What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports star feared drowned at Bethells

Big Mick

Referee
I will do, mate. If there's something specific you'd like me to pass on, PM it to me, and I'll print them out for the family. There's also a makeshift message board down at the beach, so if you've got something for Sonny himself or for other fans, send that to me, too, and I'll pin it up.

(This is an open offer, incidentally - other people can feel free to do the same, and I'll pass it all on. I expect to be at the beach for about two hours.)

Can I send you something as well mate?

I'd love to pass on wishes for Sonny...and more importantly...pass on a message to his younger brother.

Unfortunately I was in a similar position when I was his age...and I know exactly how he is feeling atm.

Big Mick

Referee
that poster has a history of being pathetic.

unfortunately it's inevitable jokes will come out, though. it's just a shame it was that quick.

Damn straight. I just hope Warriors fans know that is a dead set minority and the absolute prick that he is has lost a sh!tload of respect from me personally.

Dave Q

Coach
Big Micks revelation is yet another way in which Sonnys story has touched people.

People are being a little less reserved, a little bit more open and that cant be a bad thing in the scheme of things.

You know, Sonnys love for his family knew no bounds or limits.

I was rescued by a stranger. Afterwards I found out that I was last of 5 people he rescued.

This is no seasoned well-equipped life-saver, this was joe mug off the street, learning to surf.

He probably just said to himself Oh look people are in dire trouble, they are drowning, I will help them.

And then he methodically set about saving all of our lives.

Some people on the beach watched on, somewhat ghoulishly.

On the beach he waited until I recovered, than he asked if I was Ok and then he moved on staright away.

He didnt expect a thank you or anything. He wasnt hanging around for glory.

I went back to find him a few times, that afternoon, the next day etc to thank him properly but I never saw him again.

He must have had a bit of the Sonny in him.

Last edited:
I still find myself looking up sites to see what has happened. I would like to also congratulate the Warriors for keeping Sonny in their 2009 squad, if he isn't there in person he definitely will be there in spirit. I applaud the Warriors, and all of you. The club isn't all that is family, our code is too. We're brothers and sisters in arms.

Jesbass, I know we've never properly spoken, please give my best wishes to the family. I can't believe how strong they are, I have never seen it, and probably never will again.

Some people are just born as a superhero. The ones in the movies you see act it out, but the real ones like Sonny Fai is the sort of person to inspire someone, to motivate someone and to shape someone. It's acts like this that defines Sonny as a true hero.

Jesbass

First Grade
Can I send you something as well mate?

I'd love to pass on wishes for Sonny...and more importantly...pass on a message to his younger brother.

Unfortunately I was in a similar position when I was his age...and I know exactly how he is feeling atm.

Of course you can send something, mate. It's an open offer. I'm sorry to hear of your own similar experience, but coming from where you are is probably exactly what the brother needs to hear.

Big Micks revelation is yet another way in which Sonnys story has touched people.

People are being a little less reserved, a little bit more open and that cant be a bad thing in the scheme of things.

You know, Sonnys love for his family knew no bounds or limits.

I was rescued by a stranger. Afterwards I found out that I was last of 5 people he rescued.

This is no seasoned well-equipped life-saver, this was joe mug off the street, learning to surf.

He probably just said to himself Oh look people are in dire trouble, they are drowning, I will help them.

And then he methodically set about saving all of our lives.

Some people on the beach watched on, somewhat ghoulishly.

On the beach he waited until I recovered, than he asked if I was Ok and then he moved on staright away.

He didnt expect a thank you or anything. He wasnt hanging around for glory.

I went back to find him a few times, that afternoon, the next day etc to thank him properly but I never saw him again.

He must have had a bit of the Sonny in him.

Well said, Dave. Very touching.

I still find myself looking up sites to see what has happened. I would like to also congratulate the Warriors for keeping Sonny in their 2009 squad, if he isn't there in person he definitely will be there in spirit. I applaud the Warriors, and all of you. The club isn't all that is family, our code is too. We're brothers and sisters in arms.

Jesbass, I know we've never properly spoken, please give my best wishes to the family. I can't believe how strong they are, I have never seen it, and probably never will again.

Some people are just born as a superhero. The ones in the movies you see act it out, but the real ones like Sonny Fai is the sort of person to inspire someone, to motivate someone and to shape someone. It's acts like this that defines Sonny as a true hero.

Absolutely, NT. Consider it passed on as of this coming Saturday. :thumn

Dave Q

Coach
Thanks Jes,

When he rescued me he was on a pink styrofoam surfboard, the kind that kids used.

When I went down the next day, I had my own fibreglass surfboard which I wanted to give him in thanks. A small gesture but I thought apt.

But he didnt show.

On the beach, I recall asking him if he was on holiday, but he said he didnt have a job.

