What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Springboks v Wallabies

ozbash

Referee
South Africa are clinging to the faint hope they can rack up two big wins over Australia in the next two weekends and walk away with the Tri-Nations title.

The Springboks need a near miracle to add the southern hemisphere trophy to their World Cup win, requiring bonus point wins over the Wallabies in Durban on Saturday and Johannesburg a week later and then an Australian victory over New Zealand in Brisbane next month.
The Boks have scored just three tries in their first four Tri-Nations Tests this year but now need to score eight in two games to secure the bonus points.
"There is still a chance (that we could win the Tri-Nations) and we want to go out there and play positive rugby," Springboks captain Victor Matfield told media today. www.stuff.co.nz

this is going to be a huge game for the 3 teams.

c'mon aussie :shock:

ozbash

Referee
Rocky Elsom was last night fast-tracked into the Wallabies team, while his Waratahs forwards teammate Matt Dunning returns to the starting line-up for Saturday night's Tri Nations Test against South Africa in Durban.

A week ago Elsom was considered no chance of playing in Durban because of his ankle injury, but Wallabies coach Robbie Deans's faith in him was shown by selecting him in the back row, believing he offered enough at one training session this week to indicate he was again ready for Test football.
Wallabies second-rower James Horwill, who has foot problems, has also been selected with Deans realising that he must have every aggressive forward available to ensure they rattle the Springboks.
When asked about the fitness of Elsom and Horwill last night, Deans replied: "Both have come through the week and done well. So they'll only get better with another outing."
Deans also said Elsom's inclusion could have the desired effect of destabilising the home team.
"Rocky is an influential, inspirational player, because he does intimidate, and blokes alongside him tend to respond to that," Deans said.
"It's good to have him back, and he certainly didn't enjoy watching the last outing [the loss to the All Blacks in Auckland]. Hopefully, he will bring some of that grumpiness with him."
Deans added that nothing sinister should be read into Dunning's elevation to the front row, resulting in Al Baxter's return to the bench.
"It's not a reflection of ranking, and the volume of game time for the two players will not change," Deans said.
"It is just the order we will be using this week, and we'll be looking for Matt to put the afterburners on. Al has performed really well this year, and we know he is capable of going the distance.
"Matt doesn't have the same volume of game time under his belt, but he will be an asset as it will be dry and it is going to be fast."
Before the Test team was announced, Deans said that he had been a long-time fan of Horwill's, realising his potential when the then-Crusaders coach first saw him play for the Reds in 2006.
Deans was immediately struck by Horwill's aggression, competitiveness, skills and attitude to football.
"I really don't try to think too much about footy, because there is a trap in over complicating things," Horwill said yesterday.
"It is just a game after all. You just go out there and do what you have to do at the best of your ability. And that's all I've been trying to do."
Horwill has also experienced disappointment, but has used that in his favour, explaining that his omission from last year's World Cup squad made him realise that he had to improve his approach to the game. A lot of it was up in his mind.
"Every player has a disappointment in their career, and not going to the World Cup last year was mine," Horwill said.
"I then wasn't happy with my form in the ARC [Australian Rugby Championship], and so I thought to myself 'it's now or never'. I decided it was time for me to really step up."
That included improving his on-field composure. For some time, Horwill was an easy victim for opponents, because he could be provoked, leading to visits to the sin bin. He knew that he would continually be overlooked for Test squad through these indiscretions.
"I tended to have brain snaps, where I did something stupid, which at the time I thought was a good idea, but when you look back, you realise it wasn't," Horwill said.
"That's something I've worked pretty hard on to eradicate. I began telling myself - if it seems stupid at the time, it's probably not a good idea to do it."
WALLABIES TEAM
D Mitchell; L Tuqiri, S Mortlock (c), B Barnes, P Hynes; M Giteau, S Cordingley; W Palu, G Smith, R Elsom, D Vickerman, J Horwill, M Dunning, S Moore, B Robinson.
Res: T Polota-Nau, A Baxter, H McMeniman, P Waugh, B Sheehan, R Cross,

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4665188a1823.html

Parra

Referee
We are taking the overs that are on offer.

Showdown is in Brisbane where we lift the cup.

ozbash

Referee
The Springboks will stick with their expansive style of play in their Tri-Nations series match against Australia despite calls for a more conservative approach.

"For us to turn back now on what we want to go do, it will mean we don't trust ourselves," South Africa coach Peter De Villiers told a news conference on the eve of the test in Durban (1am Sunday NZ time).

"I think the players will get to grips with what we want to play, and I believe at the end it will be a playing style the whole world will fear," he added.

"We have the bulk and the speed, we have everything. We just have to put it together so that they utilise the opportunities that arise by rounding off the moves."

De Villiers came under fire after last week's 19-0 defeat to the All Blacks in Cape Town but the coach was firm in his commitment to a more inclusive style of play.

"I must make it clear, we want to play a total rugby expansive game, we want to throw the ball around, we want to use all of our players so that they can enjoy the game, and so that the spectators can enjoy the game," he said.

"If you look at our starter moves, and the way we manage to break the line, it's all coming into place. But after that, the decision-making from there is one thing that the players are not used to."

An open approach to attack promises exciting rugby and the ability to score from anywhere on the field, but the world champions have produced just three tries in four Tri-Nations matches.

