next week's trailer - where the f**k did all those Unsullied come from lmao. Someone on reddit said it best, Daenarys armies seem to grow the more they are defeated.

Apey

Staff member
Kinda conflicted about Cleganebowl. Looked good, we'd been hyping it up and waiting for it a long time, but it was kinda stupid how The Mountain just was unkillable. The Hound essentially dying to fire was fitting I guess.

Timbo

Staff member
Predictions for next week? I’m guessing Jon kills Danerys after she kills one of - if not both - the Stark sisters and then disappears into a Dexter style ending living in a cabin in the woods on his own in the North. Gendry ends up as a placeholder on the throne, with the series ending as it started with a Baratheon in charge. Gendry will be acknowledged as a placeholder whilst the powers that be acknowledge that the way leaders are chosen in Westeros has to change.

And it’ll be deeply disappointing.

mongoose

Coach
I didn't mind the episode to be honest. It showed how mindless war turns everything into where every character ends up fending for themselves and trying to survive. Cersie was reduced to a powerless, scared damsel in distress completely afraid she would die. I think it was more important to see her in that state than seeing someone get revenge on her. I am so f**king glad arya didn't kill her, that would have been the worst thing ever.

Yeah ok Dany going mad was over the top. I mean she must have been getting bored just laying the city to waste for what seemed like an hour but she did lose a dragon in the previous ep which is like a child to her. She witnessed missindei get executed. One of her advisers just betrayed her whom she executed. She doesn't trust her other advisor, nor does she trust Jon snow. She did mention she feels nothing but fear in westeros. Shit just got to her lol

I still preferred it to the farce that was Episode 3.

Apey

Staff member
I forgot to mention Bronn because he wasn't in the episode. He seems completely pointless too now.

Next week

Jon to kill Daenarys but reject the throne

Arya to... ride back to Winterfell and chill with Sansa?

Tyrion to... err... legit hard to think of anything for him to do because he's been dumb and useless in Season 8.

Apey

Staff member
I didn't mind the episode to be honest. It showed how mindless war turns everything into where every character ends up fending for themselves and trying to survive. Cersie was reduced to a powerless, scared damsel in distress completely afraid she would die. I think it was more important to see her in that state than seeing someone get revenge on her. I am so f**king glad arya didn't kill her, that would have been the worst thing ever.

Yeah ok Dany going mad was over the top. I mean she must have been getting bored just laying the city to waste for what seemed like an hour but she did lose a dragon in the previous ep which is like a child to her. She witnessed missindei get executed. One of her advisers just betrayed her whom she executed. She doesn't trust her other advisor, nor does she trust Jon snow. She did mention she feels nothing but fear in westeros. Shit just got to her lol

I still preferred it to the farce that was Episode 3.

I agree with this too despite my criticisms. I think the general underlying plot and themes were okay. Bad writing to execute it and some character arcs were severely destroyed in the process.

mongoose

Coach
I agree with this too despite my criticisms. I think the general underlying plot and themes were okay. Bad writing to execute it and some character arcs were severely destroyed in the process.

after letting it sink in a bit I think the main take away from it was that Daenerys has now become the worst character in the whole show. Worse than Cersie, worse than Joffrey, worse than the night king, worse than ramsey… okay maybe not worse than ramsey, he cut off a mans penis.

Springs09

Juniors
Daenerys was always crazy and I don't know how people rooted for her in the first place. Was it just because dragons? She fell in love with her rapist, decided to take over her abusive brother's quest to conquer a throne and land she barely knew and had a teenage mentality towards just about everything. Sounds like her final turn was just geniused but she was always a stupid character.

Anyway hopefully only a week and a bit left and it will be the end of everyone constantly talking about this rubbish.

Timbo

Staff member
I like how Jamie pushing Bran out of the window right at the the beginning foreshadowed exactly the same thing happening to his 7-season-long character development in this episode.

Jaime: ‘I violated my oath as kings guard and assasinated the Mad King to save the people of Kings Landing’

Also Jaime: ‘I don’t care about innocent people’

f**ks sake, they aren’t even trying.

Parra Pride

Coach
had a teenage mentality towards just about everything. Sounds like her final turn was just geniused but she was always a stupid character.

To be fair she is like thirteen at the start of the books, so her acting like a spoiled teenage for most of the story isn't all that odd when she is a spoiler teenager.