So some people hate the unemployed and call them all lazy etc, but dont you believe it.

AliN

Live Update Team
how time passes by so quickly. If only there was closure for the family. But great to see the support for them all.

www.warriors.co.nz

STILL NO SIGN OF SONNY FAI AFTER 10 DAYS

The search goes on for missing Vodafone Warrior Sonny Fai despite failing to find any sign of him since he disappeared at Bethells Beach on Auckland’s west coast 10 days ago.
Family, friends and organisations again searched the coastline in the region today (January 14).
Sonny’s family and friends will continue their vigil at the beach as they seek to bring him home.
On behalf of the family, the Vodafone Warriors wish to thank a vast number of people and organisations who have provided invaluable support since Sonny’s disappearance:
* Dean Storey, Life Saving Manager, Surf Life Saving Northern Region.
* James Lea, Regional Supervisor – West Coast, Surf Life Saving Northern Region plus all staff and everyone involved from the Bethells Beach Surf Life Saving Club, who have done an outstanding job.
* The Muriwai and Piha Surf Life Saving Clubs for the support they’ve provided to the Bethells Beach club.
* Constable Gavin Bailey (Avondale Police). He has been the main police liaison with family and the primary police contact. He played with Sonny at top level and has been a great support along with Constables Adrian Heffernan and Reg Alofa, also from the Avondale Police.
* Detective Sergeant Eugene Pickett and Senior Sergeant Jill Rogers, of the Waitemata Police.
* Senior Constable Alfred Filipaina, of the Manukau Police.
* Constable Barry Gallagher and the Police Eagle Helicopter Crew.
* CEO Chris Hart and Operations Manager Roger Hortop from Helilink.

Auckland Regional Council Chairman Mike Lee and Director of Parks Lance Vervoort plus the ARC Park Rangers.
* Coast Guard Air Crew.

* Graeme Steel, EAP Services.

* Peter Leitch and Mike Morton of the Mad Butcher plus The Mad Butcher Store, Mangere.
* General Manager Mark Cooper and Head Chef Fred Pene of Spotless Catering, Mt Smart Stadium.

* Chief Executive David Gallop and Chief Operating Officer Graham Annesley of the National Rugby League.
* Duane Perrott, General Manager, Trans-Tasman, Air New Zealand.
* Stephen Smith, Sponsorship Director, Lion Breweries.

* Tim Young, National Marketing Manager, Samsung NZ.
* Leon Marsh, Sponsorship Manager - Sport, Vodafone NZ.
* Vodafone One Tribe members.

* Bethells Beach residents for their support, understanding and tolerance.
* Special mention should be made of Sonny’s sister Lalelei, the family’s main contact with the club who has been very strong for her family throughout this ordeal.
* Numerous former Vodafone Warriors including Logan Swann, Ruben Wiki, Monty Betham, Jerry Seuseu, Louis Anderson, Duane Mann and Awen Guttenbeil plus former Vodafone Warriors coach and the New Zealand Rugby League’s current National High Performance Director Tony Kemp.
* Members of the rugby league media for their sensitivity and understanding during a difficult time.
* Countless others – there are too many to mention – who have supported the family and search operation by giving their time or through pledges of support.

Micistm

Bench
that poster has a history of being pathetic.

unfortunately it's inevitable jokes will come out, though. it's just a shame it was that quick.

I have unfortunately received a couple of text jokes, and I find it's probably best to delete and not comment, rather than make too much fuss about it. IMO it was not meant to be malicious at all, but it's a little like receiving a joke text about a family member, and the sender would not have a clue that it would bother or upset me.
That does make me a bit of a hypocrite I admit, as there have been other joke texts along those lines in regard to other celebs, and I'd pass them along and Laugh along. This has taught me a bit of a lesson, as when it's a person you have an affinity with it hits home how cruel these things are.

Dave Q

Coach
Everyone regrets something or other Misty.

I am still pretty proud to hold a candle up for Sonny Fai.

It is clear to me that a lot of people have been emotionally wounded by his loss. The list above is just a small one.

Maybe we accept that the sea is his home now and we need a ceremony to pluck his soul from the ocean to pay tribute but then return it so as he can save more lives.

Just a thought.

Jesbass

First Grade
Hey guys, just a heads up that if anyone else has any messages to be passed on to the Fai family, I'll be printing them out in about 12 hours.

JoeD

First Grade
Anyone know what the chances of actually finding him are now after 10 days? Do bodies show up after such a long time? After 10 days in the water would there be much of a body left?

ozbash

Referee
Along those west coast beaches the biggest problem would be the bull kelp.
Some of it is 10 mtrs long and its so strong you,d need a knife or some sharp instrument to cut it.There are holes andd ledges under the rocks full of the stuff.