Coach Robbie Deans made five changes to the Wallabies team that succumbed to New Zealand in Auckland with flanker Rocky Elsom, fullback Drew Mitchell, scrumhalf Sam Cordingley, lock Dan Vickermann and tighthead prop Matt Dunning named to start.

The return to fitness of Elsom and Vickermann boosts Australia's lineout arsenal while Mitchell and Cordingley replace the injured Adam Ashley-Cooper and Luke Burgess respectively.

A victory over the Springboks in Durban or Johannesburg next week will set up a series-decider against New Zealand in Brisbane in September.

De Villiers' charges will have to hit the mark in both matches, scoring at least four tries in each, for the Springboks to have any chance of winning the series.

Australia are second with nine points, five behind New Zealand, while South Africa are third with five points.
SOUTH AFRICA: 15-Conrad Jantjes, 14-JP Pietersen, 13-Adrian Jacobs, 12-Jean de Villiers, 11-Jongi Nokwe, 10-Butch James, 9-Fourie du Preez, 8-Pierre Spies, 7-Juan Smith, 6-Schalk Burger, 5-Victor Matfield (c), 4-Andries Bekker, 3-CJ van der Linde, 2-Bismarck du Plessis, 1-Tendai Mtawarira. Reserves: 16-Adriaan Strauss, 17-Brian Mujati, 18-Joe van Niekerk, 19-Luke Watson, 20-Enrico Januarie, 21-Francois Steyn, 22-Percy Montgomery.

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4666569a22448.html

ozbash

Referee
go dingo, you bloody beaut !!

Australia have broken their eight-year South African hoodoo with a fired-up Wallabies side stunning the Springboks in Durban to set up a battle with the All Blacks for the Tri-Nations title.

The Wallabies won 27-15 for their first win on South African soil since 2000.
It's another feather in the cap of Australian coach Robbie Deans, with his team putting up a stirring performance, applying plenty of pressure to the Boks who faltered with an error-riddled effort.
The Wallabies are now just one point behind New Zealand on the points table.
They still have a match to play in South Africa, meeting the Boks in Johannesburg next weekend.
Regardless of that result, the tournament title will come down to when they host the All Blacks in Brisbane on September 13 in the last Tri Nations match that also doubles as a Bledisloe Cup fixture.
The Wallabies were full of passion - and plenty of skill - as they bounced back from their mauling by the All Blacks at Eden Park.
Loosehead prop Benn Robinson scored a 27th minute try as Australia seized a 10-0 halftime lead which they never relinquished.
Rejuvenated wing Lote Tuqiri struck after the break and the win was sealed by skipper Sitrling Mortlock with a wonderful try 15 minutes from the finish when he cut back against the traffic and burst 25m to score between the posts.
Mortlock is the only survivor from the last Australian team to win in South Africa - also in Durban.
Matt Giteau converted to complete a masterful kicking display from the Australian first five-eight.
Springboks centre Adrian Jacobs closed the gap in the final quarter with two tries but it was all too late for the home team.
The loss is South Africa's third in a row and leaves them with just one win from five matches in the championship.
It is a result that will surely put plenty of heat on their new coach Peter de Villiers with the world champions now out of the Tri-Nations title hunt.
South Africa 15: Adrian Jacobs 2 tries; Percy Montgomery con; Butch James pen.

Australia 27: Benn Robinson, Lote Tuqiri, Stirling Mortlock tries; Matt Giteau 3 con, 2 pen.
HT: 0-10

www.stuff

I cant wait till sept 13, game of the year for me. 2 best teams in the world face off..

aussies1st

Staff member
If we can get a BP win against SA next week then if we do lose to the ABs we just need 1 BP.

meltiger

First Grade
If we can get a BP win against SA next week then if we do lose to the ABs we just need 1 BP.

Just finished watching the replay. I wouldn't get too excited, SA won't play that bad again.

A shame Giteau didn't toe the ball through right at the death there :crazy: though. The bp was looming and he tries to pick it up :crazy:

clipser

Juniors
i dunno melt, the boks have been awful.. expansive footy does not suit their style of play.. PDV is the worst coach they have seen in awhile.. sure they put the points on any team outside the top 3.. but do not compare to NZ or AUS...

meltiger

First Grade
i dunno melt, the boks have been awful.. expansive footy does not suit their style of play.. PDV is the worst coach they have seen in awhile.. sure they put the points on any team outside the top 3.. but do not compare to NZ or AUS...

Well, the way I see it is it's simply they are playing the wrong style of game.

Losing to the AB's is one thing, but getting spanked in Durban by us is another thing altogether - Remember, if not for Lote's unfortunate case of the dropsies, we could have scored another 2-3 tries.

The Boks will be a different side next week.

Parra

Referee
The boks forwards were their usual hard selves.

This was a good win for the Wallabies. Our backs will only get better - we had players all over the place in this test. We need to sort out the front row - Dunning got smashed in every aspect.

Seth Gecko

Juniors
Dunning is useless. He should have had his card marked 'never to play for the Wallabies again' after the World cup embarassment agaisnt England.
He is a joke and should be ditched. Give someone else a go.

Parra

Referee
When they moved him to tight head this year he started looking good. His last couple of performances have been awful - it's not just the scrums, every time he got the ball he was driven backwards.