With the toing and froing of the waves/currents, if it picked somebody up, it would very quickly tangle and that would be that.

There is a place up on 90 mile called The Bluff, the locals will tell you that if you get wiped off you should swim out to sea and come in onto the beach, if you try to get back onto the rocks you are very likely to be grabbed by the kelp. If someone has to try and rescue you they face the same problem.

f**k west coast beaches.

Skinner

Coach
Somewhere I read (a forum somewhere) that after the last drowning at Bethalls, prior to Sonny's, it took 17 days for the body to turn up.

Often, of course, they don't.

Ozbash is right about those West Coast beaches - they take no prisoners.

Dave Q

Coach
If his body shows up, it is likely to be almost unrecognisable.

After a few days in the water, a body will turn blue and bloat up.

But at this time, it is most likely to have been feasted upon by various sea creatures inside and out. Thats just the cycle of life. They mean no harm.

Bits of him missing, other parts a slushy mess.

I like to remember the dead the way they were when alive. Thats how I would like to be remembered.

So I dont like viewings etc.

Maybe....maybe its better for the family if his just his clothes turn up.

A person is a spirit as much as they are physical.

Sonny lives by us now.

7499_sonny_fai_beach_a_614.jpg

Bethells beach searcher...sadly, the truth is that any and all hope was probably lost within an hour of him going missing.

He was no doubt aleady horridly exhausted from the rescue and earlier training, in which case, sadly and most tragically, even a few minutes in the surf would have worn him out and made him entirely unable to reach the relative safety of the surface.

pic: Rugby League Live

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
When I have slept and kicked out some house guests, I'll add some text to the photos taken today by Mrs Jesbass...

EDIT: Okay, I've finally found some time in the afternoon to attend to this.

Firstly, let me just say that the Fai family are the most amazingly humble, caring, and loving family I think I've ever had the honour of meeting. The first family members we saw were Sonny's grandmother, in her 70s, walking up and down the beach, and one of his uncles with his wife and kids. The small group gathered to pray before walking the beach. We conveyed our sorrow for the situation, and Sonny's aunt said simply: "We walk and we hope."

The rest of the family weren't there at that time, so my wife and I walked the beach ourselves, vainly looking for any sign of hope. People sunbathed and swam between the flags while we took in the ferocity of the waves and the impact they've had on the nearby cliff faces over time. If I had any hope of Sonny returning alive, it vanished pretty quickly. I'm grateful for that, however - I'd already experienced shock, denial, and anger, so it enabled me to find acceptance.

Not long after, I met a number of other Fai family members. This included Lalelei, Sonny's older sister who is essentially the family's spokesperson, and Gillesbie, the younger brother whom Sonny saved from the rip. I went there to show them love and compassion, to pass on messages of encouragement from good folk online, and to talk about a potential way of honouring Sonny.

La hugged my wife and I twice - firstly for just turning up, and secondly when we went to leave after a 20 minute or so conversation. She was inspiring. She remained strong, and her faith enabled her to be upbeat about Sonny, even while accepting that he's probably gone. La said it was surreal; that it feels as though Sonny is at training. She switched between saying "Sonny is" and "Sonny was" a lot. She's conscious of her parents and of Gillesbie, and she's wary of when it'll truly sink in.

She was incredibly grateful for the messages that I passed on, and she asked for phone numbers of a couple of people so that she can call them to thank them. Even in her loss, she continues to give.

She said she has had people come from as far as England and Canada to pay their respects. Amazing.

She shared a lot of personal anecdotes about Sonny. His motto for life was "Don't give up" - how fitting, then, that these were the words that he used to inspire Gillesbie to get to the beach.

We also talked about doing something to honour Sonny which would give fans a chance to pay their respects, and also raise some money for the Fai family. She has given me her phone number, but I am conscious that as it is Sonny's mobile, if she misses the call, I'll get his answerphone.

A large group of people from Sonny's church youth group gathered at the other end of the beach to maintain the vigil.

I left the beach feeling extremely positive about the situation, accepting our loss but in sheer admiration at the strength and dignified manner in which the family have held themselves since Sonny was swept away a fortnight ago.

I had assumed I would give, but I had never guessed that I would receive. God bless them.

n705372800_1270524_5551.jpg

Some of the Fai family, (the three people to the left), including Sonny's 70-something grandmother, patrolling the beach.

n705372800_1270525_6489.jpg

n705372800_1270526_7394.jpg

n705372800_1270527_8303.jpg

n705372800_1270528_9230.jpg

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
n705372800_1270550_6583.jpg

n705372800_1270551_7800.jpg

The Fai family gather for prayer before enduring another long and hot day on the lookout for their boy. Note the number of yellow 'Keep The Faith' t-shirts.